Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Subaru Tech Division

pete gopal at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterMashie View Post

If its just you and your misses in bed at night or watching a movie then you will be running a big 12kw unit to cool just the one room you are in. if you have the wife and 2.5 kids then it would probably be the way to go.

not entirely true mate, set up a second temperature sensor for your "night zone" and if your aircon is an "inverter" type it won't use full power to cool down just one room.

The way "inverter" type of aircons work is, the setpoint being the preset temperature that you require (lets say 24C) is enetered, then they read the actual temperature in your house (lets say 27C) it then assigns approx power required to cool down your house to the required temperature. Obviously the higher the difference between the setpoint (SP) and the actual temperature (Process Variable or PV) the more power it will require.

For those in the engineering field it's just a simple PID controller.

I've tested this with a tounge tester by measuring the current (amps) used by my 14kw aircon in two different scenarios:

1. I did not switch the aircon on until the temp in the house became very high (29C), the aircon then worked most of the afternoon at almost 100% to catch up with the setpoint (24C)

2. I switched the aircon at 9am when the temperature in the house was still 24.5-25 and the aircon ran at something like 30%-60% throughout the day.

Switching it earlier on makes sense to me. A

Also inverted, since it provides an analog output (0-100%) will slow it down the closer it gets to the setpoint and then it will try maintaining it. By using a second (night zone) sensor you'll get accurate reading for your bedroom without having to cool down the whole house (make sure you keep the bedroom's door closed)

New toy has arrived, 1/4 mile in 11.2 sec and only 114hp!

Tags
air, con