Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   trouble starting (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/9814-trouble-starting.html)

misswrx 26-01-2007 08:14 PM

trouble starting

hey everyone just having a prob with my car and am hoping its nothing major but its not looking to good.

when i start the car it starts for a few second then its like somehting is killing it. it just cuts out, every now and then you can hear it back fire up front but thats about it. I drove an hour before i went to use it just then and it was fine.

hoping someone may have an idea.
i had it at tenagah a few months ago for a bottom end and different turbo.

thanks

stebaun 27-01-2007 01:24 AM

timing?

IMPRESHER 27-01-2007 01:56 AM

Afm???

Elrico 27-01-2007 09:35 AM

Not a gun of mechanics but its firing at least. Sounds like somthing to do with fuel not getting through your machine maybe such as a rooted fuel pump. Benny could be right aswel. GC8 MY99/00 have gay Air Flow Meters (AFM's) and like to die alot. Whilst we are on this subject, wheres a good place to get a new AFM as i think im going to replace mine before it kills itself.

POLARBEAR666 27-01-2007 10:58 AM

Fuel filter totally cloggeD? That tends to make the car fine sometimes and then surging or cutting out the next.

WRXTASY 27-01-2007 04:47 PM

Dis-Connect Air Flow Meter via the plug on the housing and start your car ?

It will start with the Check Engine Light On.

If it idles fine and revs cleanly then you Air Flow Meter is fucked.
Don't even bother cleaning it. Especially if your car is 7+ years old Get a new one for $170 odd. Its not worth the risk.

J

misswrx 31-01-2007 03:28 PM

thanks guys,

the air flow meter was replaced last year by tenagah just after i had the new turbo n motor put in, if it is the air flow meter im gonna be pissed at having to spend another 200 + dollars. anyone know some of the reasons why the air flow meters will die?

have disconnected the air flow meter and started the car and it runs fine.
as this was a new air flow meter a few months ago am extremely pissed off.
2 in a matter of 6 months.

Simon 31-01-2007 03:33 PM

Oil from a pod filter?

impreza_GT 31-01-2007 03:34 PM

AFM......quite common in the my99-my00.

Most likekly due to the sensor being overly sensative to dirt and vibrations.

Or maybe just a dodgy choice on subies behalf........

Put it this way you would rather by 10 AFMS than a new gearbox (not that they have anything to do with one another....but probably cheapest part around for that model)

Hope this helps...furthermore Just to let you know i bought my car with a faulty AFM i thought the jerking was turbo lag...hehehehe (*puts on flame suit*)...WHAT A LOSER...I KNOW

Smokey 31-01-2007 04:16 PM

Fuel pump on its way out??