Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2010, 11:16 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

catcha at standard level
Default Moving to Perth another Darwin person

Hi all,

Just like to say hello i'm another person from Darwin moving to Perth at the end of the month.

while I did have a WRX MY99 back then I sold it so I could get married but anyway cut a long story short i'll be looking to get back into it once I settle in Perth.

Now I have read a few threads on Suburbs and everyone says NOR. I'm currently going to be staying at Yokine with a mate. But eventually might have to move out as its only temporary.

Question is Yokine and Morley good suburbs ? prices seem ok. I was considering perth city but can't justify it and at that price of $400.

Mount lawley is suppose to be some great suburb that prices are high and so is Subiaco. to high for me

I get mixed reviews with Northbridge, while people say stay away from it after 12am and avoid seedy areas. But then it has all the best food resturants located in that area. So is it worthwhile renting something there without the fear of getting mugged or bashed ?

And those free CAT buses that run around the city, in peak hour are they like chock a block jammed like a sardine in the morning ?

I will be working at the QV1 building, so i'm still tossing weather to go city or outer suburb.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:32 AM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

NOR for the win and Yokine Massive for the double win as long as you dont live next Balistic, good luck with the move and picking up a new wrx. CAT buses are good value and seldom over crowded. You will pay a premium to live in Mt Lawley or Northbridge but it means you are very close to town and QVI. I reckon living in Darwin would be more dangerous than Northbridge so relaz.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:59 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

ACE at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcha View Post
I get mixed reviews with Northbridge, while people say stay away from it after 12am and avoid seedy areas. But then it has all the best food resturants located in that area. So is it worthwhile renting something there without the fear of getting mugged or bashed ?

And those free CAT buses that run around the city, in peak hour are they like chock a block jammed like a sardine in the morning ?

I will be working at the QV1 building, so i'm still tossing weather to go city or outer suburb.
Don't believe everything you read about Northbridge mate. I live and work in the city CBD, and I spend a heap of my time in and around Northbridge, be it for the shopping, resaurants, cafe's bars or the vast range of greengrocers and butchers. There are some great small bars opening that don't have a beer barn atmosphere, and the redevelopment of william street has added a real cosmopolitan and artistic element.

I love the culture and atmosphere of the place and haven't been mugged or bashed yet. Granted you get some idiots late at night on the weekends, but for the most part a lot of what you read about NB is media sensationalised crap.

The CAT buses can be standing room only around peak hour, but they are free and usually run every 5 minutes. I walk to work, but will often hop on a CAT if i'm running late or if its raining.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

ImPreSiV is a guruImPreSiV is a guru

Welcome to Perth-WRX Mate, and a pre-Welcome to Perth.

NOR definately, however there are other options. If you can find a rental in South Perth or Como, you could catch the ferry across the river in the mornings, then hop on a CAT bus to QV1, or near by...

Yokine is a great area too, nice and close to the city, yet out of the hussle and bussle. East or West Perth are also good options, east being cheaper than west generally.

Northbridge can be a bad place to be, but I've really only seen fights and what not go down, and usually they involve the natives... Never been involved in anything myself, although I do try and steer clear except for Friday and Saturday nights. My step sister used to live in an apartment on James St (heart of NB) and she loved it there, altho there was times she was followed home etc, but thats probably because she is female, and probably more vulnerable.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

catcha at standard level

Thanks all, funny how its always natives. The ones here like to get pissed sit under a tree and drink themselves silly, they are harmless. We have issue with teenagers throwing rocks and ganging up on people...
Old 12-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Sir AntiLag

Autopilot at standard level

Hi from another fellow Darwin expat (circa 1997). Natives here aren't like the full bloods you get sitting under the big trees at the end of Smith street mall. These are more like the half casts with chips on their shoulders that you are likely to see loitering outside Casuarina looking for trouble.

Yokine and Mt Lawley are older suburbs, bit like living in Stuart Park. Personally I think you should take advantage of living in a nicer home out in the Northern suburb's estates (reminiscent of the new parts of Palmerston but safer). Also being from Darwin I know that you don't know what a nice beach is or waves for that matter, when I got here I found the beach in summer to be absolutely awesome place to have fun. If your are inclined toward a swim and a short trip to the water, live west of Marmion ave when Nor.

People are less friendly and hard drinkers aren't (not by topend standards), There's no beer can regata and the water tastes funny. Worst of all there is no Pauls Iced Coffee or even a close substitute, I found this was the thing I missed the most about Darwin otherwise welcome to Perth (Dullsville) nicest place in Oz.

Last edited by Autopilot; 12-07-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:06 PM

Im in Butler, about 30-35mins on a good day to the city centre, but 2km from the beach! I love it up here! Heaps of rentals etc up here, or newer homes if you are looking to buy... Houses are much cheaper out this way too, because of the distance to town.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM
Flat Four Father

mitchwnz knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to mitchwnz Send a message via Skype™ to mitchwnz

May I suggest Vic Park. 5km from the city, close to trains... lots of cafe's etc etc.. I pay 360.00 for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom place with an alarm and air con...close to airports and main hwy's....
Old 13-07-2010, 08:01 AM
DCCD Donut Driver

catcha at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchwnz View Post
May I suggest Vic Park. 5km from the city, close to trains... lots of cafe's etc etc.. I pay 360.00 for a 3 bedroom 2 bathroom place with an alarm and air con...close to airports and main hwy's....

Damn thats pretty good. Yes I find that if your a bit further out you pay less.

Vic park thats SOR ?
Old 13-07-2010, 08:06 AM

Yeah its SOR.. alot of students in that area... but of a hole if you ask me... houses are older (60's) although you can find the newer places too if the old house has been buldozed.

$350 20-25mins north of the river will get you a 5-10 year old 4 bedroom 2 bathroom house on a 5-600mē block.

Are you planning to buy eventually, or just rent?

Tags
darwin, moving, person, perth