Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   what air con do you have (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/30192-what-air-con-do-you-have.html)

tiddy 20-01-2010 12:04 AM

[QUOTE=norwest_rumbler;424182]just had a new 10kw daikin inverter split system installed 3 hours ago & its not getting cold.

one of the pipes on the outside unit gets freezing cold (as it should) but inside unit is not getting cold at all.

installer said it takes a while to get working but its been hours now.

anyone else had this

cheers[/QUOTE]
Had an lg one in the last house, thesame thing happened, the temp sensor in the indoor control panel was rooted, lg replaced it and it was all good.
problem with ducted is that rats like cool areas in a hot roof so they bite thru the two layers of insulation on your ducting and make them selves at home inside the duct... and eventually die and stink the place out.

[QUOTE=sMY00n;412009]wow whats that cost you to run[/QUOTE]

Old folks are waiting for the next power bill, it should be ok tho, house keeps pretty cool anyway.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:08 AM

this isnt a ducted one, im hoping its normal & going to fix itself.

installer told me they go thru self diagnostics/tests or something, but fuck its taking ages.

tiddy 20-01-2010 12:17 AM

10kw wall mounted split? fcukin hell!!! u should be freezing your ass off!!!!

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:21 AM

yeah thats what they tell me.
its a fairly large room with high ceilings windows etc, but its just an expensive fan at the moment.
f
u
c
k

s
a
k
e

tiddy 20-01-2010 12:27 AM

sure its 10kw?
has it got its own breaker in your switchboard?
i didnt know that splits went up to 10kw.
very expensive fun u got there.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:32 AM

yeah its a fx100 or something & it should be the biggest one they make.

nice unit & external part is huge, just wonder when the fucker will work.

havent had an inverter before & installer said it would take 1/2 an hour or so, still nothing yet.

cheers

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:37 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;424195]has it got its own breaker in your switchboard?
[/QUOTE]
you know what, i dont think it has.
the 2 x2.5hp splits we just took out had one each, but this one doesnt seem to have one at all.

they did run a heavier power cable to the board tho for it & im in no doubt it is the 10kw one, but yeah it should have a breaker i assume.....?

tiddy 20-01-2010 12:41 AM

inverter just means it never turns off, its constantly on so you save power by it not switching compressors on an off all of the time.
would have thought it would be instantly cool, exactly the same setup as a cars aircon.
you got a problem there :( checked if its on auto, cool, heat, de-humidify or fan?

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:45 AM

yeah, tried changng modes but then only back to aircon.

just put it onto heat mode & 30deg c but not heating up yet either.

thing i cant work out is why when it was aircon one of the pipes outside to the compressor unit was freezing cold (as itshould be) but no cold air coming out the awesome fan inside?

what about the breaker, should there be one or not strictly required?
thanks alot

tiddy 20-01-2010 12:51 AM

[QUOTE=norwest_rumbler;424199]you know what, i dont think it has.
the 2 x2.5hp splits we just took out had one each, but this one doesnt seem to have one at all.

they did run a heavier power cable to the board tho for it & im in no doubt it is the 10kw one, but yeah it should have a breaker i assume.....?[/QUOTE]

yeah should definately have its own breaker!
if its 10hp and not 10kw then a 32amp single would be alright.
if you have 3 phase then look for a nice new shiny 3 pole breaker :)
you can run 1kw air cons straight off of the power circuit, but any bigger and it needs its own circuit.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 12:57 AM

definately 10kw & yeah i would have thought it should have its own FUCKING breaker as well, thanks for bringing that up.

although i didnt specifically ask for one so maybe im fucked in that regard....

just tried it on heat, & yeah it got warm air coming outof it - not as much as my 5year old 1hp blueways tho..

just put it back onto aircon/cool & again fuck all really..barely cool, definately not cold.

wtf is going on here?

gas leak?

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:00 AM

dnt think its a gas leak, the pipe oustide has ice on it but inside its fucked...

tiddy 20-01-2010 01:10 AM

ring western power and report who ever installed it dude.
that should definately have its own breaker! if it doesnt then thats a major dodgy!
unless you have a sub mains in your house somewhere? another board anywhere? you should have been given paperwork for the electrical too, "Electrical Installation Certificate".... you should have the blue copy.
It will say what work they have done....
ring western power/office of energy, whatever they call them selves now and confirm.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:12 AM

it was a cashy so im probably fucked.. yes?

no i dont have another board anywhere, & no extra breaker was put in of that im certain.

still no cold or cool air out of it although pipe outside has ice on it

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:23 AM

[QUOTE=tiddy;424208]ring western power and report who ever installed it dude.
that should definately have its own breaker! if it doesnt then thats a major dodgy! .[/QUOTE]

what if it was a cash job? will western power still be interested?

tiddy 20-01-2010 01:23 AM

cash is just the payment.
you have to get that put on a breaker! otherwise you have an unprotected cable running thru your roof, nothing to protect it from overcurrent. run the risk of burning your house down.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:26 AM

yay..
might as well turn the isolator switch off at the aircon tonight then, thanks for the tip.

so will the threat of western power getting involved make the installer sort this out?
i would hope so!
cheers

tiddy 20-01-2010 01:45 AM

oh yeah western power would have a field day :) haha.
i have sent you a couple of minimum figures for breakers/cable size you should have had installed. enjoy.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:52 AM

thanks for your help,

Im going to refrain from naming/shaming & give those involved to chance sort this mess out ASAP ie today.

thanks again.

NVRENUF 20-01-2010 07:25 AM

Mate if they didnt Bleed the air from the lines when they connected them, then every chance you could have a air block in one of them which is stopping the air going up to the head unit.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 07:40 AM

thanks hopefully thats what it is, installer is coming back in a few hours to look at it which is awesome!

but my 1hp units are still working 3 times better than this one so hopefully your right.

Also it is MY mistake about the breaker - they have connected one up but its a 20amp (one from the 2.5hp splits just taken out) & ive been told it should be a 40amp.

so my mistake there, but seems its too small?

thanks

edit: apparently 20 is ok for these daikins.

nang3 20-01-2010 09:21 AM

we have ducted evap in our place, but it was shite so ended up putting a 4hp split in the TV room, 2hp split in the theatre room and 1.5hp in the bedroom.. on really hot days with them all cranked they cool the entire house spare rooms, back bathroom etc so all up much better than the evap setup.. all up cost about $3.5k installed thanks to mates rates at harveys and the sparkie

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 09:25 AM

yeah rc wall splits are a great compromise.

this big daikin is sooo quite, im impressed :)

JDM_STYLE 20-01-2010 01:33 PM

^^^So did you get it sorted and what was the problem?

IMPRESHER 20-01-2010 01:42 PM

From my understanding the unit was blocked so it got fixed and regased and it's icy cold now.

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 01:56 PM

yep they came straight around this morning, vacc'd it out & gassed it up again.

huge improvement now over last night, actually feels like aircon.

But, i wouldnt describe it as icey cold, certainly not as freezing cold as the 5year old elcheapo 1hp units in the bedrooms.

when i asked about this i was told it was due to the new gas they have to use now, apparently its not as good as the shit used 5years ago.

electrical engineer at work tells me if the pipe from the compressor gets covered in ice (as it was last night, that means gas amount is not right- not blaming installer as air locks can happen)

regarding the breaker, it was wired in ok & 20amp is fine im being told, but the breaker should have been labled to remove any confusion.

now im not going to make anything of this because they all worked hard into the night to get it all done for me (was actually booked to be done last saturday, but the daikin unit was locked up in a wharehouse that normally is open saturdays, so it didnt happen on that day)

so i will see how it goes tonight after its run properly for a few hours (instead of 1/2hr this morning), but like i said the old shitters get freezing cold straight away, but that is due to the gas type i believe.

cheers

American Dave 20-01-2010 02:23 PM

happy endings then :D

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 02:29 PM

haha, yep!
will see what its really like this arvo.

normally 24/25deg is cold enough for me, its not like i want the room like a fridge lol.

cheers

American Dave 20-01-2010 02:33 PM

we used our new one for the first time yesterday and found it was bloody cold even running it at 24 C ?

norwest_rumbler 20-01-2010 02:34 PM

yep thats how my old ones are.

pete gopal 20-01-2010 02:37 PM

[QUOTE=MonsterMashie;409574]

If its just you and your misses in bed at night or watching a movie then you will be running a big 12kw unit to cool just the one room you are in. if you have the wife and 2.5 kids then it would probably be the way to go.

[/QUOTE]

not entirely true mate, set up a second temperature sensor for your "night zone" and if your aircon is an "inverter" type it won't use full power to cool down just one room.

The way "inverter" type of aircons work is, the setpoint being the preset temperature that you require (lets say 24C) is enetered, then they read the actual temperature in your house (lets say 27C) it then assigns approx power required to cool down your house to the required temperature. Obviously the higher the difference between the setpoint (SP) and the actual temperature (Process Variable or PV) the more power it will require.

For those in the engineering field it's just a simple PID controller.

I've tested this with a tounge tester by measuring the current (amps) used by my 14kw aircon in two different scenarios:

1. I did not switch the aircon on until the temp in the house became very high (29C), the aircon then worked most of the afternoon at almost 100% to catch up with the setpoint (24C)

2. I switched the aircon at 9am when the temperature in the house was still 24.5-25 and the aircon ran at something like 30%-60% throughout the day.

Switching it earlier on makes sense to me. A

Also inverted, since it provides an analog output (0-100%) will slow it down the closer it gets to the setpoint and then it will try maintaining it. By using a second (night zone) sensor you'll get accurate reading for your bedroom without having to cool down the whole house (make sure you keep the bedroom's door closed)