Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI 117 View Post
hey mate sorry to hear about your car, i always use ' Vulcan pannel and Paint' in Canningvale, only a small shop but they always do an excellent job, been there many times, owner there is Sam, top bloke ph 9456 3311
Thanks for that mate, will give them a ring, and as for PSI i'll look around for a 2nd hand door panel too. Yeah i know it pisses me off too, but what can i do once again money i don't have to spend! . Hopefully karma comes back to them

Thanks all who replied.

Adrian
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

i rekon mario @ ding king would get most of that out for 100 or so & he can reccomend a mobile paint guy or at least give you some straight up advice.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwest_rumbler View Post
i rekon mario @ ding king would get most of that out for 100 or so & he can reccomend a mobile paint guy or at least give you some straight up advice.
It looks abit big though? worth a shot though i guess
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
STI Master

norwest_rumbler at standard level

size doesnt really matter, access to the back of dent would be very good which is the main thing.
the worst part looks to be the crease at the top but mario got one out of one of my cars that was quite similar.

anyway, just thought i would mention it.
cheers
Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

With a colour like that going to the wreckers and using a match is going to piss you off even more as its going to look hideous! also being an FTO you're going to pay a crap tonne more then the repair costs due to all the unnecessary parts you'll be buying 'recommend this to a soarer owner and watch them shit bricks'.

If you're comfortable with your handy man skills the way to repair that would be with a flat pain hammer and dolly (a solid metal block that's roughly the same shape as the door), though not having worked on an FTO before I don't know if the intrusion bar is going to cause you grief (you may have to release the glue between the intrusion bar and the door skin, or the intrusion bar may be positioned in such a way so you'll need to use a lever instead of a dolly).

If you simply just punch it out it'll cost more to fix as you'll just be stretching the metal, as can be seen around the outer edges of the dent are what's called 'high spots', with the rest of the dent being a 'low spot(s)', so in order to bring the low spots up one must 'with the right force applied', tap down the high spots 'slowly working your way around and watching what happens to the low spots as you're doing this', in order to bring the panel back as close as possible to its original shape.

I doubt you'll be able to bring that back without having to fill it or crack the paint 'mainly due to the crease at the top'.

Another thing to consider before tackling this job without the right skills is stretching the metal. As can be seen with almost all cars of today, when applying even the smallest amount of pressure to a panel it flexes, so if you don't hit the high spots in the right place, all you'll be doing is stretching the metal even more (eventually turning the panel into a Rolf Harris Wobble Board), which is just going to cost more to fix due to the additional time needed to shrink the metal back.

If you require a good honest panel beater that does top grade work shoot me a pm as my father has a small two man operation panel shop in Maylands and 'current workload prohibiting', may be able to fit you in.

Cheers.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

Jess84 at standard level

hey i know how u feel....my car (06 Mazda 3 SP23) was tagged by some idiot while my car was parked at the station while i was at work....(had to put in a police report but they say they prob wont find the culprit)....my first car was a 2 door corolla (imported from japan from previous owner) and some dude in a 4wd hit it while parking into the bay next to me and just drove off...thst is only to name 2 out of the 4 or so things that have happened to my car that other ppl have done and i have to pay for
so sick of paying to fix my car when it not my fault
Old 12-04-2010, 09:24 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

blurex at standard level

Parking at Burswood.. never a good idea...shit i've seen people doing to other people's cars..
Old 12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Silent at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurex View Post
Parking at Burswood.. never a good idea...shit i've seen people doing to other people's cars..
Yeah mate i' think 'll stop parking there, once is bad luck, 2 is a bad omen there hahhaa
Old 12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

blurex at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent View Post
Yeah mate i' think 'll stop parking there, once is bad luck, 2 is a bad omen there hahhaa
Yea, I would rather wait in the long taxi queues...not too long ago, just as i lock my car i see a bunch of guys walk past a BMW, stop look at it and out of the blue start vandilizing it, breaking widows, jumping on top of the car ect,..then they just stopped and walked away, looking really happy with themselves, I got in my car and dropped it at a friends hse in vic park, took a taxi back...

Northbridge is another hotspot as well.....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

sheldon harris is unrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by STI 117 View Post
hey mate sorry to hear about your car, i always use ' Vulcan pannel and Paint' in Canningvale, only a small shop but they always do an excellent job, been there many times, owner there is Sam, top bloke ph 9456 3311
yea they are good,i live next door to the owners brother who works for sam.good guy good deals

Tags
alot, arhhh, fuckheads, walking