Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Customs Fees (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/30798-customs-fees.html)

Mike 13-12-2009 04:19 PM

Customs Fees

Hey guys,

I'm bringing in a few things from America and I was just wondering what the go is with Customs and any fees. The most expensive thing is around $1300.

Are all the customs fees included in the postage costs or will I have to pay extra once they land in Australia?

I'm new to all of this and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. :D Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Mike

jezzamcbezza 13-12-2009 04:30 PM

Any imports (same package, same supplier) over $1000AUD will attract customs duties + broker/processing fee ($49ish) + 10% GST on top of the lot.

Bunch of blood sucking leaches apparently some people say

Mike 13-12-2009 04:33 PM

Well that won't be too bad. If I order everything separately only one package will exceed $1000AUD. But there will be a few packages from the one supplier. I take it that's no big deal?

apg39 13-12-2009 04:41 PM

They might think it's drugs and you'll end up on border security Mike.

I don't imagine it would be that big of a deal, but one individual package + fees may be cheaper than postage on a few individual things.

Mike 13-12-2009 04:50 PM

If they do think it's drugs and interrogate me, you can be my boss ;)

Yeah I need to work all that out, but I think two individual packages will be cheaper.

nicecar 13-12-2009 04:52 PM

Ask supplier to put $1000 for everything? A few companies for states have done it for me in past...including a set of rims. Otherwise do seperate postage, get supplier to put $1000 on the invoice for the $1300 thing, fees > postage costs.

I went through customs etc once, was a piece of shit.

Mike 13-12-2009 05:52 PM

What makes dealing with customs a pain? I know it will delay the delivery, but I can't see how it could cause any dramas.

Luigi 13-12-2009 08:05 PM

[url]http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5653.asp[/url]

Above website may shed some light on Import and fee charged and how to pay these fees.

BLUES 13-12-2009 10:08 PM

I just imported a set of coilovers from the US which exceeded $1000USD - I was charged 10% import duty and 10% GST.

Fortunately the seller agreed to understate the value of the goods, so I paid much less (but still a reasonable amount), but I had factored this into my calculations at the begininning.

Goods were shipped using TNT - once they landed in Oz, they called me & sent an invoice for the import duties, etc - I paid via phone and the goods were released the same day. No issues or problems.

Kato 14-12-2009 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=BLUES;415779]I just imported a set of coilovers from the US which exceeded $1000USD - I was charged 10% import duty and 10% GST.

Fortunately the seller agreed to understate the value of the goods, so I paid much less (but still a reasonable amount), but I had factored this into my calculations at the begininning.

Goods were shipped using TNT - once they landed in Oz, they called me & sent an invoice for the import duties, etc - I paid via phone and the goods were released the same day. No issues or problems.[/QUOTE]

As Fred said...

Car parts will attract 10% duty, then 10% GST on top + any importer fees (depends on who you use).

So goods worth AUD $1000 will actually cost:
$1000 - Goods
$100 - Duty
$1100 - Subtotal
$110 - GST
$1210 - Total

+ Importer fees

So sometimes something that seems 'cheap' over seas, isn't.

Also note that packages arriving at the same time or from the same supplier can be added together by customs. So say for instance you got 4 wheels delivered individually at $500 each from a supplier, customs will see this as one package and charge you the GST and duty on the total.