Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Sethor at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to Sethor Send a message via MSN to Sethor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel wrx View Post
last time i was at metros for a concert, the main floor was so slippery that ppl were falling over every minute
Haha Ive noticed that when stainless steel floor in front of the stage gets wet.
Old 14-08-2009, 12:42 PM
Subaru Tech Division

Josh at standard level
Send a message via MSN to Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel wrx View Post
last time i was at metros for a concert, the main floor was so slippery that ppl were falling over every minute
Go for a dance at Paddys in Bali mate
Old 14-08-2009, 12:45 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

jamesvdm at standard level
Send a message via MSN to jamesvdm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethor View Post
Its a shame festivals are taking over, I'm almost fed up with the shit sound setups of festivals.
That and the grass turning to dirt by half way and then mud if they have the sprayers going.

Also you get more of a moshing type of crowd at a festival even if it's trance.
Old 14-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Sir AntiLag

Voot at standard level

saw him in melbourne in 2008 will defiently be going back over there
most amazing concert of my life
will most likley see him in melbourne and perth!
armin is nothing compared to the father of trance tiesto
Old 14-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Lol, he's not the father of trance.
Old 14-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Sir AntiLag

Voot at standard level

haha i know but for me he is
Old 14-08-2009, 02:43 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

I heard he isn't even very good at mixing <flamesuit>
Old 14-08-2009, 02:57 PM
Subaru Tech Division

astralex knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to astralex

Don't get me wrong, Tiesto is damn good. Otherwise he wouldn't have been crowned Best DJ in the World for 3 years in a row (I think it was 3). But he's by no means the father of trance. As for his mixing, what exactly are you referring to? Tiesto is a performer, nuf said, and he's damn good at it. I can't say I'm all that fond of his ego (Praise the dj), but he will always put on a damn good set, and the tracks he has produced are pretty impressive; Adagio for strings, just be, blah blah.
Old 14-08-2009, 03:22 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

I have nothing to back it up, just what I heard.

I give him a thumbsup for some good tunes.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Subaru Tech Division

WRXTASY at standard level

Tiestio, hmmm. I was a fan back around 2000.

Trouble with these Dutch trance guys these days is its all show and no substance.
Fluffy Vocals and no musical journey to speak of during their sets.

I much prefer the stuff Marcus Schulz is putting out these days. Its still what I consider proper trance.

And before we all start gushing and ooohhhing and aaaahing a post from Discogs:
Quote:
I dont know how I even ended up reading the reviews on this page, but I do know that statements about this freak being the "best dj in the world, etc. etc." can not be allowed to filter into the collective consciousness unchallenged. If that were allowed to happen, everything would fall apart, we would all spontaneously de-evolve, up would become down, cats would have sex with dogs and rational thought as we know it would disappear. And Ill be damned if Im going to contribute to that happening.

So I just have to say for the record that this.. this thing is nothing more than a marketing scheme and any claims of him being the best DJ in the world are patently ludicrous. Music wise, there is nothing new here. Same old re-hashed formulas and a no talent money machine. This is not a baseless accusation either, just check the credits on his productions. When it says "Written/Composed by: XXXX" it means that, hello, somebody else did all the work. Simple music for simple minded people who dont want to have to think too hard.

Of course, those of us with a functioning brain already know this. So the real issue becomes this: what can be done about this wooden shoe wearing, tulip growing menace?

Simple. Ive outlined a few steps you can take to help wage this war:

1) If you hear somebody extolling the virtues of this thing, smack them casually (but firmly) upside the head and continue the conversation as if nothing had happened. Pavlov was onto something and theres no reason why you shouldnt be able to employ this slight variation of his methods.

2) Though the lions share of commerce these days is done online, there are certainly places where this things CDs and records are sold in physical stores. If you ever have occasion to do so at one of these dens of depravity, you should vomit, urinate, defecate or otherwise expel your bodily fluid(s) of choice so as to contaminate every last piece of this things merchandise so that the store is unable to sell it.

3) Organize an event showcasing your favorite type of actual music and aggressively advertise that the price of admission will be halved for everyone who brings you one of this things CDs, records, t-shirts, shoes, caps, keychains or any other such nonsense that is branded with his name or image. Be very careful to wear rubber gloves when handling the items and throw them all into a gigantic bonfire pit, to be lit at the culmination of the event.

If we could all employ this 3 pronged attack, I think we could make some real progress on this.

Now, to the fanbois. I know your face is probably beet red right about now and theres a good chance your body is trembling, but I need you to hear and understand what Im saying to you. We dont just hate Tiesto. Hes a mere puppet who is a symptom of a larger problem and I think that anybody who puts him down probably realizes this. Its just that he has willingly made himself the poster boy for the commercialization of electronic music and, hence, a big fat target. There was a time when people actually attended raves and went to hear music they couldnt hear anywhere else and socialize with other people who were just as sick of normal societys bullshit as they were. They didnt go to idolize some idiot who was just properly marketed. It was the music and it moved people. If you support and defend this Asshat, it is a slap in the face to everybody who comes to this for the right reasons. Just look at what has happened to every other subculture that has been co-opted. Hip-hop is a mere shadow of its former self. Rock and roll was castrated decades ago and is no longer a viable option for conveying a real message. Punk has become Emo and is sold at Hot Topic. Even country music used to have some grit to it, but look at the saccharine sweet bag of shit it is now.

Your hero is just another cog in the giant money machine that music has been allowed to be reduced to. Its only about money. The fact that he has to hire engineers to make his productions for him means that he is no different than a boy band that has other people write their songs. If an "artist" isnt making their own art, how can you put any faith in it? How can you listen to something that they themselves do not believe in and not feel like youve been played for a sucker while they laugh at you all the way to the bank?

The bottom line is that there is a lot of different music out there and lots of genre lines that we create. But what it all comes down to is that there is music that lies and music that does not lie. Support music that does not lie, please.

Last edited by WRXTASY; 14-08-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Tags
2010, early, hit, perth, set, shows, tiesto