Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-03-2017, 05:28 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

ZiN at standard level
Question Spring Advice for a GC8

TLDR: I need higher better performing springs than Kings Super Lows to go with Koni shocks. Advice appreciated on what will help me navigate both shopping centres and high speed corners, thanks.

When I got the car it came with King Spring Ultra Lows and I thought it felt great to drive, no complaints there. It was a little uncomfortable if tyres were pumped to their max spec, as you could feel the grains of the road on the freeways but to me smooth as butter at tyre placard pressures. I loved how tight it was, it felt like it was on rails.

However shopping centres and even my own small kerb on my driveway was problematic. I learnt to take things slow and on angles, which wasn't too bad for a while. However the final straw was the last holiday I had, I ended up parking the car by the beach as I couldn't get it over the resorts speed bumps. Also driving down caves road there was a horrible noise as the car dropped into a dip in the road, something rubbed.
I love it low but it's just not practical.

I had a set of second hand King Springs Super Lows sitting in the garage so I decided to try them although I guessed I needed either full height or standard lows but this would give me and idea of what I would need. So I put the Super Lows in, while doing so I realized the stock shocks were totally passed their used by date. I didn't notice this before as the Ultras barely moved at all.

So the Super Low ride cleared all the bumps at Garden City and other shopping centres I avoid parking at, but only while the back seats and child seats were out on the first day that I installed the springs. With a full load the car was back to scrapping again. Also the ride was horrible, so bouncy, tree rooted roads causing a rocking back and fourth.

So I decided I'm going to put in some Koni adjustable shocks and while I was at it a Whiteline anti lift kit. That should improve the ride a bunch but I'm not sure it will get the ride back to where it was. I also feel I need to go higher but not sure how much higher I need to go. Does anyone have a similar experience and know what it takes to stop a GC8 rubbing? Also are King Springs going to give me the ride I'm looking for or is there a better choice?

I did have the option of Tein coilovers but the only ones available were Flex Zs and the non rubber strut tops deterred me as the car is a daily. I hope it gets to see the track a few times but that's not my main goal.

Also another note is I have an after market exhaust where the resonator hangs roughly and inch lower than stock, although I rubbed on stock exhaust.

Any advice would be appreciated, otherwise I will go with whatever STechnic thinks is best.
Old 18-03-2017, 09:26 PM
Subaru Tech Division

nick73 is a gurunick73 is a guru

Put in adjustable coilovers, at least you will have some options rather than a fixed spring height.
Old 18-03-2017, 09:40 PM

ZiN at standard level

I already ordered the Koni's as I thought coil overs would be a bit harsh for a daily without rubber top mounts. To cancel them now would put people out too much I feel.

I don't mind too much swapping out the springs again if I get it slightly wrong but I'd rather get it right this time or close. So I'm just trying to get peoples experiences.

I feel springs and shocks is a better combo for a daily but if everyone thinks coil overs is a better option I could see what I could do, but I couldn't find a nice set of coil overs for the GC8 when I looked there was only limited options.
Old 19-03-2017, 06:30 AM
STI Master

matto20v at standard level

There's loads of options, its finding a set that doesn't make the car too hard for daily driving...
Old 19-03-2017, 10:07 AM

ZiN at standard level

Kings Springs don't feel hard enough but maybe that's because I don't have working shocks. I'm wondering if I can get away with Kings Lows and still make it over bad shopping centre speed bumps but then maybe that's impossible. I've seen 4WDs bottom out on some speed bumps, seriously some speed bumps need to be removed.

The resonator sits 8.5cm off the ground without people in the car and only about 15kg of load in the back. Lows are meant to be 10 - 20mm higher than supers, but the supers were only about a cm higher than ultra's so I'm not expecting lows to be enough height. It's possible the supers I have, have sagged a lot over the years.

I'm wondering what kind of drop people can get away with without rubbing or avoiding speed bumps?
Old 26-03-2017, 02:22 PM

ZiN at standard level

Just a update.

Went for Kings lows apparently lows are stock height for a WRX anyway and the Kings standard height are for Impreza's. Also all the lows, supers, ultras are 30% harder than stock.

I skipped the ALK and just got the Konis, set to 2/3 firm. Drives the best it ever has and with the new tyres has more grip than I need for a daily. I need to find some good twisty roads now.

I'm happy with the changes and now I can pretty much make it over all speed bumps with only a slight scrape on one ridiculous bump.

Last edited by ZiN; 26-03-2017 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typos
Old 26-03-2017, 10:04 PM
STI Master

Good work,

Is it firm, at all, with Koni's?

And, how much did the Koni coilovers cost?
Old 27-03-2017, 07:37 PM

ZiN at standard level

The ride is super firm, probably set a bit hard for daily use I might need to dial them down. Although for the most part you don't notice the stiff ride till you hit a sharp bump. Best setup I've had so far but I don't have a lot of references to compare it with.

Cost over $2k installed. Springs were extra.
Old 27-03-2017, 10:03 PM
STI Master

Patch at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
Good work,

Is it firm, at all, with Koni's?

And, how much did the Koni coilovers cost?
I've got Koni strut inserts in mine. On softest setting they're much firmer than standard, medium they're quite bumpy on some of Perth's less than maintained roads but awesome on the twisty stuff. Never been game enough to go all the way with the adjustment.
Old 28-03-2017, 12:08 PM
STI Master

I think I'll just get a replacement OEM set of shocks then. I'm too old for a bumpy/harsh/firm ride.

Tags
advice, gc8, king springs, spring