Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   1997 WRX rough idle no power (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/69284-1997-wrx-rough-idle-no-power.html)

birds 15-11-2017 02:27 PM

1997 WRX rough idle no power

Hey guys,

I was put onto PerthWRX by a friend because I'm having a little trouble with mine.

As the title says, I have a 1997 GC8 WRX and at the moment shes a bit sick.

It idles really rough and when I put my foot door it just splutters and not much happens at all. I have replaced the spark plugs, and spark leads but still nothing. My next option was to replace the coil packs and see what happens.

I know its a long shot to diagnose with such little info but just wanted to know if anyone has come across the same problem or if there is a known issue with this model. There is also a smell of fuel when I put my foot down which led me to think the fuel wasn't burning which is why I've started to replace the spark related parts. But I'm still unsure because when I check the spark using a plug in tester I am still getting spark, whether or not its a poor faint spark its hard to tell.

Any info or help is much appreciated thank you!

nick73 15-11-2017 02:42 PM

Fuel pump & fuel filter?

JRecardo 15-11-2017 03:34 PM

AFM, fuel pump/filter, plugs, coil packs are common places to look for this. I would start with the AFM.

birds 15-11-2017 04:16 PM

[QUOTE=JRecardo;849771]AFM, fuel pump/filter, plugs, coil packs are common places to look for this. I would start with the AFM.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'll try the MAF sensor next then. It also isn't displaying a engine light fault or anything so it makes it all a little stranger.

Mcclacker 15-11-2017 07:43 PM

As above on all suggestions, given my old school background it was always air/spark/fuel and keep it methodical/simple during fault diagnosis, but with the onset of ECU's it can at times throw a wobbler which makes it harder to diagnose unless you "plug in".
However from what you state I'd certainly lean towards spark (looks like your 1/2 way through replacing parts) or air. I had a similar intermittent fault post engine rebuild (big end) and it was faulty air flow meter.

birds 16-11-2017 08:06 AM

[QUOTE=Mcclacker;849775]As above on all suggestions, given my old school background it was always air/spark/fuel and keep it methodical/simple during fault diagnosis, but with the onset of ECU's it can at times throw a wobbler which makes it harder to diagnose unless you "plug in".
However from what you state I'd certainly lean towards spark (looks like your 1/2 way through replacing parts) or air. I had a similar intermittent fault post engine rebuild (big end) and it was faulty air flow meter.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. When you had the faulty air flow meter did it throw up an engine light on the dash though? I will most likely replace it anyway when I'm back from work.

Mcclacker 16-11-2017 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=birds;849784]Thanks for the reply. When you had the faulty air flow meter did it throw up an engine light on the dash though? I will most likely replace it anyway when I'm back from work.[/QUOTE]
No codes/dash lights, it had an intermittent splutter and fart with no power.

Given you're under the bonnet and if not done for a while I'd change the fuel/ air filters.

birds 17-11-2017 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=Mcclacker;849798]No codes/dash lights, it had an intermittent splutter and fart with no power.

Given you're under the bonnet and if not done for a while I'd change the fuel/ air filters.[/QUOTE]

Yeah sounds like you had similar problems ill give it a crack thanks again!

pimpreza1 18-11-2017 12:08 AM

Sounds like the problem I just solved, car was running like a pig for a couple of years, took it to mechanic in Mandurah, he did nothing toward fixing it except charge $145 for 55min work, I decided I'd check the air filter after about 5 or 6 years and being a foam one it had mostly disintegrated onto my afm, gave it a spray with contact cleaner and it's been perfect ever since. I had no codes either.

seagull 18-11-2017 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=pimpreza1;849817]Sounds like the problem I just solved, car was running like a pig for a couple of years, took it to mechanic in Mandurah, he did nothing toward fixing it except charge $145 for 55min work, I decided I'd check the air filter after about 5 or 6 years and being a foam one it had mostly disintegrated onto my afm, gave it a spray with contact cleaner and it's been perfect ever since. I had no codes either.[/QUOTE]

You are a fucking lazy cunt Tom.

You have not looked under the bonnet of that car for 4 years