Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 07:00 PM
Sir AntiLag

megs_wrx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to megs_wrx

Wikipedia Article on the use of mobile phone inflight...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phones_on_aircraft

Mobile phone possible cause of plane crash in Slovenia...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/01...cted_in_plane/

SNOPES article on the use of mobile phones when filling up...

http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp

There is no proof that mobile phones can ignite anything whilst filling up, but there is a small chance, so a small risk... so like everyone these days... petrol stations and airports are covering their asses.

Ginger Ninja...
Old 12-10-2008, 07:58 PM
STI Master

perthzed at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
QANTAS ain't had a crash yet...... don't mean it can't happen.

Not quite true. Thats a bit of an urban myth. They've never had an accident with a jet powered plane, but have had a few accidents (with fatalities) prior to jet aircraft.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

The QANTAS ScareBus A330 that made an emergency landing in Learmonth (Exmouth) was virtually brand new - QANTAS having only just taken delivery of that particular aircraft from Toulouse France.

There appears to have been a malfunction of one of its flight control computers (FCC) or possible interference in the control circuits that control the elevator(s) ie. The flight controls that climb or descend the A330.

When your flying with an airspeed around 900km p/h airspeed at cruise altitudes, it takes very very small inputs to the flight controls to induce significantly large G - force loadings on the airframe and passengers that can cause damage and injury.

The pilots have said that one moment all they saw in the cockpit windscreen was complete blue sky, the next a windscreen full of deep blue water - there were some pretty significant pitch attitudes cause by the malfunction.

QANTAS sent up a Boeing 767 and also a QANTASLink Boeing 717 to rescue the pax. and crew. Everyone was pretty shaken up - understandably. Particularly the crew, who operate in the A330 week in week out.

Airbus is also sending an investigation team out from Toulouse to download logged Aircraft data and examine the aircraft. It was a very serious incident.

As for mobile phones - certain models on the Telstra Next G network have coverage way out into the outback deserts of Australia at cruise altitude (30 000 feet plus). You would be amazed at the reception distance with line of sight coverage to the mobile transmission tower.

QANTAS have had a serious accident - the Bangkok Boeing 747 aircraft runway overrun in heavy rain by one of QANTAS most senior pilots - a "Simulator Check and Trainer" pilot. September 23rd 1999.

It cost QANTAS more than 100 Million to repair the B747 - more than the aircraft was worth just so QANTAS could keep their insurance premiums down and never have a jet hull loss on their books.

Links here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archi...p/t-78766.html

Full ATSB report here:
http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/...904538_001.pdf

J
Old 13-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Subaru Tech Division

MKVIGTI at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by phizzle
QANTAS ain't had a crash yet...... don't mean it can't happen.
Qantas has had a number of crashes.

Qantas has not had a fatal jet crash.

Only a matter of time before statistics catch up with them if they keep screwing up.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSTi
Qantas has had a number of crashes.

Qantas has not had a fatal jet crash.

Only a matter of time before statistics catch up with them if they keep screwing up.
when/what commercial jet crashes have they had?
Old 13-10-2008, 10:31 AM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adr3naL1N
when/what commercial jet crashes have they had?
They haven't had any. They had quite a few prior to jet technology. I don't think Qantas have actually said 'we've never had an accident' it comes from the media etc and I'm sure Qantas are never going to argue with them. I don't really understand why they should differentiate between prop and jets. A crash is a crash.

Last edited by perthzed; 13-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Subaru Tech Division

Adr3naL1N at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Adr3naL1N

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
They haven't had any. They had quite a few prior to jet technology. I don't think Qantas have actually said 'we've never had an accident' it comes from the media etc and I'm sure Qantas are never going to argue with them.
yeah i didnt think so
Old 13-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthzed
Not quite true. Thats a bit of an urban myth. They've never had an accident with a jet powered plane, but have had a few accidents (with fatalities) prior to jet aircraft.
So Qantas is the only one, and that was how many years ago? Technology and experience have come a long way for both Qantas and aircraft manufacturers...
Old 13-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Sir AntiLag

megs_wrx at standard level
Send a message via MSN to megs_wrx

They have had several accidents... a few were runway overuns... including the one Jamie is talking about. They differentiate between prop and jets because they are completely different era's.

For everyones information the last fatal crash for Qantas happened in 1951, and they have a total of 11 fatal crashes, all occured between 1927 and 1951. The most amount of lives lost at one time was 15.

Wikipedia Article below, includes descriptions of all fatal crashes. Majority of the planes were "Flying Boats" or "Biplanes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_fatal_accidents

EDIT: For those not wanting to fly with Qantas because you think they are unsafe, because of all this media hype lately... don't fly with any Airline.

Ginger Ninja...

Last edited by megs_wrx; 13-10-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 13-10-2008, 04:05 PM
STI Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs_wrx
They have had several accidents... a few were runway overuns... including the one Jamie is talking about. They differentiate between prop and jets because they are completely different era's.

For everyones information the last fatal crash for Qantas happened in 1951, and they have a total of 11 fatal crashes, all occured between 1927 and 1951. The most amount of lives lost at one time was 15.

Wikipedia Article below, includes descriptions of all fatal crashes. Majority of the planes were "Flying Boats" or "Biplanes"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_fatal_accidents

EDIT: For those not wanting to fly with Qantas because you think they are unsafe, because of all this media hype lately... don't fly with any Airline.
I wasn't suggesting they weren't safe, but you constantly hear in the media how Qantas has never had a crash. Which is simply not true. If they want to talk stats then they need to get it right. It's irrelevant what type of engine they're using and when the accidents happened. They happened, Qantas doesn't have a perfect safety record. In the modern era they do and I'll always fly with them. Its a bit silly some of the stories that are making the press re Qantas e.g returning to the airport because a toilet was faulty/blocked etc. I'm sure this happens all the time to other airlines. Saying that I do think that all the negative publicity Qantas is getting, is a good thing for us passengers. Maybe they have been a bit lacsidasical recently in regards to maintenance/safety and the press they've been getting is going to ensure they are more stringent with their maintenance? All I know is I flew Aeroflot once and if anyone wants to criticise Qantas, then I'd suggest they fly Aeroflot. That plane should never have left the ground. I found God on that flight.

Tags
a380, airbus, falls, sky, wa