Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Clicking Front Brakes ? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/63006-clicking-front-brakes.html)

phoenix 05-10-2015 04:55 PM

Clicking Front Brakes ?

Anybody have any idea what this noise is?

[YT]Mmr2lTGM-To[/YT]

Went to go for a drive yesterday as I dont use the car that often and noticed this when braking. It only happens when braking going forward and doesnt do it when reversing. It is a 05 WRX with Brembo calipers which have been on for ages now running Project MU GT Pro rotors and HC800 pads, both of which are fairly new and had no problems running the last RAC sprint but this is the first time the car has been out since then. I have had the cailpers off and pads out and checked the rotor. I can see nothing obvious at all that could be causing this.

RichX 05-10-2015 05:09 PM

Wheel bearing? Did you have to bash the old rotors off?
Did you clean the hub properly before installing the new rotors?

phoenix 05-10-2015 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;830920]Wheel bearing? Did you have to bash the old rotors off?
Did you clean the hub properly before installing the new rotors?[/QUOTE]

No didnt have to bash the old rotors off and yes when I replaced them 6 months and 1200ks ago I cleaned the hub face.

sir-revalot 06-10-2015 06:19 PM

Wheel nuts are all tight? haha lol, Seriously though it's more common than you would think

Slides on the calipers aren't sticky or stuck?

phoenix 06-10-2015 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=sir-revalot;830946]Wheel nuts are all tight? haha lol, Seriously though it's more common than you would think

Slides on the calipers aren't sticky or stuck?[/QUOTE]

Mate do you mean the metal pins that go through the top of the pads and hold in the leaf spring part that holds the pads in?

nauli 07-10-2015 08:01 AM

Carlo...this sort of noise was a problem brought up years ago (at least 10 or more ago) which afflicted cars fitted with DBA 5000 rotors (it used to happen on my '02 STi)....you can do a search, perhaps even on the DBA website. The issue came down to the anodising on the aluminium hats....from memory the solution was to clean off the anodising on the face of the hat where the wheel mounts up and also to clean the opposing face of the wheel....now I realise yours are PMU, but it may be worth a try....

Bram 07-10-2015 08:41 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;830971]Carlo...this sort of noise was a problem brought up years ago (at least 10 or more ago) which afflicted cars fitted with DBA 5000 rotors (it used to happen on my '02 STi)....you can do a search, perhaps even on the DBA website. The issue came down to the anodising on the aluminium hats....from memory the solution was to clean off the anodising on the face of the hat where the wheel mounts up and also to clean the opposing face of the wheel....now I realise yours are PMU, but it may be worth a try....[/QUOTE]

or just drive hard for a bit, and the anodising will wear off on the face of the wheel/hub. Thats what happened to my wilwood fron hats and my biot rear hats.

phoenix 07-10-2015 11:00 AM

[QUOTE=nauli;830971]Carlo...this sort of noise was a problem brought up years ago (at least 10 or more ago) which afflicted cars fitted with DBA 5000 rotors (it used to happen on my '02 STi)....you can do a search, perhaps even on the DBA website. The issue came down to the anodising on the aluminium hats....from memory the solution was to clean off the anodising on the face of the hat where the wheel mounts up and also to clean the opposing face of the wheel....now I realise yours are PMU, but it may be worth a try....[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve. I did see the posting when I was searching for answers so will look further into it as a possible solution. Didnt have any issues with my old Project MU SCR Pro rotors so sort of disregarded it when I read it. The new Project MU GT rotors I have on now have done some Ks and a couple of track events and had no issues untill now.

XT43 07-10-2015 06:01 PM

Give GOC a buzz Carl. Pretty sure he went through a similar issue a while back, had him stumped for a bit but he got it sorted. Can't remember the issue though.

sir-revalot 07-10-2015 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=phoenix;830960]Mate do you mean the metal pins that go through the top of the pads and hold in the leaf spring part that holds the pads in?[/QUOTE]

Okay yours has that style caliper.. I see different cars every day so it's hard to remember what car has what style.

Must be rotor or hub run-out. and the pads are moving in the caliper.

Try positioning the rotor on the hub in a different spot. ie. rotate it to the next hole or the one after. While you've got the caliper off make sure the pads are free to move in the caliper and its not caked with dust.