Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Speeding fines on road test (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/18744-speeding-fines-road-test.html)

slater 22-03-2008 09:41 AM

Speeding fines on road test

Had a bloke test drive my car which is for sale anyway he has been pinged at 160Km/h by a cop on the side of the road he didint stop and the cops have got the lic number and now come over to find myself as it's in my name. What will most likely happen i have people who sore him take the car for a test drive but we have no details to submite to the cops.

Likely outcomes.

And help would be good.

chee 22-03-2008 10:09 AM

dont have his name, mobile number or license details?

MY99 22-03-2008 10:17 AM

Sorry to hear that mate.

Have you got a phone number or even the first name of this guy? The police cannot prove that it was you driving the vehicle at the time but you are under a duty, as the owner of the vehicle, to know who is driving it at all times (name, contact details, license number)

I'm sure you've already told them the story but give them ALL the information you can (even just describe the guy) and have them pursue it. It really depends on how the coppers are feeling, but it is possible that they may just drop the whole matter.

If however they don't and you end up in court, the most likely outcome is a slap on the wrist for you, for letting someone unknown drive you car without knowing their details etc. Same goes with multanova fines - when someone else drives your car and they get caught - you are under a duty to know who was driving your car at that time.

Let us know how you go, I can look into it for you if they don't drop the matter.

Hurtenstein 22-03-2008 10:55 AM

I took a car for a test drive just yesterday and the lady photocopied my license, when i bought the car back she gave me the copy.
Seemed like a good idea.
Bit late for that now but.

bullet 22-03-2008 11:19 AM

If i let someone test drive my car i go with them

Kato 22-03-2008 11:51 AM

With the new laws where the owner of a vehicle is responsible unless they can identify the driver at the time, unless you have a name or contact number it will be very hard to get out of this fine.

I'd be contacting the police with as much information (description) as possible of the person and explaining the situation.

Rule of thumb - you don't let anyone out in your car without at least knowing their name and phone number. It is just like handing over $40k to a stranger on the street and asking them to come back with it.

Brendan08 22-03-2008 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=bullet]If i let someone test drive my car i go with them[/QUOTE]
x2
He gets done at 160kmph, do you think thats safe? pretty stupid

MonsterMashie 22-03-2008 12:09 PM

dont you have his phone number stored on your phones call history???

WRXTASY 22-03-2008 12:42 PM

So you gave the keys to your car to a complete Stranger ???

a 40K+ weapon to a complete idiot during a double demerit points holiday period....

I would cross all my fingers and hope that the Police buy your story....

LESSONS IN LIFE 101 :(

impreza_GT 22-03-2008 01:06 PM

nothing suss.