Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Policy on U-Turns at Intersection traffic Lights (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/33551-policy-u-turns-intersection-traffic-lights.html)

Hurtenstein 11-04-2010 06:57 PM

Theres one in Cannington too. Albany hwy heading into the city. Near Alberts.

chee 11-04-2010 07:34 PM

she got lucky. i got pinged 2 points.

i dont understand why its dangerous either, safer than the woman i saw slow down, then turn right onto a grass island / median strip and then over to the other side of the road...

Makoto 11-04-2010 09:13 PM

unfortunately is illegal unless there is a sign....one of my mate got pinged too...dont know about the demerits though..

elemist 11-04-2010 09:57 PM

there's some on South st too. Agreed with it being a pain, especially on Albany Highway where you can't cross traffic anywhere.. Was shopping there the other weekend and it was a right pain to get to the other side.

dtrally 11-04-2010 10:06 PM

So has anyone got any theories as to why it's not allowed here? Is it really that dangerous in WA and not anywhere else in Aus?

jEstEr? 11-04-2010 10:42 PM

the way i remember the rule is no u-turns permitted at a controlled intersection, that is, an intersection with traffic lights or a stop sign. Giveway is all good!

Smokey 11-04-2010 11:26 PM

Its likely to have something to do with not all intersections being equal. There are sets where traffic will have a green light to merge into the lanes where you are trying to u-turn in to. eg. At a T-intersection, you could get a green right arrow, and the traffic turning right out of the road you are turning into has a red right arrow, but may have a green left arrow. If you did a u-turn you would be turning into traffic you have no visibility of.

Too many intersection configurations for the masses to remember whats safe. Result = blanket ban and a few permitted signs where necessary. Too expensive to put them everywhere! The masses have enough trouble with remembering how to use roundabouts. Dont want to hurt their brains!

NVRENUF 12-04-2010 07:01 AM

It may not be dangerous when 1 person is doing it,
but if it was legal then everyone would be doing it and then all of a sudden
Instead of a right arrow having a smooth flow of people half of them are doing
a u-turn and it just messes up the whole flow.

Not only that often when you have a right arrow the right hand side of you there is a green light for people turning left, if you do a u-turn you are then conflicting with those peoples path, in where it can be dangerous.

methd 12-04-2010 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=RichX;446083]Yep illegal, and dangerous.[/QUOTE]

it's actually legal (unless signed otherwise) to do a u turn in victoria, so i highly doubt it's dangerous.. just a different set of rules.

tuna 12-04-2010 07:38 AM

like hook turns!