Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24-07-2009, 01:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

slg at standard level

VX and Grande won't have an LSD as they have traction control which needs to isolate each wheel to prevent slip, so therefore only have the high spec DAT, GXL and lower budget have LSD and no traction control, still with DAT but with less features. Brake assist and other bit's 'n' bobs.
So if you were sitting in the up spec models then that 'X' may have been for traction control...
I myself have a GXL with the V6 petrol, i like it as it does everything I need it to and I can fit all 4 kids in it.
A friend has the older diesel model, it struggles to pull his boat, but it is a big boat where as mine does it a lot easier.

Depends on how much you need from the car.
Old 24-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete gopal View Post
you happy with prado as a 4wd? if im looking for a second hand one how do i tell if one has a busted LSD?
The LSD's don't 'bust' they are simply just too weak to drive the car forward when one wheel is in the air. They are like that from new, and don't get any worse. I rebuilt one with new clutches and shimmed it up tighter for a guy with a 60 series and it was just as bad. Mits and Nissan LSD's have a stronger action (nothing to do with the strength of the axle itself) but will still struggle to drive on one side alone.

Am I happy with the Prado as a 4wd? I don't know yet.
I came from a fully loaded 80 series GXL factory turbo with the lot. Intercooler, 3" exh, winch, Bilsteins, lift, polyair, snorkel, water tank, hot shower, dual batts etc etc. I worked for a long time in the industry and ticked every box on that truck and it was perfect for extended touring, C.S. Route, Gibb River, Gunbarrell Hwy etc. But it was a compromise on the road. It's weight made it slow around town even with upgraded power. I'm over doing that kind of expedition and the new Prado is stock standard (not even a bullbar) and I intend on keeping it that way. I have a portable air compressor (last of the USA made) and tyre deflators so I can still go on the beach and do sensible recreational 4wd if I get the urge. For my needs at the present it's perfect. Petrol V6 Auto gets better economy than my old TD 80 and it's nice to drive around town. Excellent for towing and comfortable for touring.
My advice would be to think seriously about what you want to do with the 4wd before you make it too hardcore. Prado's drive so well without modification that it will probably do you well. Get on to pradopoint.com (I think it is) and see what they reckon.
Old 25-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Flat Four Father

urabus knows their stuff

I know you said that you were after a 2nd hand one but the new model is being launched in a couple of months. V6 petrol is going to be 220kw's.

Looks like a mini 200 series.

If you still want a 2nd hand one then I would wait until the new one lobs and use that as a barganning tool.

I bought one for a mate (through our fleet deal) when the current shape first lobbed. Brand new GXL in dark blue turbo diesel and auto. From memory it was about $55k. His wife drove it for 5 years and did 90k in it and it needed 2 new front tyres and had all the usual shopping trolley dings and a dealer bought it off him outright (i.e. no trade) for $32k. Seriously cheap motoring if you can stretch to a new one.

Brendon
Old 25-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Sign me up!
Handbrake!!

dtrally is a gurudtrally is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabus View Post
. From memory it was about $55k. His wife drove it for 5 years and did 90k in it and it needed 2 new front tyres and had all the usual shopping trolley dings and a dealer bought it off him outright (i.e. no trade) for $32k. Seriously cheap motoring if you can stretch to a new one.

Brendon
So true with Toyota products in general. I laugh when people would say " I bought a secondhand Rexton or Terracan because I couldn't afford a Prado.
In 5 years time when they try to sell it they may not be so happy with their decission.
Old 27-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

thanks for your advice guys, I do have $50k or thereabouts to spend on one and it does look like 2007 gxl at the moment for that price. The big plus is the d4d which came out late 2006 (the kd120 model), for the ammount of 'light' to 'medium' 4wd i'd be doing this car should be perfect. I'll get the car and bro is buying a boat so prado will get a good run more often than not. And as dtrally has said it's better than 100/80 series around town as well.

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!
Old 07-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Finally she's here:

2009 gxl d4d prado (including bullbar, towbar, ralleye 1000s). I'll post up some pics soon as we've got lancelin/kalbarri trips planned up soon. Also nullarbor cross comming up over christmas (possibly annabell highway, we'll see how much dirt can the baby handle )

thanks to the person from pwrx who helped me a bit with this

Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

nice work man! i'd be a bit uncertain of getting a brand spanker all scratched up!

get some pics up!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
nice work man! i'd be a bit uncertain of getting a brand spanker all scratched up!

get some pics up!
i won't be diving into the thickest bush just yet but some beach work + bit of mud can't harm it. Will post them up soon

Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Subaru Tech Division

took a while but here is one from last weekends trip to Kalbarri.

Already got a compressor installed and few other quick mods will follow:

- beam underbody rust protection (the non sticky spray) + sealing all electrical terminals up to 0.7m
- diff + tranny breathers
- arb deluxe alloy roof rack + another spare tyre
- safari snorkel

that should help me out with most of my 4wding needs (mainly beach/shallow water).

Old 02-10-2009, 09:28 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

This is a real mans 4wd

http://www.cartorque.co.za/images/TO...0OLD1px230.jpg

I have one just like this . I actually use it for its intended purpose and always make sure it is covered in MUD!. The rear is painted with big red TOYOTA in full tsunami style

Tags
4wd, buy, jeep 4 lyfe, rolux