Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   New fuel pump with standard injectors (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/6868-new-fuel-pump-standard-injectors.html)

Nails 20-08-2006 07:54 AM

New fuel pump with standard injectors

Just a quick one gents,

Would a 255ltr p/min walbro fuel pump cause any problems with the standard injectors? :confused: on a MY00 with the following mods.

VF34.
Large TMIC.
Full 3" Turbo back.
Mandrel bent headers.
Running 16lb boost.

What are the flow rates on standard injectors? :confused:
Any recommendations :D

Cheers Nails :D

maddog 20-08-2006 08:13 AM

The fuel pump alone will not cause any major grief if it's installed properly with the oem sock on the bottom. There have been a few stories of fuel surge with the Walbro sock, maybe some one else can elaborate?

BTW have you changed or reflashed the ecu? If not do you have any idea what the current air fuel ratios are under load?

If you answered no to both these questions then maybe its time to drive your "unexploded ordinance" slowly to a Workshop with a dyno and get a quick test done. Whats your symptoms now?

WRXTASY 20-08-2006 09:45 AM

Standard MY99/00 WRX/STi Injectors for that year were 440cc's

Nails: I have virtually the same setup as you minus the headers and with a VF30. Running the factory ECU, on max factory 14.5PSI. Never had any problems with my standard injectors and the Walbro. Even with my PossumLink @ 18PSI I had no problems either.

One trick when installing the Walbro is to re-use the factory sock as the Walbro one is too small and unlike the factory one does not go down far enough into the bottom of the fuel tank. This is where the surge problem lies.

J

tuna 20-08-2006 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=WRXTASY]One trick when installing the Walbro is to re-use the factory sock as the Walbro one is too small and unlike the factory one does not go down far enough into the bottom of the fuel tank. This is where the surge problem lies.[/QUOTE]

ditto,
i never understood why people would use the walbro sock- its tiny!

Andy 20-08-2006 11:09 AM

and some of the walboro socks point --> instead of pointing down like the stock one...its a big diference on the lowest point of the pickup

scoobysix 20-08-2006 12:02 PM

Walbro sock results in surge problems anywhere below half tank when you're pushing hard. Reuse factory sock.

Nails 20-08-2006 12:14 PM

Thanks guys out with the old and in with the new.
I installed it today and went out for a spin.
I had less than a 1/4 tank it did,nt seem to surge when I gave it a bit of welly through 1st,2nd and when I missed 3rd in a drag with a late mod STi on the hodges down ramp.

scoobysix 20-08-2006 12:26 PM

So you insisted on using the Walbro sock?

*sigh*

Nails 20-08-2006 12:37 PM

Yeah for the time being, but if it does cause any problems I,ll have to go back in and change it over as the exsisting one was looking a bit dirty.

waxdass 20-08-2006 12:58 PM

try taking some hard corners on 1/4 tank or less then :)