Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 09:30 AM
Scoobie Noobie

unbiased at standard level
Default Cooling System Questions

Hi! Just picked up a running '97 GF8 (wagon) WRX for dirt cheap - some hail damage, some surface rust, etc. Most prominent issue is with cooling - the car spikes in temperature after a while of driving.

I've drained the coolant and replaced the thermostat and radiator, chased a few leaks down, and replaced all hoses with leaks in them.

The coolant was all gunky. The header tank is all rusted up, so I've given everything as much as a clean as I can.

I've tried to run a coolant flush but nothing is coming out of the turbo coolant return line, despite the turbo coolant feed line (block to turbo) having sprung a leak before (so I know water is getting there).

I tried to reverse the flush (water into the turbo return line, hose out from the header tank to engine block line) but it won't flow. Pressure clearly builds up and the hose pops off. Is my turbo just screwed? What's the problem here? Thanks for taking a look!
Old 01-01-2021, 09:28 AM
Flat Four Father

seagull knows their stuff

You could run some bleach through the cooling system to clean it out, then flush it
Old 07-01-2021, 07:30 AM
Scoobie Noobie

unbiased at standard level

I found the the turbo was entirely blocked off with flakes of galvanic corrosion. I opted to replace the turbo, coolant hoses, and the header tank entirely. I have removed the turbo, and the coolant channel and banjo bolts are entirely gunked up - the turbo has obviously not been receiving cooling for quite some time.
Old 13-01-2021, 11:41 PM
Scoobie Noobie

pimpreza1 at standard level

After I cooked my V3 STI motor in the dunes it would be fine until I hit boost then the heat would spike, blown head gasket.
Old 05-02-2021, 12:35 PM
STI Master

maddog at standard level

Oil is the only critical cooling required for the turbo. On a GC/F8 they can run without water cooling, they just need to cool slowly before shutting down. Sounds like you should do the water pump, thermostat and full pressure flush on this one!

Tags
coolant, cooling, lines, questions, system, turbo