Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   NITRO cars!!! (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/11717-nitro-cars.html)

NEAT 04' 17-04-2007 01:54 PM

NITRO cars!!!

i want to buy one. hav been doing a bit of research, but personal experience is far better then reading as far as im consirned. :)
Would anyone like to share stories of problems,recommendations,where to buy etc..?

Simon 17-04-2007 02:17 PM

I bought mine from Perth Hobby Centre on Murray Street, great bunch of guys who really know what they are talking about, Fairly competitive prices, Steer CLear of Stanbridges for r/c cars, although they have great product knowledge they are a complete rip off

urabus 17-04-2007 02:37 PM

I bought mine from perth hobby centre aswell. Do your research first though as they are really really bad for trying to sell what they have in stock as opposed to what you want.

Try talking to joe as he is / was into it big time.

Also try the net. I bought some batteries and motors for my electric truck and some bearing for my nitro one from over there and they were great....and cheap. The cost of sending a whole unit might be prohibtive though.

BALISTC 17-04-2007 02:40 PM

Haha where do I start..

Buy the car/truck locally...best to get something here rather than on the net, so you can get sales support and actually look and feel the car/truck before you buy. Perth Hobby Centre in the city is the best and most competitively priced store IMHO.

Buy your spare parts online if your not in a hurry. eBay is good if your careful, but [url]www.towerhobbies.com[/url] is the best. I spent 20k with these guys over a few years, and managed to get prices that beat local prices on spare parts by half most of the time.

Do you want off or on-road? Get a brand that is well recognised, because not only will quality be better, but parts support is great also.

Best thing to do is jump on a few forums. [url]www.radiocontrolzone.com[/url] is a good one, and a good local forum is [url]www.teamadrenaline.net[/url]

Go to the hobby store and have a look. See whats on offer, and do take the advice of the people working there. They don't get commission from sales, and most of them are racers/enthusiasts themselves, and will most of the time recommend what is good and not what makes the most money for the store.

Once you've done that, post your results here and I'll tell you if the options they've given you (or you've found for yourself) are good or bad. Not tooting my own horn or anything, but RC cars were my obsession for many years and I know whats good and whats not through experience, having owned around 50 different vehicles, both electric and nitro, and I dabbled in a bit of RC racing also. I've mainly gotten out of it now, but I still have my workbench and array of tools and spare parts, in case I do ever want to get back into it.

DooM 17-04-2007 03:04 PM

buy a baja, a spastic could get one going, it goes hard and is quite rugged,and it runs for 40 minutes per tank and uses 2 stroke.

i got one a couple weeks ago and its just good fun with easy maintenance,

BALISTC 17-04-2007 03:07 PM

Baja's are very good....parts availability was an issue, but I'm sure its all good now almost 12 months after their release.

If you pop the motor, can upgrade to a built stroker engine with 4HP for a very reasonable cost.

Not cheap to buy initially though, but well worth the investment.

SpitShine 17-04-2007 06:21 PM

try Stanbridge Hobbies in Mt. Lawly. The BIGGEST range of rc cars. Thats where i got mine, but its electric! WRX too:)

madmax 17-04-2007 07:06 PM

what's the price on the baja?

NEAT 04' 17-04-2007 07:15 PM

[QUOTE=BALISTC]Haha where do I start..

Buy the car/truck locally...best to get something here rather than on the net, so you can get sales support and actually look and feel the car/truck before you buy. Perth Hobby Centre in the city is the best and most competitively priced store IMHO.

Buy your spare parts online if your not in a hurry. eBay is good if your careful, but [url]www.towerhobbies.com[/url] is the best. I spent 20k with these guys over a few years, and managed to get prices that beat local prices on spare parts by half most of the time.

Do you want off or on-road? Get a brand that is well recognised, because not only will quality be better, but parts support is great also.

Best thing to do is jump on a few forums. [url]www.radiocontrolzone.com[/url] is a good one, and a good local forum is [url]www.teamadrenaline.net[/url]

Go to the hobby store and have a look. See whats on offer, and do take the advice of the people working there. They don't get commission from sales, and most of them are racers/enthusiasts themselves, and will most of the time recommend what is good and not what makes the most money for the store.

Once you've done that, post your results here and I'll tell you if the options they've given you (or you've found for yourself) are good or bad. Not tooting my own horn or anything, but RC cars were my obsession for many years and I know whats good and whats not through experience, having owned around 50 different vehicles, both electric and nitro, and I dabbled in a bit of RC racing also. I've mainly gotten out of it now, but I still have my workbench and array of tools and spare parts, in case I do ever want to get back into it.[/QUOTE]

:eek: as usual [BALISTIC] u've been a great help. yeh i've been to the hobby shop on murray st and had a good long chat with one of the guys there. I'm after an on-road vehicle. they just sound like a shit load of fun.

thanks heeps guys

Booga 17-04-2007 07:24 PM

on road cars are more fragile - I have 2 in need of repair to body/suspension/wheels after impact with the curb whilst drifting
still fun - though I would go offroad next purchase