Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   New house, render problem (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/34920-new-house-render-problem.html)

perthzed 10-06-2010 12:57 PM

New house, render problem

Hi, just in the final stages of having our house built & we have an issue with the render. It seems they have used some type of acrylic render that just gets painted onto the bricks so not like cement render which is cemented & then painted. The problem being is it's very patchy. The supervisor is insisiting that this is the nature of using acrylic render & that we accepted & signed off on using this type. Which we did do, but I know fuck all about render. I just assumed it would be the cement type which looks much smoother and cleaner. This render looks really patchy and irregular. I guess if you were a salesmen you'd call it rustic or tuscan.. :cool: Anyway not sure where I stand. I signed off on it, but I thought render was render i.e painted cement? Can I make the building company redo it? Or are you supposed to specify what type of render you want.

It looks worse that the picture show, especially when it's not sunny.

[IMG]http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g267/jaimie072/P1000788.jpg[/IMG]

NVRENUF 10-06-2010 01:04 PM

Never new this stuff was around, Is it Cheaper that normal Render ?
Was it an option when you built ?

looks ok in the photo.

Have you signed off on final inspection, you could always get in a separate building inspection and see what they say though that will cost about $400 to $500 id say.

Pimpreza 10-06-2010 01:27 PM

Probably not much you can do now, it looks like the type of render that's got a sort of aerated surface and the shinier/light patches are where it's smoother, most renders these days are stained cement and not painted like the old days where everything was grey.

urabus 10-06-2010 01:39 PM

It is probably a product called texture coat. I think dulux's brand is called acra tex. Basically you buy it already tinted and then apply it at a thin layer. Assuming you can get the colour you want it is better than rendering and then painting.

The weird thing is that it is tinted in the factory (not by some pimply faced 12 year old at bunnings) so it should not be patchy at all.

Brendon

trainwrex 10-06-2010 01:46 PM

Looks fine to me...

Acra tex or full cover texture are essentially the same thing. Just one is a tradesman brand of dulux.

The good thing about it is the colour is in the render so that you dont need to paint and teh colour lasts much longer compared to a painted surface.

If your not happy with the render effect then you can alsways just but an exterior waterbased like weathershield over the top of it and you will get a more even cover..

Doing this you will loose some of the texture however this is the same when painting over render..

EXPLICIT 10-06-2010 01:47 PM

No it should not be patchy. Faulty application.

Ask for other sites that have had it applied. If they are all like that then sure, that is the nature of the product, but i've never come across a rendered/painted finish that was purposely patchy.

RUSSGT 10-06-2010 01:58 PM

OT alert.

If you need someone for work that does Rendering call Jordan on 0449 137 258.

Kato 10-06-2010 02:06 PM

If its patchy, I'm guessing it hasn't been applied correctly.

i.e. Just slap 1 coat of paint on a wall, sure it's painted, but looks patchy with the old colour showing through.

perthzed 10-06-2010 02:40 PM

[QUOTE=Pimpreza;461493] it looks like the type of render that's got a sort of aerated surface and the shinier/light patches are where it's smoother,[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think thats whats causing the patchiness.

easytiger 10-06-2010 04:00 PM

paint over it?