Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEDLYWEPN View Post
I have 2 drives and they're both SATA. I have no idea what you mean in regards to them being on the same channel, how do I find that out?

Other than those 2, I have an external 1TB usb drive connected and of course a dvd burner.
Each drive should have its own dedicated direct connection with no other devices attach to the lead prior to it being connected to the mainboard - That's if both drives are internal.

If you have one in the case and one on external - Then the internal one should have it's own lead to the mainboard and obviously your external drive will be connected via USB2, i'd suspect.

Depending on your internal drive, visit the manufacturers website and download the utility which checks the drive for errors and such, if that's all good, save all your 'stuff' to your external drive, format the internal disk and re-install your OS completely and then see how things are.

If it's still bad - Do memory tests, BIOS health checks, firmware updates on your mainboard ..
Old 15-12-2010, 10:46 PM
Sign me up!
Subaru Tech Division

DEDLYWEPN at standard level

Will do, cheers Rich. Was thinking of re-formatting, so I'll try your suggestions first. And for the record, both internal hdd's have their own lead to the mainboard, no piggybacking.

FOR SALE - [MY REXTC] - Custom Polycarb Plates - PM Me
Old 15-12-2010, 11:03 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

Discobay at standard level

Sorry I meant to say "same motherboard". So your DVD drive is SATA too? Do you have any conflicts in device manager?
Old 16-12-2010, 02:00 AM
Subaru Tech Division

SyncSubaru at standard level

Cant mix channels on SATA. Also cant do a thing about where the Windows Installer decides to install Windows to.

Fact that the HDD is only a year old doesnt really say much - There is a reason why 1TB of Hard Drive is so cheap..

Also, newer operating systems are good at thrashing drives to death with Indexing and other search-related features that are 'user-friendly' but hardware-deathly.

My other drive i mentioned that is half dead... 15 months old. They are enterprise class drives to. 5 Year warranty I just have to get off my ass and send it back.

Do try the WD Diagnostics Software you should be able to get it from their website - see if theres any bad sectors or if it can detect any spin-motor issues.

Reformatting can also help - its ideal to do it once a year. You might find there some funny app you installed and used for a week could be running and causing you grief - you never know.
Old 16-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

New prob, people are telling me my mailbox is full, how do I increase the size of it, I can't delete too much from it.....
Old 16-12-2010, 03:48 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Is your mailbox stored in webmail or on your hard-drive.

If its on your hard-drive it shouldnt have a limit (except for hard disk space).

If its on webmail (aka you log into it like hotmail or gmail etc) then you need to ask your ISP if they will give you more room.
Old 16-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinga View Post
New prob, people are telling me my mailbox is full, how do I increase the size of it, I can't delete too much from it.....
If your mailbox is part of an Exchange system/Business that is very bad system/business administration to prevent mailboxes from recieving Email once you have reached your limit.

You can't increase the size of it - Call your IT Service Desk who will have a look @ Exchange and increase your Mailbox. Otherwise, do you have an archiving solution whereby you can archive some of it away from your mailbox to bring it down in size?

Once again, if it's a big business, there should be a tool in place for Email Archiving.
Old 16-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
If your mailbox is part of an Exchange system/Business that is very bad system/business administration to prevent mailboxes from recieving Email once you have reached your limit.

You can't increase the size of it - Call your IT Service Desk who will have a look @ Exchange and increase your Mailbox. Otherwise, do you have an archiving solution whereby you can archive some of it away from your mailbox to bring it down in size?

Once again, if it's a big business, there should be a tool in place for Email Archiving.
Great response there. Hit it on the head.
Old 16-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Sir AntiLag

Sayers at standard level

Re the windows install, make sure you download and install the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard. These include the ide & sata drivers, integrated audio and video, usb and so on.

If you're using the basic ones supplied with Windows they're probably choking the hardware.

For most motherboards you just go to the manufacturer's site (e.g. ASUS/Gigabyte/etc), find the exact board version and revision, then download all the drivers for your operating system.

In some cases you can go to the chipset manufacturer's site for newer drivers. E.g. direct to Intel for any intel audio drivers, nvidia for graphics drivers, etc.

You can also update the bios, but this can kill the motherboard if the process is interrupted. I usually check the changelog to see what they've fixed.

You should also check whether your Windows install is running with SATA drives emulating IDE mode, or genuine SATA mode. You can't just switch this setting in the bios without installing the SATA drivers into Windows first. See Google for the procedure.
Old 16-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Subaru Tech Division

stinga at standard level

Boys, I have heaps of room on my hard drive, run windows 7 with an aapt account, its not biz related but I do have a lot in my mailbox - but most of it was imported as I moved jobs, sounds like I need to do what?
Contact aapt??
Thanks

Tags
computer, nerds, required