Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Forum economists, whats the dollar going to do? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/22550-forum-economists-whats-dollar-going-do.html)

Hurtenstein 01-10-2008 04:33 PM

Forum economists, whats the dollar going to do?

So i know there's a few people on here that know about about the world economy. I've been watching the exchange between the AUD and USD slowly drop over the last couple of weeks. But i here on the news about some financial turmoil going on lately.

So the question is, is the exchange rate going to get worse or better over the next few weeks...

phizzle 01-10-2008 04:42 PM

It'll get worse before it gets better. There is an adgenda going on in the US for them to come to the rescue this late and it still hasn't happened yet!!

MY99 01-10-2008 04:42 PM

Flip a coin mate, predicting short term exchange rate movements is just like gambling.

Trexx 01-10-2008 04:44 PM

In turmoil investors often dump our dollar so make of that what you will.

If a US bailout is approved then the Turmoil may calm down for a while, which is what they are hoping.

I have a price for Two Dump Pipes from Perin delivered and am watching the $ before I place an order.

Not that it'll make too much difference to the overall price

nick6013 01-10-2008 04:47 PM

falling dollar is good for exports..

BALISTC 01-10-2008 04:51 PM

Falling dollar in the street is good for bums as long as it doesn't roll down a drain.

Mister Two 01-10-2008 05:09 PM

Ive got some of my investments tied up in property. Do you guys reckon sell or keep them and ride out the possible recession?

Hurtenstein 01-10-2008 05:10 PM

I'm keeping mine.

BOMB3R 01-10-2008 05:13 PM

[QUOTE=Mister Two]Ive got some of my investments tied up in property. Do you guys reckon sell or keep them and ride out the possible recession?[/QUOTE]
Ride it out, the Australian economy isn't as dependant on the American economy as it used to be. Housing prices will come good again over the next 12-18 months.

The bill was passed by congress but then there was a dispute over the fine points of the bill between the partie. It should pass in the next few days which will stabilize things.

BAS 01-10-2008 05:36 PM

The property market is set for a big fall due to everyone being too highly leveraged.
The US dollar is f*ckd thanks to the central bank printing money like its going out of fashion.

OR...

Property will come off a bit further, then stabilise due to population growth, Chinese demand supporting our economy, etc.
US dollar will strengthen as the bailout package will get the yanks moving again- strong US economy= stronger dollar.

Basically- ask 10 people, get 10 different answers. Remember its time in the market not market timing- particularly with an illiquid asset like property.
And yeah- as for trying to pick short term exchange rate movements- good luck. Thats one game i'll never play!