Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Mechanicals (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/)
-   -   MY99 major engine dramas (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/mechanicals/9928-my99-major-engine-dramas.html)

mattmy99 31-01-2007 08:50 PM

MY99 major engine dramas

hey guys, having some major dramas with my 99 wagon. for those of you who dont know me and my car, it's a 99 wagon, vf34, power fc, FMIC, 3" TBE with standard pump and injectors. i was (stupidly i know) cutting up in my back paddock, was very sideways and well, pretty much didn't emerge from the dust. when i tried to start her up again, it was like i had run out of fuel, ran a few test over the phone with Zac (Cypher Industries), and as far as we could tell, it was fuel orientated (obviously) but without him actually looking at it, it was hard to tell. possibly pump, or ignition solinoid or something similar. the various test we did with the power FC controller all checked out ok... Anyway, cypher's pretty busy at the moment, and i work 4 and 1 rosters, so would be ages till i could get it in to them.

cut a long story short(ish), took it round to race torque this arvo, verdict is, i've got no compression at all on 3 cylinders and only 120psi on the 4th. apparantly i leaned out big time, and have melted pistons and all sorts of shit. (haven't opened her up yet, so dont really know)

pretty much chasing a 2nd hand ej20 (dont want anything else coz i wanna keep the power FC), or some advice on parts for rebuilding a bloody tough ej20. i know, i know, i should start by upgrading the fuel pump this time :)

thanks for your help guys.

Matt

Mister Two 31-01-2007 08:56 PM

since you have to replace the engine short block, you may as well buy a brand new bugeye STI ej207 block (apparantly the best of the ej207s) from Subaru. Its around $2750+gst brand new already built with forged pistons. Its probably the cheapest and most hassle free way of getting a strong motor with forged pistons.

All you need is a set of head gaskets + labour to install it. Unless you can do it yourself and save yourself a lot of money.

Also, once your done, Install a walbro gss342/341 500hp fuel pump. Id say that is the weak point and is probably the cause of the lean out. The only other cause may have been when going very very sideways, low fuel levels could have cause the fuel in the tank to flow away from the pump inlet and cause a lean out. Perhaps a surge tank setup may be a good idea if you like sideways action alot.

I would also suggest a dyno run to check AFRS and possibly a re-tune with slightly richer mixture to stay on the safe side since you like cutting it up in the back paddock. :D

Good luck with the re-build.

BLUES 31-01-2007 09:08 PM

Have a read of this - [url]http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5978&highlight=ej20[/url]

teejay 01-02-2007 01:07 AM

EJ207 = strengthened not forged
Walbros eat dick

Everything else he said is worthy of note :)

Adr3naL1N 01-02-2007 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]since you have to replace the engine short block, you may as well buy a brand new bugeye STI ej207 block (apparantly the best of the ej207s) from Subaru. Its around $2750+gst brand new
.[/QUOTE]

that seems abit cheap, what do you get with the block exactly??

Josh 01-02-2007 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=teejay]EJ207 = strengthened not forged
Walbros eat dick

Everything else he said is worthy of note :)[/QUOTE]

The MY02 STi EJ207 contains forged pistons with a semi-closed deck block.

EVL WRX 01-02-2007 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=Adr3naL1N]that seems abit cheap, what do you get with the block exactly??[/QUOTE]

Short block so just the bottom end..

Regents sell them around that price, cheaper than going through Subaru dealers too...

[BANNED] 01-02-2007 10:47 AM

[QUOTE=teejay]EJ207 = strengthened not forged
Walbros eat dick

Everything else he said is worthy of note :)[/QUOTE]

What clown told you it wasn't forged?

The 207 has forged internals. Always has.

Pimpreza 01-02-2007 10:58 AM

I have a spare 99 block (8 bolt) in perfect cond if yours is shagged & you decide to re-build yours. $250

pmh 01-02-2007 11:19 AM

ej207 prices is over $3000. Close to $3200 to be exact