Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   New P plate Laws (your opinion) (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/20885-new-p-plate-laws-your-opinion.html)

Lonzy_jr 11-07-2008 10:01 AM

New P plate Laws (your opinion)

what do you think? :p

[url]http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/yourlicence/15641.asp#Learners_and_P-platers_are_restricted_to_a_zero_Blood_Alcohol_Content_level_BAC[/url]

chee 11-07-2008 10:04 AM

i think the restrictions on nighttime driving is pretty much bullshit.

perthzed 11-07-2008 10:06 AM

Can't decide whether the night time restrictions is a good idea. It won't be popular, but thats when guys tend to show off, when they have their mates in the car, late at night. But then it penalises the P-platers who are well-behaved on the road. So maybe not. Who knows. I think someone said in an earlier thread that the 17 - 25s age group DIDN'T have the highest number of road fatalities. If thats the case then they need to target the group that does. Can someone confirm if this is the case or not. I'd be quite interested to know.

vyper 11-07-2008 10:09 AM

How about the responsible P platers driving their mates home after a big night?

Driving during the day or at night, what's the difference. They are restricting the experience P platers are supposed to be gaining.

Narrow minded fucks. Glad this shit wasn't around 2 years ago.

The benefits from education instead of restrictions would be ten fold.

Useless.

Kato 11-07-2008 10:17 AM

I don't see any problem with it actually.

[quote]Novice drivers are restricted to a zero Blood Alcohol Content level (BAC)[/quote]

Excellent. Inexperienced drivers and drinkers don't ever go well together.

[quote]When a novice driver passes the Hazard Perception Test they are then entitled to a provisional licence (P-plater). Driving between midnight and 5:00am is prohibited for the first 6 months of your provisional licence.[/quote]

During the first 6 months you need to have red P-plates also. Again, it is a minor increase in the 'leaner' phase which will help new drivers learn to drive before having a car full of mates at 3am with the music cranked and everyone yelling and moving around everywhere.

Also,

[quote]Provisional drivers can drive between midnight and 5am if:

* They are driving to or from their home to their place of work by the shortest possible route.

* Driving is required as part of their work duties.

* They are driving to or from a place of education or training where they are enrolled for tuition.[/quote]

So if you have a legitimate reason to be out on the road, it is acceptable.

chee 11-07-2008 10:20 AM

midnight curfew rule is bullshit.

i support the 0% BAC.

i also think there should be reforms in how you get your license. (more time on the road the better).

perthzed 11-07-2008 10:46 AM

But isn't it at night when the majority of p-platers are having accidents. At the end of the day neither the Police nor the Politicians want WA to have a high death toll. It makes them look bad and things like high road fatalities are issues that get brought up come election time. So they are not doing this because they are bored, they are doing this to protect their a$$es. When P-platers stop driving into trees at night with their buddies in tow, they'll relax the law. It basicaly comes down to stats. At the moment the stats make the Govt look like they are not doing their job. If it meant that P-platers had to wear clown suits to prevent accidents then thats what they would make P-platers do.

chee 11-07-2008 10:50 AM

lack of driver training.

MaD_OwNeD 11-07-2008 10:58 AM

blah blah blah! at least it's not like over east where p platers aren't allowed performance cars til they have their full licence. you'd all be having a big cry if WA decides to do the same thing. suck it up, at least you still can drive.

AWDmoke 11-07-2008 10:59 AM

I have one son currently on Ps & another about to get Ls.

The restrictions may cause them some difficulties, but overall it is a good step.
I remember when I had my Ps & the stupid things I did, we had dumb arse restrictions like max. 80kph speed limit.
Much prefer the current system.

For novice drivers, having an underpowered car is the best restriction.
Who here did not top out the speedo (usually in mum's car) while on their Ps?