Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Anyone into road cycling? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/24312-anyone-into-road-cycling.html)

vivioman 14-01-2009 04:28 PM

Anyone into road cycling?

My friend just got me interested in cycling again and I join him every weekend.

Only problem is that he rides a road bike and mine is a mountain bike. This being the case, I can never match up to his speed and/or endurance because my bike is not built for long distance road cycling. :(

Anyway I'm thinking about getting a road bike and just wondering if anyone here is into road cycling and what bikes they have, brand/model preference as well as groupset.

Thanks

BN01 14-01-2009 04:32 PM

I have a Trek "1000" (couple of years old) which was the entry level mens road bike from Trek at the time. Quality bit of kit. Cost me $1000 (plus some extras such as different pedals etc).

From memory, todays model equivalent of mine is called the "1.2".

BOMB3R 14-01-2009 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=vivioman]My friend just got me interested in cycling again and I join him every weekend.

Only problem is that he rides a road bike and mine is a mountain bike. This being the case, I can never match up to his speed and/or endurance because my bike is not built for long distance road cycling. :(

Anyway I'm thinking about getting a road bike and just wondering if anyone here is into road cycling and what bikes they have, brand/model preference as well as groupset.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I have a Masi road bike which I have ridden 4 times mate! It is worth (or was when I bought it) around 2k. I was going to be putting it up for sale this week. It is yours for $1200 if you want it. It has cleets and the shoes I have are size 9 worth $200+ which I will throw in if you're keen.

American Dave 14-01-2009 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=PIGSTi]I have a Masi road bike which I have ridden 4 times mate! It is worth (or was when I bought it) around 2k. I was going to be putting it up for sale this week. It is yours for $1200 if you want it. It has cleets and the shoes I have are size 9 worth $200+ which I will throw in if you're keen.[/QUOTE]

bet you have fluro spandex bikewear too ah mate? own up mate!

BOMB3R 14-01-2009 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave]bet you have fluro spandex bikewear too ah mate? own up mate![/QUOTE]
No comment! I do look fukn sexy though ;)

DAN682 14-01-2009 04:55 PM

I have a custom made Merida Road HFS 906.

I love it! So light, awesome gearset. I am a fat bastard and I can get it to 70km/h bursts easy and usually sit anywhere from 40/45km/h

Highly recommended

Roger at Push N Pedal Cycles stock them: 9582 0131

BAS 14-01-2009 06:19 PM

[QUOTE=DAN682]I have a custom made Merida Road HFS 906.

I love it! So light, awesome gearset. I am a fat bastard and I can get it to 70km/h bursts easy and usually sit anywhere from 40/45km/h

Highly recommended

Roger at Push N Pedal Cycles stock them: 9582 0131[/QUOTE]

I think you might need to re-calibrate you computer bro! I raced for a small pro team in France several years ago so i go ok and i don't remember 45km/hr being that easy :confused:

Anyway, bike you get will depend on how much you want to spend. That one of Jaron's sounds pretty good if its right size, otherwise something like Giant is pretty popular.

DAN682 14-01-2009 06:23 PM

I can almost keep up with cars in a 50 zone, but I will check the computer out anyway. I haven't been riding in over 6 months. Beer is a much better idea lately :o

TopGear 14-01-2009 06:25 PM

can you guys go on the footpath? :p

wannabox 14-01-2009 06:29 PM

[QUOTE=TopGear]can you guys go on the footpath? :p[/QUOTE]

LOL snap!