Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Car engine oil into lawn mower? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/34125-car-engine-oil-into-lawn-mower.html)

Makoto 06-05-2010 09:49 PM

Car engine oil into lawn mower?

Hi all,

May be a silly question, but i'm wondering if is any safe putting normal engine oil into 4 cycle briggs and stratton lawn mower engine. I do realise that manufacturer recommends lawn mower engine oil, and I've always wonder and i believe since lawn mower has got a similar mechanism to a normal engine, i dont see a reason why not.....I've got a motul and also castrol magnetic left over, and pretty keen to put into the lawn mower.....

Please advise if this is any good....your input is much appreciated....

Thanking you in advance.

Dragon_wrx 06-05-2010 09:59 PM

the lawn mower oil is red maybe thicker or thinner

mattmy99 06-05-2010 10:09 PM

Air cooled 4-stroke motors use the oil for cooling as well as lubricating. I'd stick to using SAE 30 lawnmower oil mate.

munya 06-05-2010 10:16 PM

Re: Car engine oil into lawn mower?

[QUOTE="mattmy99"]Air cooled 4-stroke motors use the oil for cooling as well as lubricating. I'd stick to using SAE 30 lawnmower oil mate.[/QUOTE]
That's what I thought too haven't tried normal oil in them befor

WhiteRX 06-05-2010 10:17 PM

same same. I run 5w30 full synthetic (castrol edge sport) as recommended for mine, but a straight sae 30 is also fine especially in hot weather. Mine is a 30 odd year old b&s 3hp motor

B4GT 07-05-2010 04:19 AM

always used car motor oil in our mower is about 25 years old now and never missed a beat

Makoto 07-05-2010 06:33 AM

[QUOTE=B4GT;452382]always used car motor oil in our mower is about 25 years old now and never missed a beat[/QUOTE]

Which oil on particular or have you been using all the time?

And is yours the standard 4 cycles as well?

grumpyrex 07-05-2010 06:53 AM

[QUOTE=WhiteRX;452370]same same. I run 5w30 full synthetic (castrol edge sport) as recommended for mine, but a straight sae 30 is also fine especially in hot weather. Mine is a 30 odd year old b&s 3hp motor[/QUOTE]
I've been running Mobil 1 in my B&S for about 15yrs with no problems. Like anything, just make sure you change it regulary.

urabus 07-05-2010 10:40 AM

They dont call them Bang and Stop for nothing! They are ok in the domestic environment but epic fail if you use it more than once a week.

Definately use normal engine oil. We run plenty of mowers and they all get normal oil. We also run them on two stroke fuel. Got that pissed off with the muppets filling up two stroke line / hedge trimmers with unleaded figured this would be ok. We have been doing it for about 5 years and there is no noticeable difference to the amount of smoke they put out and the engines seem to love it.

Brendon

Makoto 07-05-2010 10:43 AM

thanks dude.........and just realised that i've got only sae40 for both motul and castrol oil....damn..