Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   destroying a hot water heater (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/22606-destroying-hot-water-heater.html)

meatbag 04-10-2008 11:24 PM

destroying a hot water heater

I am currently renting a place that has a completely inadequate hot water system. its to the point where in winter, the pressure is so low your head is burning but the rest of your body is freezing! and if you just touch the cold water tap as softly as possible with your left pinky, it is suddenly freezing, tap it back gently the other way and its burning again...

I've had enough and want it replaced! have made several complaints, every time, a plumber comes over and says its the best you'll get out of it, cant do anything. Even tryed slipping one $50 to say it needed to be replaced but he was to straight.

So, it is one of those little gas heaters that light up when you turn hot water on, what i want to know, is there a way i can destroy this thing so it absolutely must be replaced? and [B]not[/B] look like It was done on purpose?

I was thinking the safety root and finding a rusty spot on the gas pipe and tap it till it makes a hole? probably too easy to replace. maybe 'rubbing a few wires' till they short circuit the whole thing?

Ideas?

wannabox 04-10-2008 11:28 PM

[QUOTE=meatbag]I am currently renting a place that has a completely inadequate hot water system. its to the point where in winter, the pressure is so low your head is burning but the rest of your body is freezing! and if you just touch the cold water tap as softly as possible with your left pinky, it is suddenly freezing, tap it back gently the other way and its burning again...

I've had enough and want it replaced! have made several complaints, every time, a plumber comes over and says its the best you'll get out of it, cant do anything. Even tryed slipping one $50 to say it needed to be replaced but he was to straight.

So, it is one of those little gas heaters that light up when you turn hot water on, what i want to know, is there a way i can destroy this thing so it absolutely must be replaced? and [B]not[/B] look like It was done on purpose?

I was thinking the safety root and finding a rusty spot on the gas pipe and tap it till it makes a hole? probably too easy to replace. maybe 'rubbing a few wires' till they short circuit the whole thing?

Ideas?[/QUOTE]

Mmm something about putting a hole in the gas pipe doesn't sound safe to me :P... Why not trash it and blame it on the local hoodlums...

dtrally 04-10-2008 11:28 PM

Is there good water pressure in the house?
We had a gas instant HWS in our old place and it was a ripper. I find they need a certain amount of water going through them to keep them on. ie; turn the hot on all the way, not just a little bit, then regulate the temp by adding cold. If there's insuficient pressure available that may be the problem, not the heater itself. :confused:

meatbag 05-10-2008 05:32 AM

Nope, no pressure anywhere in the house. the temperature is set to full, and I turn the tap on so far it sometimes falls off, still no pressure. Tried changing the temperature to its lowest to get the higher pressure, but its still crap and doesn't get anywhere near hot enough.

The idea of a hole in the gas pipe is so IT IS unsafe, that way the people we rent off HAVE to replace it.

This one is very small hence why it is inadequate. I have had a few others in my time renting and never had this problem, but they were all at least twice the size!

Hurtenstein 05-10-2008 07:15 AM

is there pressure in your cold lines?

DAN682 05-10-2008 09:29 AM

I have just had a similar problem.

You need a low pressure HWS which usually has a header tank that stores the water and then pumps it through with pressure.

If you ask any plumber they will say that the HWS you have is incorrect for your house and you require a Low pressure HWS installed

Kato 05-10-2008 09:47 AM

Is the temperature set to max on the instant on hot water system?

If so, try turning it down. When it is on max, the water stays in the system longer making the water hotter, but also reduces the pressure of the hot water in the house. With a bit of experimentation you can get good hot water (may take a few seconds to come up to temp) and good pressure.

Do not start rupturing gas lines!

meatbag 06-10-2008 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=DAN682]

f you ask any plumber they will say that the HWS you have is incorrect for your house and you require a Low pressure HWS installed[/QUOTE]

You'd think so, but as we are renting, they only send the rental companies plumber, and i have tried slipping him a 50 to say this but it didn't work :(

Even when the temperature is set to the lowest temp, pressure is still crap! as in still won't get soap off, The girl that i live with has to either have a bath or a cold shower if she want's to wash her hair beacuse at a warm temperature no matter what it doesn't rinse the shampoo out.

Plenty of cold water pressure.

What i am saying is, The hot water is fooked! no ifs, buts, maybe's, it just crap! I need to destroy this thing in a way that doesn't look suss so the rental company HAS to replace it. Ideas?

doddsy 06-10-2008 06:06 AM

Could try turning off the water supply to the heater and leaving it switched on with a hot tap running.
Not sure how safe this would be and you might be better off going out for a while.
Boiler might be on next-doors front lawn when you get home but, it will deffo get you a new one lol

Small print ;
(I hearby take no responsability for your actions if you choose to follow my stupid ideas)

DAN682 06-10-2008 08:05 AM

Turning the temp down wont do shit. They run a heat exchanger unit and do not slow the water down as it heats it more, well I know my infinity definitely doesn't.

If I were you, I would just unbolt the fuckn thing and throw it in the bin, then say it was stolen.

You will endure a week of cold showers (nothing new by the sounds) and they will claim replace it.

Small print
Insurance fraud is bad mmkay