Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28-07-2008, 11:32 AM
STI Master

doadrift at standard level
Default P platers and powerful cars and other stuff

I was just reading the topic about the 180 crash where Jason mentioned all P platers should not be allowed powerful cars, no more than 1 passenger and not allowed lout past 1pm.

I was just wondering what people thought WOULD be the best approach to them?
for 90% of people I agree with Jason, there are so many dickheads out there. And there is a differance between playing around with mates on a deserted road and driving stupid in the middle of traffic in the wet etc. Morally no differant but I feel there is, I mean everyone with a turbo car has done something wrong even if they wont admit it.

I dont know if I agree with what they did over east with the njo powerful cars thing, my fiance has just got her license and in turn taken her wrx off me (gay) and I'm more than happy shes in it.
Comparing her old car to her new one safety wise:

1993 Subaru impreza RX 1.6 fwd
Pros:
Not rwd so doesn't need to worry to much about oversteering in the wet.
Not turbo so she doesn't need to worry about it hitting boost and losing traction easily.
Cons:
Small brakes
FWD so understeering on wet/oily roads is bad.
No ABS so she could lock it up
standard suspension was boatlike meaning when turning on wet roundabouts its pushing all the weight of the car out

1994 Subaru Impreza WRX
Pros:
AWD never really loses traction even when pushed in the wet from what I've noticed
ABS
stiff suspension (The stock ones were stiff bt to be fair we've swapped in coilovers = noboatlike movements)
Bigger brakes for stopping quicker, added with abs the car can stop in a shitload shorter distance safely than the RX could
Cons:
I suppose power is a con (but she never evens hits boost, so this is upto the readers discretion) but it is possible to get short traction loss between gears in the wet.
Gearbox is abit stiffer and for a new driver it takes a while to learn, she did find it hard getting it into gear when she first go it compared to the RX.
Is able to go very very fast at top speed compared to RX (if the driver wanted to hit it)
Stiffer clutch (This could also go both ways. Jem found it Easier to find the friction point for learning purposes but it also means she needs to put the car in neutral at the lights so her leg doesnt ache, again it could be a good thing shes not sitting in gear all the time)

So for me driving both cars in wet crap stormy conditions I've found that in THIS case the WRX was a much SAFER car to drive than the RX. The WRX feels like your driving in perfect conditions all the time (unless of course you were doing ridiculous illegal speeds and turning, I have noticed the wrx does get slight understeer on wet roundabouts but only for a second).

I am much happier with her out there in the WRX. Again of course shes not a guy trying to impess the chickee babes and shes not out trying to pickup. Shes also not out partying with friends every night drink driving or just acting stupid. In other hands I could see the WRX being a weapon, but then in the wrong hands the RX could be just as big of a weapon. if not worse in the wet.

As for the new curfew I just thought I would throw my experience out there aswell.
The new curfew means you can't drive on the roads between midnight and 5am for the first phase of your P's (6months red and white plates).
Thats ok because jem works dayshift so no problem. On the other hand I work Nightshift and we only have her car at the moment. I also don't work at the same place so I MUST have a car with me.
I asked if she would be allowed to pick me up if she got written letters from my work saying that she was indeed coming to pick me up from Northbridge Metro city and I was told no because its not her work.
This means she can no longer use her car in the evenings at all as I leave for work at 8.00. She can't go to the shops for food/dvds/whatever, can't visit her friends/family, nothing.
Some of you might say thats ok but to be fair she doesnt speed, doesnt race, doesn't try and kick it out, doesnt even go over 4000rpm. She loves her car and license to much and is just happy she has a bit more freedom now.
And to be honest with you I already know a bunch of dickheads that as soon as it hits 12 just take there plates down and they are ones drink driving and doing stupid shit, speeding, whatever. So really these new law only effects the people who are doing the right thing in the first place and actually follow the law.
These other dickheads don't care and sure if they get pulled over they will get in trouble. What a small fine and some demerits at the worst?

While im ranting on the topic here is something else that gets to me, and I'm sure you all might have noticed it. Drink Driving VS Hoon Law.
I'm sure you have all known someone who has drink driven before and been busted. If not recently then whenever.
What I don't understand is that someone goes 10kmph over the limit and your car is gone. Fair enough you shouldn't be speeding but some cars do register there speedo out a bit and its very easy to not notice when you are just following the flow of traffic.
Yet if someone was drunk off there face and got pulled over they leave the car on the side of the road and the police might take the person to the station. Then when that person gets out a friend drops them back at there car and low and behold that person still drunk drives it home.
Booze bus's are worse.
Recently there has been a boozbus on joondalup drive/burns beach road heading to joondalup on friday nights. Great spot for catching Drink drivers. I work at yanchep on friday nights and drive past it.
Now they pull over ALOT of people. What happens to these people? They go on the bus get there details get a fine and then? Nothing. They just wait. The bus eventually packs up and when I come back past at 12:30 (30mins after the bus has left) all but 1 or 2 cars have been driven home
Why not take there cars from them for a week? This has been asked time and time again but nothing. Yet I do a standstill where I'm not going to crash into anyone not hurt anyone and in the worse situation just piss off my neighbours I can lose my car?
But I can go out of my nut using my vehicle as a missile and as long as I dont go over the speed limit (which I wont because I dont want to bring uneeded attention) I'm left with my keys next to my car on the honor system!!!!

Anyway what do you guys think?
Old 28-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Flat Four Father

FFOUR at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by doadrift

Pros:
AWD never really loses traction even when pushed in the wet from what I've noticed
You need to push harder then!

MY05 STI track car | VF Clubsport
Old 28-07-2008, 11:46 AM