Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

Elrico at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
^^ what you could do is go to the local cop shop in that area, say you saw this accident, on this day, and if you are needed for any witness statements, or anything, here's how to contact you... then you can sleep easy at night
There was a guy that stopped and rendered first aid, before i got to park up so i think he;'d of stayed with the guy till paramedics arrived. So he'd of been able to give a statement. Its not about sleeping easy, i cant really sleep as it is without that problem, its just for future refrence i spose.
Old 15-09-2009, 08:32 PM

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveygravey View Post
oh well not ur problem... Lol
thats a real smart thing to say. I hope someone never says that to you when you or someone you love is close to death, and could have rendered first aid, but decided it 'wasn't their problem'
Old 15-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Elrico at standard level

I think Davey was having a dig, well i hope so. If someone doesnt have the human decency to help someone that is in dire need, well, im sure it'll be a case of swings and roundabouts.

There was a thead on rexnet with a guy that stole a harley. Pranged it, got stuck on a star picket through the shoulder i think it was, the bike owner found him, punched him in the face, took his wallet and rode off..........
Old 15-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Flat Four Father

Jezza at standard level

If a person is unconscious or unresponsive, you do not need consent to start first aid - its only when they're conscious etc.

Once a person starts to administer first aid/CPR/EAR etc, they cant stop. This means if you arent physically capable to continue CPR until the ambo's arrive - you are quite open to prosecution!
For example - If you try to save some guy's life but cant keep doing the CPR for the 30min it takes for ambo's to get there, you can get sued.
Not a good thing when you need to stop and think before going to someone's aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrico
There was a thead on rexnet with a guy that stole a harley. Pranged it, got stuck on a star picket through the shoulder i think it was, the bike owner found him, punched him in the face, took his wallet and rode off..........
Thats karma!!
Old 16-09-2009, 06:40 AM
STI Master

daveygravey at standard level

Quote:
thats a real smart thing to say. I hope someone never says that to you when you or someone you love is close to death, and could have rendered first aid, but decided it 'wasn't their problem'

bud, if you read my other post you will see exactly what i think, i totally disagree with that section about ITS NOT YOUR DUTY AND YOU DONT NEED TO HELP...

if someone needs first aid then they should get it asap...
Old 16-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

So no one has any actual proof of people being sued. As thought, its just American hearsay...
Old 16-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Sign me up!

trainwrex at standard level

i agree with jonno.. heresay bullshit... there has not been a precedent in australia nor will there be one..
Old 16-09-2009, 08:55 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

theprotest at standard level

Hi,

Taken from acutefirstaid.com.au

Quote:
“Can I be sued for doing first aid?”

Using the concept of 'reasonableness', there are no documented cases in Australia where any first
aider has been successfully sued after giving emergency first aid. Acting reasonably in a CPR situation means that you would be expected to establish that the person was unconscious, not breathing and had no pulse before commencing CPR.

A reasonable person would not start CPR on someone who had merely fainted or someone that was acting in a first aid course. Furthermore, a reasonable person is not expected to perform miracles. Commonsense and a reasonable degree of skill are all that the law would require under such emergency circumstances. Moreover, a person who needs CPR will be unconscious, will not be breathing and will have no pulse. This person will die if appropriate medical care, including CPR, is not administered. Remember, it is likely that the person will be a spouse or a close relative. In summary, you can not be held legally responsible for death or injury as a result of your intervention provided you act reasonably, carefully and in good faith at all times.

(Source: Queensland Dept of Emergency Services)
Cheers,
Nik
Old 16-09-2009, 09:29 AM
WRX Hi Five Club

haydn_wolf at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel wrx View Post
If a person is unconscious or unresponsive, you do not need consent to start first aid - its only when they're conscious etc.

Once a person starts to administer first aid/CPR/EAR etc, they cant stop. This means if you arent physically capable to continue CPR until the ambo's arrive - you are quite open to prosecution!
For example - If you try to save some guy's life but cant keep doing the CPR for the 30min it takes for ambo's to get there, you can get sued.
Not a good thing when you need to stop and think before going to someone's aid.
I disagree, if you are placed in that situation you should do everything you can to save that person's life. Its called first aid for a reason. If they had called it "first life saving" then I would see where you are coming from. But with CPR you can never tell how long you may need to go for, it could be 3 minutes or 20. In first aid training they often teach you how to work with partners to make it easier.
Old 16-09-2009, 05:30 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

woobla at standard level

Quote:
There is no legal obligation to stop and help if you are not involved in a crash
That is the crux of the argument. Thank you for posting that. Good find, interesting read.

Also shits me how all these Americanisms find there way into the argument. This forum is especially bad.

No legal obligation, but fuck If I saw some poor bastard bleeding out on the road I would certainly help him to the best of my ability. If he tries to sue me later, good fucking luck, plenty of legal protections .

It is like if you see a woman being harassed by a stinking abo on the train I would hope someone would get up and do something. I certainly would.

Last edited by woobla; 16-09-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Tags
accident, leaving, scene