Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Sir AntiLag

Subafury at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue.spec View Post
i also saw a nissan patrol comin of grandfamer roll his car landed on the drivers side
my dad saw this happen also - in his rear view. he reckons someone must of tboned him as he was turning
Old 15-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Yeah that may of been a fairly big mistake of mine gumby. I have first aid training, but didnt check to see if the person helping him had training also, he seemed to be doing alright though.

Thanks wrx oh oh, i just did what i could and got out of there mate, the guy was wearing leathers so he didnt get cutup too much. Bike was pretty scuffed up.
Old 15-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Hmm...

Can anyone provide actual proof of someone in Australia being sued for providing help/first aid causing further injury (i.e. guy falls off his bike and you pull him out of the way of an oncoming truck, but his neck was broken and you didn't support it correctly / crack someones ribs performing CPR etc etc)?

When I went through my last bit of training, I was told no one had ever been sued.

Also, where is it written that you must provide assistance if you have training? I sure as hell won't be performing mouth to mouth on some drugged out loser or the like. Sure you will want to be a good human being and provide assistance where possible, but saying you will be sued if you don't is way over the top.

There is a hell of a lot of hear say in this. If you can be sued for not providing assistance or doing something wrong at the time, why the hell become a first aider?
Old 15-09-2009, 09:15 AM
STI Master

AWDmoke at standard level

As long as you provide assistance to the best of your ability/training you have nothing to fear. If you go the grope or stick the tongue in during mouth-to-mouth, that's another matter!
Old 15-09-2009, 09:17 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

haydn_wolf at standard level

I can say from experience, being sued isn't the first thing to go though your mind if someone infront of you is in need of first aid. Although you shouldnt have to even have to consider it in the first place.
Old 15-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Sign me up!
The Converter

GX-REX at standard level

As far as I was aware, and this goes back about 12 - 13 years so could be different now.
I was led to believe you are under no obligation to help anybody but if you do begin to provide first aid at an accident scene then you are required to stay there until proper medical care arrives. Not sure if you can get in the shit for commencing and then stopping first aid or if it is just common courtesy.
Old 15-09-2009, 10:00 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

haydn_wolf at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GX-REX View Post
As far as I was aware, and this goes back about 12 - 13 years so could be different now.
I was led to believe you are under no obligation to help anybody but if you do begin to provide first aid at an accident scene then you are required to stay there until proper medical care arrives. Not sure if you can get in the shit for commencing and then stopping first aid or if it is just common courtesy.
The only reason would be if your life or a pedestrian/ bystander is placed in a life threating situation, unless you physically can not continue on applying first aid. Unsure about the obligation to stay, although informing the paramedics of what first aid you took would be the right thing to do.
Old 15-09-2009, 10:04 AM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydn_wolf View Post
I can say from experience, being sued isn't the first thing to go though your mind if someone infront of you is in need of first aid. Although you shouldnt have to even have to consider it in the first place.
exactly mate you do what you have to do to save them if possible, but sayin that in the the emirates you can be sued for giving first aid, being a muslim country they believe in allah an what will be will be...

so maybe in another few years you will have to worry about that in australia as the are many more muslims arriving...

so if in doubt,

A... sniff them for curry smells
B.. check pockets for mini prayer mats or koran
C. check for explosives.

if all is clear, then and only then proceed to give first aid.

lust jokes...
Old 15-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Sign me up!
uh oh

gumby at standard level
Send a message via MSN to gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
Hmm...

Can anyone provide actual proof of someone in Australia being sued for providing help/first aid causing further injury (i.e. guy falls off his bike and you pull him out of the way of an oncoming truck, but his neck was broken and you didn't support it correctly / crack someones ribs performing CPR etc etc)?

You cannot be sued or charged for offering assistance if you are a trained first aider if something like your example happens. The government has rules in place to protect you as well as a type of insurance that protects you incase they do find a loop hole. (last time I done my course thats what I was told - 2yrs ago)

As pointed out though, the legalities of offering assistance shouldnt be even entering your mind in/at a car accident, Ive been at a few myself, and its the last thing in your mind, all I could think of was trying to help where I could.

My comment about wrecklessness was a smart comment refering to doing something so boneheaded. (making the injured 'jog off' their injuries )

Last edited by gumby; 15-09-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 15-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

But has anyone actually been sued?

What about failing to provide assistance if trained?

If someone has successfully sued, what happens then if:

Perform CPR on a woman, and then she says you fondled her breasts or something... Religious people having things unknown to you which they don't want touched or seen...
Failing to help a drugie due to the risk of you catching something...

Tags
accident, leaving, scene