Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   VW Golf GTi info? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/12947-vw-golf-gti-info.html)

PRODIGY 08-06-2007 02:04 PM

VW Golf GTi info?

Just wondering if anyone has driven one of the current VW
Golf GTi's, in particular with the DSG gearbox.
Was wondering how it compared to a WRX.

I haven't had a chance to take one for a drive as yet so thought
i would see if anyone else has and what their thoughts were.

I am generally a Subaru man through and through (last 3 cars have all been Subi's) but i really quite like the golfs.

joey89 08-06-2007 02:07 PM

GTi's are the bomb!

Bolt on turbo kits FTW :)

Jimmy S 08-06-2007 02:09 PM

FWD FTL, but otherwise a nice looking car inside and out, havent driven it, but have sat in it and checked it all out!

American Dave 08-06-2007 02:10 PM

my best mate's wife has red GTI and his brother has R32, both are sweet cars. Have a look at this forum for some good info [url]www.vwwatercooled.org.au[/url]

DAN682 08-06-2007 02:11 PM

I was interested in the R32 until I saw the price tag

DSG box sounds sweet though, there are a couple of people on the FI Forum and Mazdaclub website that bought the GTI and R32. I think they would be a bit of fun, but I just don't know about FWD cars, they scare me.

mr_psi 08-06-2007 02:18 PM

yer R32 looks like a very nice car... but is it worth the dosh?

you can buy a evo for that cash and i think and evo wins handsdown :P

DAN682 08-06-2007 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=mr_psi]yer R32 looks like a very nice car... but is it worth the dosh?

you can buy a evo for that cash and i think and evo wins handsdown :P[/QUOTE]

An evo and $20K modification money for it!

When I checked the R32 (Fully loaded) was $94K Plus ORC

An evo is in the $70's isn't it?

DarkMoose 08-06-2007 02:43 PM

r32, for 94k? Wow. I was looking at r32, awd, v6 3.2l n/a. They look nice but as you said, 94k if thats what they are going for its a rip. I thought they where more around the 60 mark but 94 hell no. Mind you depends what fully loaded means, as in all the options. I'm sure that if u went with all the options on a new 07 sti you would come out at a similar price, i mean 850 for a front lip alone :).

slappy 08-06-2007 02:47 PM

The 5 door R32 with DSG costs 58,790 + ORC
The 5 door R32 with six speed manual costs 56,490 + ORC

The 3 door R32 with DSG costs 57,290 + ORC
The 3 door R32 with six speed manual costs 54,990 + ORC

REXXX 08-06-2007 02:50 PM

[QUOTE=DAN682]An evo and $20K modification money for it!

When I checked the R32 (Fully loaded) was $94K Plus ORC

An evo is in the $70's isn't it?[/QUOTE]pffffffff, can get an R32 for mid 60's on the road! go wild with options and it'd still only be 70-something, tops.

i was offered a met black 2 door GTi off the showroom floor in Osb Park, with leather, sunroof and DSG for $48k ish on the road. that config will usually set you back $50k or so.

have driven MKV GTi/R32, both awesome cars, the R32 is louder and harder on the road, feels more powerful for obvious reasons.
DSG gearbox is absolutely and utterly brilliant and is what drew me to the cars to begin with. shockingly quick and efficient. totally awesome, could rave about it all day. launch control will have you chopping any other FWD cars, too.

the GTi (and R32, but that's not what you asked about) feels so solid on the road, and has such great build quality that you never think you're driving a little hatch. the leather bucket seats, steering paddles, cool tacho's and flat bottom steering wheel help too.

do youself a favour and sit in a GTi with leather (don't get one without leather), then sit in a WRX.
you won't buy a wrx.

if seating space is a concern, the Golf will shock you. i'm 6'6 and could fit a med size adult sitting behind me no worries at all! and big boot to boot (hah).

at the end of the day i decided the hatch thing wasn't for me, but the GTi is a great car.