Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-03-2009, 10:22 AM
STI Master

Trexx at standard level
Send a message via Yahoo to Trexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrX_bAbY

So it can be his hobbie.. right? He doesn't advertise - customers come from friends of friends or recommendations.

It's similar to saying 'if your mate asked you to come around to his house to clean up his house or fix his car, or fix his computer, and he'll pay you ....say 100 bucks for it, would you go to the tax company and declare it.'

How do I tell whether I am in business?

There is no simple answer to whether you are in business or not, it depends upon the facts in each case. However, you can use the following questions to help you determine whether your activity is actually a business:
  • Does your activity have a significant commercial purpose or character?
  • Do you have more than just an intention to engage in business?
  • Do you have a purpose of profit as well as a prospect of profit?
  • Is there repetition and regularity to your activity?
  • Is your activity carried on in a similar manner to other businesses in your industry?
  • Is your activity planned, organised and carried on in a business-like manner?
  • Does your activity have characteristics of size, scale and permanency?
  • Would it be true to say your activity is really better described as a business, rather than a hobby, recreation or sporting activity?
Each time you answered ‘yes’ to the questions above, it increases the probability that you are in business though no one indicator is decisive, they must be considered in combination and as a whole.
Old 26-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Subaru Tech Division

vyper at standard level

Quote:

It's similar to saying 'if your mate asked you to come around to his house to clean up his house or fix his car, or fix his computer, and he'll pay you ....say 100 bucks for it, would you go to the tax company and declare it.'
A mate wouldn't charge
Old 26-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Scoobie Noobie

WrX_bAbY at standard level

Well then, I guess he is a business. But for everyone here who has a second/third job, if you were to do private jobs (as most private jobs, people prefer cash jobs - tradies, mechs, etc) would you be an angel and tell the tax dept how much you really made? Or would you slip that into your pockets?
Old 26-03-2009, 11:16 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

deviant at standard level

Quote:
If you did a private job, would you declare it?

Btw, he doesn't have a business number or anything, as I said, he worked FOR a tint, car detailer place and while he's got the experience, he said he might as well use it.

So it can be his hobbie.. right? He doesn't advertise - customers come from friends of friends or recommendations.

Completely different scenario. For a start off $100 is a long way under the amount you need to earn before declaring tax or GST.

Quote:
Well then, I guess he is a business. But for everyone here who has a second/third job, if you were to do private jobs (as most private jobs, people prefer cash jobs - tradies, mechs, etc) would you be an angel and tell the tax dept how much you really made? Or would you slip that into your pockets?
Again there is a difference between taking $100 from a mate to put some brake pads in his car and taking $100 every single day for a repetition of tasks earning a substantial amount above the point he should have declared his income.
If this was something he was doing because he enjoys it and is just puttng his hard earned skills to good use then I'm sure he would not mind reducing his fee's to the point he earns below the tax threshold for a 2nd income.

What you...sorry your mate...is doing is down right illegal and I sincerely hope the ATO catches up with him. Why should he not have to pay tax when the rest of us do?
Old 26-03-2009, 11:23 AM
Scoobie Noobie

Get a second job then find out if you like being taxed a shitload mate.

Again, I'm NOT the one that is doing this.. sif I have the time, im a girl, 19, a full time student, and parttime/casual video ezy in Joondanna, how am I suppose to keep up making this for a living.

He does pay his taxes, not on his second job, i guess majority of tradies are doing it illegal as they prefer doing cash jobs - even though some of them write a reciept, of course they write it down lower than what you actually pay them.

Oh wells. i guess all the tradies are lined up to catch up with the ATO as well.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

haha shouldnt have said you're a girl, this thread may get seedier :P

one thing you might suggest to him - invest the money? Or buy heaps of gift vouchers :P
Old 26-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Get a second job then find out if you like being taxed a shitload mate.

Again, I'm NOT the one that is doing this.. sif I have the time, im a girl, 19, a full time student, and parttime/casual video ezy in Joondanna, how am I suppose to keep up making this for a living.

He does pay his taxes, not on his second job, i guess majority of tradies are doing it illegal as they prefer doing cash jobs - even though some of them write a reciept, of course they write it down lower than what you actually pay them.

Oh wells. i guess all the tradies are lined up to catch up with the ATO as well.
Tax is a fact of life. You will be taxed more per pay being a second job, but it will be corrected at the end of the taxation year.

By collecting a large amount of regular cash jobs all they are doing is screwing everyone else. $24k per year cash is a fuck load of money to have as a 'little bonus'. It's not a $100 to help someone out (i.e. a gift). This is a business and if they are caught (good probability they will) they will face massive tax bills and whinge on Today Tonight.

Want the risk of being caught. Don't declare it.

Want to sleep at night knowing everything is fine. Declare it.

As has been said a lot of very powerful and savvy people are in jail for tax avoidance. This is nothing different.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Scoobie Noobie

I thought having wrx_baby is somewhat more of a girls nickname rather then a guy having it, oh wells.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Scoobie Noobie

forgot to mention, i've never seen a girl car detail and car tint for extra money..lol doesn't fit into the stereotype now does it.lol
Old 26-03-2009, 11:55 AM
STI Master

SweLLy at standard level

you could be wrong, i don't see how car detailing doesn't fit into the stereotype there is a girl across my workplace from me who details cars so yeah.

Not being sexist tho, detailing is just like cleaning amirite?
Closed Thread

Tags
cash, salary