Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   V8SC - Ford/Holden duopoly to end in 2012 (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/32822-v8sc-ford-holden-duopoly-end-2012-a.html)

jEstEr? 10-03-2010 01:53 AM

V8SC - Ford/Holden duopoly to end in 2012

Germany's Mercedes-Benz and BMW could be racing bumper-to-bumper with Ford and Holden in Australia's domestic V8 Supercar championship as soon as 2012.

Pitlane and industry sources both here and in Europe have confirmed that Mercedes' performance arm, AMG, is seriously looking at entering the championship. An announcement could come as soon as the Melbourne Grand Prix at the end of this month.

Mercedes has added to the speculation by confirming it will display a V8 AMG customer ride car at the Grand Prix.

BMW's potential involvement is also an open secret in pitlane, although its investigation is not thought to be as advanced. Company spokesman Toni Andreevski was flat in his denial: "BMW has no interest in the V8 Supercars franchise," he said.

The V8 Supercar championship, which has built its success on tribal rivalry between Ford and Holden since 1994, is looking to move away from its blue-collar roots with more overseas racing and more upmarket manufacturers.

The trigger for Benz and BMW's potential interest in the championship is an overhaul of the technical regulations for Australia's premier motorsport category.

The new rules, which now allow more sophisticated V8 engines, have been drafted to broaden the sponsorship net for the series to compensate for Ford and Holden's dwindling financial support for the sport. The recent slump in sales of the Ford Falcon and Holden Commodore has seen the two makers pull back from multi-million dollar sponsorship deals.

---

whole article here

[url]http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/germans-to-join-v8-supercars-20100309-pvdm.html[/url]

stefan 10-03-2010 05:59 AM

I think it may add some more friendly competition. I don't think it's a bad thing. I'm personally getting over the whole ford Holden thing now

Hurtenstein 10-03-2010 06:28 AM

If it happens, they'll win, and then they'll be banned.

Saint_23 10-03-2010 07:43 AM

I would love to see this happen. About time there was some other manufacturers involved.

axle 10-03-2010 07:57 AM

As they said in the article with sales of Falcons and Commodores in decline they have to do something. They need to protect themselves from the possibility of Ford Aust shutting up shop in 2015. It's fast becoming a one make series.

fobz 10-03-2010 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein;437521]If it happens, they'll win, and then they'll be banned.[/QUOTE]

x2
:D

Papa Het 10-03-2010 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=axle;437524]As they said in the article with sales of Falcons and Commodores in decline they have to do something. They need to protect themselves from the possibility of Ford Aust shutting up shop in 2015. It's fast becoming a one make series.[/QUOTE]

It always was a one make series. Underneath the cars there is not much difference between the 2, the body panels they stick on the outside are largely irrelevent.

I wish they would turn it back in to a proper touring car series open to any production car built in the last 3 years. There would be everything from Corrollas through to the V8 supercars with drivers coming from all over the world. It would also encourage more privateers in to the sport.

urabus 10-03-2010 08:21 AM

At least if it is AMG or BMW it will be reliable.

Brendon

trainwrex 10-03-2010 08:23 AM

[QUOTE=Hurtenstein;437521]If it happens, they'll win, and then they'll be banned.[/QUOTE]

Yup.. just like they did with the GTRs and sierras

chronic_2k 10-03-2010 08:26 AM

Quoted for mother f**king truth.

axle 10-03-2010 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=trainwrex;437536]Yup.. just like they did with the GTRs and sierras[/QUOTE]

wont happen I don't think. That was in the days of touring cars that were homoligated as racing specials. They are deliberately changng the rules to attract AMG etc. Different situation.

They are more likely to make the high tech cars run more weight.

Kato 10-03-2010 09:49 AM

This probably has more to do with 'large family cars' not being as saleable in the next few years.

If Holden/Ford go ahead with any of their FWD platforms, bam V8 Supercars are dead.

From the franchises point of view they need to have other brands on board ASAP.

axle 10-03-2010 10:24 AM

New AMG V8SC engine.........probably not

[URL]http://www.caradvice.com.au/60300/mercedes-benz-amg-unveils-new-5-5-litre-twin-turbo-v8/[/URL]

Mercedes-Benz AMG has officially unveiled its new 5.5-litre twin-turbo V8 engine in a move that essentially spells the end for large displacement engines at the German tuning division.

The engine, a key part of Mercedes-Benz’ “AMG Performance 2015″ strategy, will feature in most of AMG’s lineup from early next year, making its debut in the 2011 Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG.
In S63 AMG specification the new engine will deliver 419kW of power and 899Nm of torque, while at the same time offering an impressive combined cycle fuel economy figures of just 10.5L/100km and a 0-100km/h time of 4.3 seconds. The top speed of the new S63 AMG is 300km/h when equipped with the AMG Performance package.

The new 5.5-litre V8 features a number of firsts for the AMG including direct-injection, spray-guided combustion, piezo-electric injectors and automatic start/stop technology. The engine is mated exclusively to a seven-speed automatic transmission.

EXPLICIT 10-03-2010 10:39 AM

This would be a welcome step in the right direction, lets hope it pans out nicely!

American Dave 10-03-2010 10:48 AM

I can just imagine the first V8 Supercar race with BMW and Merc cars entered...the look on the faces of the Ford and Holden fans would be priceless.

evlgurl 10-03-2010 11:39 AM

[QUOTE=American Dave;437575]I can just imagine the first V8 Supercar race with BMW and Merc cars entered...the look on the faces of the Ford and Holden fans would be priceless.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha, agreed. The abuse coming from the crowd will be crazy.

Although, I think this will be great. Imagine the interest the V8 Supercar race will get from Europe. With PINK now being in on it as well, it looks like series is trying to attract the world.
Plus it will make it a lot more interesting to watch instead of having only 2 franchises in the race.

American Dave 10-03-2010 11:45 AM

Well considering they are already taking the V8SC to Dubai and Abu Daubi I would suggest that there reasoning for this has alot to do with their focus of making it more than just an Australian competition.

Sethor 10-03-2010 12:52 PM

Ok if BMW & Mercedes enter the competition (IMO a big if) we might be back to two make championship if Holden and Ford pull out. What do they plan to race with when Ford's E8 & GM's Zeta current RWD platform's are not replaced (or replaced with a FWD platform)?

I simply don't see BMW & Mercedes entering the V8 Supercars in this current economic climate. V8 supercar participation will add little or nothing the brands image & sales within Australia. BMW's M & Mercedes AMG divisions already have great motorsport reputations from F1 participation. So I fail to see the attraction for them to join the series, I doubt a few rules changes would do it.

stefan 10-03-2010 01:29 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave;437600]Well considering they are already taking the V8SC to Dubai and Abu Daubi I would suggest that there reasoning for this has alot to do with their focus of making it more than just an Australian competition.[/QUOTE]

yeh agree with this. i didnt understand why they needed to go to Dubai and Abu Daubi but this makes a lil more sence. maybe a peeping competitor to the British Touring Car Series in the next few years?

axle 10-03-2010 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=stefan;437628]maybe a peeping competitor to the British Touring Car Series in the next few years?[/QUOTE]

888 was at the top of the list till they moved to Holden. Could still be a chance. Lets not forget Prodrive (FPR) as well.

These 2 teams have faved the way for other Euro teams to follow.

urabus 10-03-2010 01:58 PM

AMG / BMW will struggle to get local mechanics. They wont know how dual overhead cams work....."where do I put these pushrod things?"

The cars bare little or no relevance to a road car anyways. The falcon has 100mm chopped out just behind the rear door so that the centre of gravity is same same as the commodore.

If holden / ford stop making the FWD platform we will more than likely just end up with a nascar (or similar)chassis. And remember "there aint nothing stock about a stock car". Agreed they have a proper tube chassis but they are heaps cheaper to build / buy than a new V8SC, they have achieved great parity and there is little or no relevance between a road car and a v8sc nowadays anyway.

If they effectively homologate a chassis then everyone can play. i.e. hyundai etc as the development costs are greatly reduced.

Brendon

Trexx 10-03-2010 02:07 PM

The corporate boxes at V8SC's will be much more expensive as the suits wont want to stand with Trev to watch BMW's and Mercs race :)

If BMW and Merc enter it'll still be a 2 car series, there'll just be some Holdens and Fords to make up the rear end of the field.

AIG 10-03-2010 06:50 PM

They're most likely going to a control chassis so it wont matter which car company uses it. Like NASCAR but with opening doors, boot, working headlights etc etc so it looks more like a traditional touring car. Basically like a Sports Sedan, Trans Am or DTM car.

jEstEr? 10-03-2010 09:47 PM

899nm of torque!

axle 10-03-2010 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=jEstEr?;437736]899nm of torque![/QUOTE]

Yeah you wonder why they didn't squeeze out the extra 1 torque hey.

stefan 10-03-2010 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=axle;437630]888 was at the top of the list till they moved to Holden. Could still be a chance. Lets not forget Prodrive (FPR) as well.

These 2 teams have faved the way for other Euro teams to follow.[/QUOTE]

i reckon it would be good. not only for the sport, but for the manufacturers also. driver styles will be of wider variety so should see some interesting battles for positions. im actually looking forward to it now! really hope this happens lol

axle 10-03-2010 11:23 PM

Mercedes-Benz plans to join V8 Supercars series

By Simon Canning
March 10, 2010

Mercedes-Benz is poised to split the grid between Ford and Holden, with plans to join the V8 Supercars series under serious consideration as the sport prepares to open itself up to other manufacturers.

Fifteen years after the sport was closed to all bar the two major Australian manufacturers and their V8 staples, the Commodore and the Falcon, V8 Supercars Australia is expected to open the door again with the unveiling of their Car of the Future template.

The template will relax rules governing components such as engines and suspension - while continuing to run it as a series exclusively for V8s.

Hyundai, Toyota and BMW have also been suggested as new entrants.

Motorsport magazine V8X revealed on Tuesday that Mercedes was expected to become the first non-Ford or Holden manufacturer to compete in the sport since 1995, either through its AMG brand or a private entry.

And the new entry to the sport could come with five-time V8 Supercars champion and Bathurst winner Mark Skaife at the wheel.

The V8 series has been the fastest growing sport in Australia in recent years and now boasts two rounds in the Middle East as well as being broadcast into more than 30 countries.

Mercedes would not deny a move into the V8 series was on the cards.

"Mercedes-Benz Australia Pacific is not allowed to go motor racing and it is not something we are looking to do," spokesman David McCarthy said.

"However, some of our AMG customers and dealers are looking at it very closely and I'm not sure how that is going to develop."

Australia is the fifth-largest market in the world for AMG, which sells performance-tuned MB cars.

The names of Skaife and Triple Eight principal Roland Dane have been closely linked to possible deals to get an AMG Mercedes on to the V8 grid next year.

Skaife has been at the helm of plans to allow new manufacturers into the sport.

He will be a co-driver for Dane's Vodafone Holden team at the V8 Supercars race at Bathurst this year. Skaife declined to comment on Mercedes' entry into the sport other than to say he had been in contact with a range of car manufacturers as part of the Car of the Future project.

At the same time, Vodafone has been a long-term sponsor of the McLaren/Mercedes Formula One team while Mercedes renewed their interest in the sport this year by taking control of of the world championship-winning Brawn F1 team.

It is understood an AMG Mercedes race car will take to the track at the Australian F1 Grand Prix in Melbourne in two weeks in a demonstration event, with former world MotoGP champion Mick Doohan at the wheel.

Source : [url]http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,26829348-5018894,00.html[/url]

Imagine all the Trevs when they see good ol' skaifey driving a Merc........

Kato 11-03-2010 09:48 AM

Wonder if the Mercs will be auto :D

ACE 11-03-2010 01:34 PM

[QUOTE=axle;437763]
Imagine all the Trevs when they see good ol' skaifey driving a Merc........[/QUOTE]

Trevs have short memories.

When going on an all too familiar 'rice burner jap crap' rant (while taking a break from bashing the missus of course) they all seem to forget that the reason V8 Supercar became a 2 horse race was because holden and ford were tired of having their asses handed to them by GTR Skylines driven by the likes of Jim Richards and Mark Skaife. Skaifey won Bathhurst in 91 and 92.

When Richards won Bathurst in a Skyline in the early 90's he was booed by the crowd when on the podium. He called the a 'pack of arseholes'.

axle 29-03-2010 07:52 AM

Today's the day they are ment to be making the announcement on the rule changes. Anyone know when?

DAN682 29-03-2010 10:06 AM

I was just thinking this yesterday when watching those heaps of shit go around Albert Park. Even the missus said, where is the Ford Sierra and Skyline. I advised her that she is about 20 years behind touring cars in Australia.

I hope it happens. So fuckn boring watching the same cars go around a track

axle 29-03-2010 10:13 AM

To answer my own question. Details have been released.
[url]http://v8supercars.com.au/car-of-the-future-released/tabid/70/newsid/9848/default.aspx[/url]

"With the release of Car of the Future today (Monday), the future of V8 Supercars has been secured while the door has been left open for more manufacturers to join the category.

The CoF will consist of a control floor plan and roll cage with minor variation to accommodate various bodywork. It will be easier to produce and come in a flat pack kit form.

As V8SA has stated numerous times in the past, powerplants must be normally aspirated V8 configurations.

V8SA is currently finalising the details of an Engine Equalisation Program for any variant from manufacturers that could co-exist with the current V8 Ford and Holden engines."

What I find funny is they have said int he past they weren't going to create a "shell only" car like NASCAR where the6y have a body shell on a tubular chassis. So now they have a common floor plan / rollcage with a body on top. Such a difference.

EXPLICIT 29-03-2010 10:58 AM

Given the experience the german manufacturers have witht he dtm series which is loosely the same concept, it could be quite an interesting event.

DEDLYWEPN 29-03-2010 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=axle;443056]It will be easier to produce and come in a flat pack kit form.
[/QUOTE]

IKEA-Spec Touring Cars!!

GX-REX 29-03-2010 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=DEDLYWEPN;443066]IKEA-Spec Touring Cars!![/QUOTE]

Sounds like alot of allen keys....

axle 29-03-2010 11:33 AM

was wondering if anyone would pick up on that.

Not the biggest selling point of the series, but necessary I guess if they want people to develop cars off shore.

Smokey 29-03-2010 01:52 PM

Buy a sofa, get a free commodore.

GTB Liberty 29-03-2010 02:04 PM

[IMG]http://www.aplacetochat.com/gallery/funny-images-a2/ikea-car-i69.jpg[/IMG]

Bob 29-03-2010 02:35 PM

What they need is a bit more carnage on the track. Something to suggest they are actually trying. Seems to me they just go through the motions of turning up for a race these days. It's a bit sterile. F1 is suffering the same fate although Webber showed a bit of determination this weekend.

trblmkr 29-03-2010 04:29 PM

Toyota offered a few years ago but got told they could only enter if they built a RWD that ran a ford or chev 5litre V8.
Obviously they were not overly keen.

I would love to see different manufactures enter different platforms of all shapes and sizes. AWD, FWD, RWD, turbo, supercharged and NA.

A real Group A series like the good old days.

Take what I can get I suppose.:p