Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Internet Service Provider Dilema (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/28515-internet-service-provider-dilema.html)

Stevo B 12-08-2009 08:11 PM

Internet Service Provider Dilema

Hi-ya.

We are moving out of our home this weekend in Butler (South Geraldton to some) and moving to a rental for 12 months until we get a house built. The problem we have is that the majority of Butler estate incorporates e-wire as the service provider via cable. The rental we are moving into in the Green (also Butler) and has Telstra standard phone line fibre connection that is not compatible with e-wires cable connection set up. We currently pay $50 per month with e-wire, where as Bigpond's set up will be $85 +. Any ideas guys/girls on the best option to go with.

Cheers:cool:

elemist 12-08-2009 08:27 PM

Is Telstra standard copper or is it the new Telstra Velocity fibre? If it is, well hate to be the one to tell you but your up shit creek without a paddle.

Velocity is currently not wholesaled meaning only Telstra operates service on it and as they don't run standard copper you have no choice but to pay the extortionate rates they charge.

If it's standard copper then check out amnet - [url]www.amnet.com.au[/url]

Stevo B 12-08-2009 08:36 PM

Thanks Troy. I will check out whether its the Telstra Velocity fibre :( or not and hopefully it will be the standard copper set up:D. Cheers for the feedback.

elemist 12-08-2009 11:51 PM

no probs Stevo. I'm building in a Telstra Velocity estate, thought it was a good thing to start with until i did a spot of reading - [url]http://www.telstra.com.au/smartcommunity/assets/23810TSC_velocity_rate_card.pdf[/url]

Cross your fingers it's standard copper and you'll be fine. There's some pretty good plans around at the moment. I've always been a fan of Amnet/Amcom and they've just adjusted their plans to give everyone higher downloads per month.

Alternatively i know a few of my mates are with TPG, they have a few nice plans with pretty decent rates.

If you want to save yourself some cash, check out a naked DSL connection with attached VOIP.

- Cheers Troy

JDM_STYLE 12-08-2009 11:57 PM

Im also building in one of these Telstra Velocity Estates and
have to go with Telstra but its kind of made it a little bit better
by the fact we have been given a $1500 credit/rebate on their
services.

Was quite disapointed when i found out we can only go with
Telstra, hopefully they will wholesale it out in the future!

NVRENUF 13-08-2009 06:46 AM

Shit didn't realize that they screw ya over like that with the new velocity. Telstra are the worst bastards around.

I built in a estate that has E-wire too lucky for me though we had copper as well.
Because e-wire are not cheap either. and your restricted to what modem you can use too.

NVRENUF 13-08-2009 06:47 AM

the other thing mate you dont want a contract either if you only there for 12 months.

saturation 13-08-2009 07:22 AM

Consider wireless ? Not sure on rates but its got to be cheaper than Telstra ?

I remember when they use to charge folks 69.95 pm on 64/256 call it unlimited and shape em after 10 gigs...

tuna 13-08-2009 07:27 AM

satellite.

Denver 13-08-2009 08:32 AM

Im a bit out of the tech loop here

but the way im reading it is you move into a new housing estate, and the only service provider you can get is telstra as they won't allow you to connect to another provider via the lead in infastructure?..

is this an optic fibre connection to your hous,e or the normal copper line into the house?

if its just copper, and they are not allowing you to chose who you wish to use for dsl, id be on to the ACCC, as thats highly illegal

or is there some stupid disclaimer you have to sign when you move into said estate agreeing to only using telstra?, something im also willing to betis illegal...