Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Technical > Mechanicals
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Sir AntiLag

Darren at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Darren
Default Exedy clutch, Jun Flywheel and STi 12kg Centre Diff

As many of you would have known (heard me bitch enough ) that my clutch has been a little ordinary for a long time. I finally got around to getting a new clutch and at the same time decided to try out a lightened flywheel. After a lot of research, I decided on a Excedy "Sports Tuff" full face organic kit (new pressure plate, clutch disk and thrust bearing). It seemed the most appropriate for my modest level of power and not too harsh on the gearbox. I also decided on a Jun light-weight chromemoly flywheel (5.4kgs versus about 10-12kgs standard). Jun wasn't the cheapest around but if you get to see one of these, you appreciate the quality. In the midst of all this, I also worked out that my centre diff was destroyed due to a mistake in rear diff ratio (long story but suretrac rear diff and lack of forethought on my part caused the problem), making my car the only front wheel drive WRX in perth when below about 3500rpm. Luckily sourced myself a STi 12kg centre diff (thanks again Stacey) and also the 1:1 drop gears from an STi box to reactify the ratio issues. I've attached a few pics below:

As you can see, the old clutch plate only contacted the flywheel with the inner 1/3 of the surface, causing the lack of grip from day 1. I was told that this was due to poor installation

Jun Flywheel installed

Last edited by technik_wrx; 16-08-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Tags
12kg, centre, clutch, diff, exedy, flywheel, jun, sti