Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   Any down side to Tuna’s (GC8) Upgraded Fuel Venturi Mod? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/71650-any-down-side-tuna%92s-gc8-upgraded-fuel-venturi-mod.html)

maddog 18-02-2019 05:03 AM

Any down side to Tuna’s (GC8) Upgraded Fuel Venturi Mod?

Considering this mod has been out there for a number of years, is there any observed downside? Porting the venturi effectively reduces a restriction on the return line and improves the venturi effect, but does it change anything else?

I would be interested if anyone has monitored the fuel pressure before and after doing this mod? I expect the fuel reg would work regardless of back pressure.

nauli 18-02-2019 08:29 AM

Shite Morgan!!! You live!!
Not sure what this mod is....maybe somebody here may be able to assist, though the PWRX site is very quiet these days......everybody now seems to use FB...

maddog 18-02-2019 06:42 PM

Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Given I moved to Canberra 11 years ago, very little has changed! You made a similar comment in 2012 when I updated my Ivan Albins gearbox thread....lol!

[QUOTE=nauli;729019]Morgan McBride....you live![/QUOTE]

The venturi mod was one of Stacey’s old “less than $10 mod tips”.

[url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/50010-under-%2410-tuna-mods%3B-2-upgraded-fuel-venturi.html[/url]

nauli 19-02-2019 08:27 AM

I vaguely remember this Morgan....but I would assume that you're running a decent surge pot which would negate the need for this....and a pressure reg?
It's great that you still have the WRX, albeit rather modified compared to the last time we saw it here.
And for the first time since 1994, I don't own a Subaru any more (but still a member of the WRX Club WA). The Club had its 21st birthday a couple of weeks ago too....how time flies.

maddog 19-02-2019 08:36 PM

Steve,
I have a simple 40cc (model plane) in tank, anti surge container which...still surges 🙄 at around half a tank (uphill runs only). To mitigate, I have always run with a full tank, keeping above 2/3 of a tank. Around 20 minutes consumes 20l of fuel on a high speed track, then I refill.

I would rather try a simple modification to help refill my 40cc container faster than fit an external surge pot. Whilst modified, I won’t fit mods that void my insurance or registration. I like that it still has A/C, a nice stereo and a very standard look...for something approaching 500hp 😬.

Bruno 19-02-2019 09:05 PM

I’ve done this mod, can’t say I monitored fuel pressure though sorry.
Radium also make a part that can be fitted in place at a different point I believe though.

From what I understand of the mod though, with high flow pumps that return more fuel that was not needed, it lets the return side flow better and has the added effect of pulling over more fuel from the other side of the tank.

If no fuel is being returned at all however this system won’t work at all.

I don’t believe fuel pressure should be affected, unless there was either a blockage or, a lot of fuel that needed to be returned to tank and caused a back up due to flow limitations .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick73 19-02-2019 10:04 PM

Assuming you have an adjustable aftermarket fpr. Could you check your base line pressure beforehand. Complete the venturi mod then reset your baseline if it changes afterwards?

Maybe I'm dreaming but 40cc seems tiny, could you experiment with a larger pot?

Bram 19-02-2019 10:15 PM

40cc is smaller than an actual fuel pump. As in, you literally could not put a fuel pump inside a 40cc container.

nauli 20-02-2019 08:50 AM

[QUOTE=maddog;854120]Steve,
I have a simple 40cc (model plane) in tank, anti surge container which...still surges 🙄 at around half a tank (uphill runs only). To mitigate, I have always run with a full tank, keeping above 2/3 of a tank. Around 20 minutes consumes 20l of fuel on a high speed track, then I refill.

I would rather try a simple modification to help refill my 40cc container faster than fit an external surge pot. Whilst modified, I won’t fit mods that void my insurance or registration. I like that it still has A/C, a nice stereo and a very standard look...for something approaching 500hp 😬.[/QUOTE]

Haha....approaching 500 BHP and you're worried about voiding insurance and rego! I would seriously consider an anti surge tank of some sort especially if you're surging on half a tank...good "insurance" I reckon...

maddog 03-10-2019 07:06 PM

Make that 40 ounce...lol. Thanks Guys.