Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 03:59 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Breakstream at standard level
Default 96 JDM GC8 OBD Troubleshooting and nostart

Hey guys, I'm a new 96 JDM GC8 EJ20K WRX (non-STI) owner... so my GC8 started gradually running/idling worse and worse, massive loss of power and occasionally smelling rich, 'pulsing' idle, and I believe a worsening fuel economy. Also had the check engine light come on once then turn off when things started getting really bad... that was the only time I saw it come on though.

Recently got a no-start where it would 'chug' when the key was turned over but was refusing to start at all. Remembering the check engine light I had previously received, I checked the OBD1 code and it read '32'. From all of the digging I've done that code seems vague for 'O2 sensor malfunction' depending on which source you read from. *(Just before the no-start it was running awful, felt like on 2 or 3 cylinders) **(Sorry to pain everyone reading this, recent financial troubles that are getting fixed in the near future)

So aside from that, after towing it into a shop they reported that the ECU and wiring harness are fried and suggest that they use 3-7 hours of labor to determine the cause, and if I simply replace the ECU that it's likely to be wasted money and will happen again. I think they're also basically telling me that they can't scan/diagnose the shitty idle/performance until it will turn over.

So basically I'm wondering, is my only option to shell out potentially 7 hours labor for them to 'look around at what caused the ECU failure?' I feel like they could be saying whatever they damn well please to squeeze whatever cash they can out of me... There is an ECU for my year in the local classifieds, thinking of just snatching that up and replacing it myself.

Beyond that, is there any way to tell if I'm dealing with a faulty front or rear O2 sensor besides the vague OB1 codes? Should I pay them to figure it out or grab myself a scanner and check it out.

Thanks so much in advance.

EDIT: Also wondering if a GC8 V4 WRX STI EJ20K / MT ECU would be alright fitted in my non-STI WRX.

Last edited by Breakstream; 15-11-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:40 AM
Subaru Tech Division

johnvk7 at standard level

Have you checked the basics? Spark plugs, coils?
Your car is non-OBD, it didn't exist in 1996.
Also, I'm pretty sure the 96 only has one O2 sensor, so that's easy to replace. Probably do that first.
If your not happy with the first workshop diagnosis, you should get a second opinion. Its your right as a consumer
2010 XR5 Focus
06 Impreza Hatch 2.0i
Old 17-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Subaru Tech Division

magic1 knows their stuff

replace O2 sensor and spark plugs. go from there.

Tags
96, gc8, jdm, nostart, obd, troubleshooting