Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY16 intermittent start problem- extended cranking (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/63112-my16-intermittent-start-problem-extended-cranking.html)

stewy85 17-10-2015 04:08 AM

MY16 intermittent start problem- extended cranking

Hi guys/girls,

Has anyone with an MY15/16 had any issues with extended cranking on start up? I've had my 16 premium manual for 3 weeks and has done it 3 times. Car runs and idles fine once started but once in a blue moon it will crank for 5-7 seconds, cough and splutter then finally fire up. Called the dealership and of course they want a video or the car for a week or so to replicate.

Just wondering if anyone has had this problem? Googled hard starts on 2015/6 and seems a few in America have had the issue. I'm thinking very intermittent fuel pressure regulator fault, like it's not holding base pressure when the car is off and seems to inject air for a while?

superpuoz 17-10-2015 08:02 AM

Doesn't sound right... I have a 15sti and never had problems cranking.... I dont drive it daily, so even after a prolong wait in the garage (a week at times) it cranks up after 2-3 seconds max and it never coughs and splutter.... can bad fuel be a cause of it since you had it 3 weeks? filled 'er up yet?

adelaide_wrxer 17-10-2015 09:08 AM

Hey, I had the same trouble with my 16 wrx. Ended up taking it in and they changed the spark plugs/ checked them and rounded one off. Didnt sovle it but what ive started doing is waiting about 20 seconds before turning the car off and then when starting it waiting for the fuel pump (I think) to stop making that winy sound (so accesories on but not started yet) and when that stops start it then. Hasnt had a long crank since.
Hope that helps

s20525xxx 17-10-2015 09:52 AM

Fuel pump controller prime the pump when u first put key on "on" position. If u start the car straight away, the car will struggle. Especially for e85 as well.

using the Perth-WRX mobile app

matto20v 17-10-2015 12:05 PM

MY16 Premium is push-button start. There is no "key in on position" action.

s20525xxx 17-10-2015 01:49 PM

If u need to press the brake or clutch to start the car, u can just not press the pedal down and the car electric system will be on first, then press the pedal to start.

stewy85 17-10-2015 03:25 PM

that's correct, with push button start, leave clutch out and press start button, to accessories and again to on. With the DIT engine it should leave 20-30psi of fuel pressure in the line for starting, so theres no real need to wait till the fuel pump primes... this is my 3rd WRX and the others haven't had this problem. You shouldn't need to wait etc.

Car has been refuelled on BP98, and runs smooth and idles fine, hardly notice its running.

Just a note on the priming the fuel pump too, I had tried that and makes no difference.

If you google - 2015 WRX hard start. people in America are having very similar issues, very limited but... one guy had his base model replaced for a limited too!

Thanks for your input

Skdtme 18-10-2015 10:39 AM

Never had a problem starting mine. Starts first time every time.

stewy85 19-10-2015 08:31 AM

Yeah that's what's weird about it, it starts fine 29 times out of 30 say. Oh well I'll keep recording start-ups and send it in to get looked at.

stewy85 31-10-2015 04:30 PM

Well that's been close to 2 weeks now, and I'm glad to say no more start issues... Touch wood.