Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Dealership Statutory Warranty & Possible HG (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/63108-dealership-statutory-warranty-possible-hg.html)

dnbosiris 16-10-2015 09:33 PM

Dealership Statutory Warranty & Possible HG

i purchased a bugeye sti from a subaru dealership 9 days ago. when i first got the car home i noticed that the coolant was a little low. i topped it up and thought nothing of it.
today i had the car checked out by a trusted mechanic who also noticed the coolant was low. he then found recurring tiny air bubbles out the coolant header tank while engine was running. I say recurring because it's normal to get some air bubbles if the cooling system needs bleeding but these were obviously not those type of bubbles. he then did a TK test and it failed (the fluid turned green).

because of it's age it has a 1 month statutory warranty (confirmed this with dealership at sale)

first thing monday morning I will be requesting a tk test and telling them what i think it is.

i would appreciate any advise from anyone who has specifically dealt with a head gasket issue under statutory warranty before. i would hope that the dealership admits the fault straight away but i know what they are like and i wouldn't be surprised if they start trying to give me the run around.

mainly i'm worried that since it's only 3 weeks until the stat warranty runs out they may try to delay things for that time. if they try to delay then should i take it to somewhere like stechnic and have them do a report so I have something in writing to take to the dealership?

advise appreciated

RichX 16-10-2015 10:01 PM

Not having a good run, an engine fire and now this?

I'd take it back tomorrow and get onto it if it's a confirmed HG issue. Being a Subaru dealership, I would have thought you'd have a better chance of them fixing it for you.

I suppose the challenge is proving it was purchased that way?

Personally, I would think about the initial conversation you have with them, eg: Don't lose your shit, and take someone with you. You'd have a better chance of getting a better outcome.

If you can get an independent, qualified, reputable workshop to back you, that would also be good, prior to going if possible. Get everything in writing where you can and record your interactions in case it gets messy.

Maybe do a second leakdown test to 100% confirm. I thought I had done a head and it's fine a few months out. They may have just done a coolant change prior to selling and it's settling because it wasn't burped properly.

phizzle 16-10-2015 10:08 PM

Head gaskets are consumables, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnbosiris 16-10-2015 10:16 PM

[QUOTE=RichX;831416]Not having a good run, an engine fire and now this?
[/quote]

you're not wrong :(

[QUOTE=RichX;831416]
I'd take it back tomorrow and get onto it if it's a confirmed HG issue. Being a Subaru dealership, I would have thought you'd have a better chance of them fixing it for you.

I suppose the challenge is proving it was purchased that way?

Personally, I would think about the initial conversation you have with them, eg: Don't lose your shit, and take someone with you. You'd have a better chance of getting a better outcome.

If you can get an independent, qualified, reputable workshop to back you, that would also be good, prior to going if possible. Get everything in writing where you can and record your interactions in case it gets messy.

Maybe do a second leakdown test to 100% confirm. I thought I had done a head and it's fine a few months out. They may have just done a coolant change prior to selling and it's settling because it wasn't burped properly.[/QUOTE]

good advice thanks. given that it was purchased only last week i can only hope that there is no dispute over whether it was purchased that way (as it clearly was)!

Rslib72 16-10-2015 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=phizzle;831417]Head gaskets are consumables, good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

This^^^^^ unfortunately happened to a mate last year with a falcon under warranty was told this unless you have a generous dealership willing to fix a headgasket under warranty.

dnbosiris 16-10-2015 10:28 PM

[QUOTE=Rslib72;831419]This^^^^^ unfortunately happened to a mate last year with a falcon under warranty was told this unless you have a generous dealership willing to fix a headgasket under warranty.[/QUOTE]

really? wow ok. that kind of sucks. i guess at least i now know what to expect...

was that a stat warranty or some kind of extended warranty though?

dnbosiris 16-10-2015 10:44 PM

just found this

[url]https://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/sites/default/files/atoms/files/doihavetofixitusedcarwarrantyfordealers.pdf[/url]

page 7..

Cylinder head gasket leakage or seepage... Covered under stat warranty

superpuoz 17-10-2015 08:12 AM

If all else fails...

[url=http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Coolant-Leak-Repair-K-Seal-236mL.aspx?pid=357729&utm_source=shop_search&utm_medium=search_results&utm_campaign=g_shopping&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwIKxBRDKhOz7ytT30vkBEiQAT1NaPXv48zdoWs2L3H8vA27tl_UzbpGHGjDtttOmoiOxmv0aAkSh8P8HAQ#Recommendations]Coolant Leak Repair K-Seal 236mL - Supercheap Auto Australia[/url]

Ok ok ok.... before anyone else think (WTF).... I've tried this, and it worked. Many moons ago I had an E90 BMW, it suffered head gasket failure, being too stingy (then), I couldn't be bothered fixing it (as fixing a BMW is not cheap to say the least), so I googled crap and came out with this. It's a bag of mixed reviews, but because it's an old car, I didn't really gave a crap and tried it out. Surprise, surprise, this worked! never drop another coolant ever again. Gave it to a mate with a 2000 Explorer, it worked too.

From my experience, it definitely worked for me. Best $20.00 spent in my life (back then). But do Google because it's a mixed bag of reaction on this. For me, as I said earlier, it worked miraculously....

Good luck, but as people above said, being a Subaru dealership, you wouldn't think they would not do anything for you :) more chance then when you buy it from a backyard dealership.

joshrx 17-10-2015 10:13 AM

Was it subaru osborne park? They have staff there until 12 today that may help you out.

I'd recommend not using any gunk through the engine, its not a long term solution.

Worst case if subaru screw you, I believe you've pulled an engine out before? Might be time for round 2 (or 3). For stuff like head gasket, timing belts etc.. do it once do it right. You'll have the confidence it was done properly.

Sorry about the ongoing issues for you, it must really be testing your patience and spirit by now.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

phoenix 17-10-2015 10:20 AM

Maybe worse case scenario you pay for the part and the dealership covers the labour? Hopefully you can get them to cover it all though at the end of the day.

Good luck with it all anyway. I am sure they will try and worm their way out of it anyway.