Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Front Wheel Bearing Replacement (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/68284-front-wheel-bearing-replacement.html)

SirLadz 06-06-2017 03:34 PM

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Hello guys,

Over the weekend I've noticed that my front left hand wheel bearing is on it's way out, being that my 2001 WRX has the different type hub/bearing assembly (which are a pain in the ass to replace supposedly) i was wondering if it would be beneficial to switch to a 03-07 WRX upright/hub/bearing. What i would like to know is this possible to do? are the shafts different lengths/different splines/different suspension pickup points from year to year?

Failing that I've had enough fun with pressing bearings/bushings and i'll just take out the whole upright assembly and give them to MMS to replace.

Cheers

Bram 06-06-2017 04:08 PM

Pretty sure they are all the same units thru the GD WRX models. The only model thats different the later model GDB STi which had the 5x4.5" hubs. Which wont fit your wheels or your struts. They had the complete bearing assembly that just bolts in with 4 bolts.

If you have already changed it recently and you think its no good then it may just need the axle nut tightened. These need to be done up FT. And if you re-use the nuts then they can un-dimple themselves and un-wind sometimes.

SirLadz 06-06-2017 04:13 PM

Thanks Bram, So it should be good just to go down to japline or another wrecker, find a set of GD uprights w/good bearings and swap them straight over? Sounds easier than pressing bearings out and then back in again :)

Bram 06-06-2017 06:02 PM

Whatever you want. I dont realy think pressing a new bearing in is that much more work than unbolting the knuckle anyways. Ive even got a tool that can do subaru ones on vehicle. Buying a second hand unit is easier i guess, but you dont really know how much life its got left either.

seagull 06-06-2017 06:12 PM

CBC bearings in Malaga are the cheapest I have found. They stock the bearings there

SirLadz 06-06-2017 06:17 PM

Might as well get brand new bearings, only tools i'd need is a slider hammer (or other persuasive method) for removing the hub and a bearing puller to get what is left of the old one out and a tool to press the new bearings + seals in. Does the tool you've got have a correct sized cup for the bearing bore size?

Bram 06-06-2017 08:02 PM

[QUOTE=SirLadz;847209]Might as well get brand new bearings, only tools i'd need is a slider hammer (or other persuasive method) for removing the hub and a bearing puller to get what is left of the old one out and a tool to press the new bearings + seals in. Does the tool you've got have a correct sized cup for the bearing bore size?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Its got every size from something like 25mm to 90mm, spaced in 2mm increments. But cost a few hundred, but its fuckin awesome. Ive done heaps of bearing jobs with it, and practically replaced every pressed suspension bush on my car with spherical joints. And all without even using a hydrauluc press.

You dont need a pull hammer, just a regular one, but from behind haha. You dont need a bearing splitter either, although its nice if you do. What i do is simply get an angle grinder and thin cut off wheel, then i cut through about 90% of the bearing race thats left on the hub ( but dont mark the hub beneath) . Then i use a chisel to crack the last 10% of the race and once you do that then it just slides off with minimal effort. Its the bodgers way.

And yes you will need a press to push it all back together. But it doesnt need to be hydraulic. Ive done my bearings a couple of times now with a manual setup. Its basically a heavy duty threadded rod that as you screw the nut down on, it pulls the parts together like a press. Its brilliant.