Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Replacing downlights with halogen downlights (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/16836-replacing-downlights-halogen-downlights.html)

Zombee 08-12-2007 02:34 PM

Replacing downlights with halogen downlights

Hey All,

I want to change the downlights in my house to halogen downlights. I bought one just to see if it'll look good, then if it does, I'll get the rest.

My question is this; the halogen I bought came with a transformer (Possum Tridonic ATCO) and I'm not sure how to wire it to my existing wiring.

I know an electrician should do this, but all it is is wiring a new light in to where an old light was!! The transformer has no markings on it to show where the positive, neutral wires go.

Anyone a sparky who can help me out??

Cheers
Zombee:)

vyper 08-12-2007 03:58 PM

Polarity wont matter with a light globe. Red and black go into the transformer and then plug the transformers outlet straight up to the halogen globe.

Disclamer: Do it at your own risk :)

Huy 08-12-2007 04:04 PM

Got a pic of the transformer?

I fit a lot of downlights to our units at work, i might be able to help.

ImPreSiV 08-12-2007 04:04 PM

I think you'll find an electrician will not give you advice on how to install electrics in your home. By law you need a license to modify home electrics which is why electricians go through apprenticeships and courses to aquire these skills. "IF" an electrician gives you advice and you stuff it up, and electrocute yourself, then chances are you would try and sue him for giving misleading advice, rather than blaming your own stupidity.

Get an electrician to do it properly for you. I think your life is worth more than a couple of hundred bucks. 240v hurts, trust me, I've been there done that..

slappy 08-12-2007 04:13 PM

Good luck getting a sparky out to wire in half a dozen halogens... Its hard getting sparkys to do small jobs these days.

You can get halogens that run in 240v that dont need transformers but the globes blow quicker than the 12v ones as our power fluctuates a lot.

PS just get a sparky to do it.

Hurtenstein 08-12-2007 04:20 PM

Ask Sphoolin, give him a carton of Export and he'll do it for ya.
Tell him lyndon sent ya to him.

PS. You dont need to worry about the positive or negative, its AC, as long as the 240 goes in the IN side (which would be marked) and the 12v light plugs into the OUT side.

gumby 08-12-2007 05:25 PM

Hmm personally, although not cheap, Id get an electrician to fit them up.
Another reason being, something goes wrong with the light(s), your fault or not, you may find insurance may not pay up as it wasnt fitted by someone qualified.

and as ImPreSiV says, 240v hurts like hell, done it myself.

Zombee 08-12-2007 05:48 PM

BINGO!!

I must have made the Gods of Karma happy this week!

How's this - a sparky just rocked up to do some work for the guy across the road, so I just wondered over to him with said transformer in hand and asked him how it connects to the wiring. He told me how and - voila, I went back and connected it all up!!

Happy Dayz :D

Thanx for the feedback chaps!

Cheers
Zombee:)

Elrico 08-12-2007 06:53 PM

Pretty much what Hurtenstien said besides export. Otherwise ill put on my wife beater, drink the carton, drive to QLD and fight your misses lyndon.....! But yes, insurance wise...its a tough one.

Pretty much, people who do these jobs, do not exsist if you catch my drift.

JuniorWrecks 08-12-2007 07:30 PM

Jus make sure u have the 240v going into the primary side (should be marked) and the LV side in the secondary.. otherwise you will have about 4500volts coming out the tranny which is not good :P

Either that or i will change em for you for $20 a light..!!