Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-12-2008, 02:36 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

elemist at standard level
Send a message via MSN to elemist

Howdy All,

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but thought it would be better than starting a new one.

From reading this thread and a couple of similar it seams a few people are leasing their cars, and a few have looked into it.

For the ones currently leasing it, how are you finding it? Any problems or points to be aware of? Is Autopia still the place to call?

For the ones that looked into it, but didn't go ahead. Would be interested in hearing why not?

Also for anyone else - What's the go for leasing when your self employed?

Cheers,
Troy
Old 27-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Mine is just about to hit the end of the lease. I am paying it out and keeping the car. Now I have a sports bike to share the milage with the car it just won't be worth it.

I did a couple of trips east with a great car that I wouldn't have done otherwise so quite happy I did decide to lease the Pig rather than stick with the classic but very much doubt I would do it again.

If you are doing heaps of km anyway it is a good option to look into.

Only do it on a car that has a reputation for good resale. Would suck to buy a commonwhore and pay 5 large more on the residual than what the car is worth.

Pig STi @ 28K residual < 35K+ resale =
Old 27-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Tooth_DeKay at standard level

One thing I need to warn you about is the fleet company will tell you all about the fuel discount you will get from using a fleet fuel card.
But you only get a discount on regular unleaded NOT Premium!
I found that out the hard way

But that has been my only grip.
This site has heaps on info if you are interested.
http://www.fleetpartners.com.au/novated-lease.aspx
It has a good calculator where you pick your car fill in some financial details and it works it all out. It's a good guide.
Old 29-12-2008, 01:52 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jOh4n at standard level

ok this is a really long shot, but does anyone work for BHP billiton and is currently holding a novated car lease? got a few questains, and HR arent being helpful at all! >_<

with these novated car leases i am under the impression its all gotta be dealer purchased cars for the lease, no private sales allowed?
Old 29-12-2008, 05:41 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOh4n
ok this is a really long shot, but does anyone work for BHP billiton and is currently holding a novated car lease? got a few questains, and HR arent being helpful at all! >_<

with these novated car leases i am under the impression its all gotta be dealer purchased cars for the lease, no private sales allowed?
Funny I though it was only PI's HR department that was useless

PI go through Mcmillian Shakespeare and you are able to lease any car up to 7 years old. You can even lease a car you currently own outright if you want some ready cash ( you need to be doing a pretty reasonable milage to make it worth the effort )

I can't see a reason why you couldn't pick up a car from a private sale but the lease company may run into an issue with not being able to claim tax credits for some or all of the purchase costs so a $40,000 car from a yard could result in cheeper leasing costs than a $40,000 car from a private sale.

Do you have any friendly family members that could pay for the car while you arrange to lease a car that you now already own???

I probably wouldn't bother with leasing a second hand car anyway unless you were going to be doing fairly big mileage. Just my useless opinion though.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

I'm looking into this option as well...hmmm just bought a new mazda 3 which is around $24k. It's our only car and we'd do at least 25k kms if not more. Now I earn $85k plus a year so thats a lot of tax which i dont want to pay. How can i work out whether leasing the car to myself is worth the effort? Also would i have to stick with the same job if i was to go ahead and do it? Our company goes thru Mcmillian Shakespeare as well.

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Subaru Tech Division

If you change employers they you are able to make arrangements for them to continue your lease as part of your package with them.

Remember though not all employers will be interested in doing this.

MMS Fleet solutions calculator will give you some idea of the potential savings.

If you just want a new Mazda 3 let them source it for you as on something common like a 3 they will get a much better deal than you can organize.

Specify any and all options you want on they car at delivery and if you want anything aftermarket ( blingy stereo, Wheels etc ) get a quote from where you want to get it and put it in straight of the bat. Aftermarket extras will increase your lease a bit but you won't have to stump up a lump sum down the track.

Claim everything you possibly can thats why your leasing it. I just re-sprayed the bonnet to get rid of stone chips, and small dent from a vandal, not enough to claim insurance so thank you mr ATO for paying a percentage!!!

Tags
lease, novated, vehicle