Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 01:37 PM
WRXRW

Default Buying a car from the East

Hey chaps, Im looking to buy my dream car from the east. I need advice on the things to ask of the seller in terms of literature, photos or any other relevant information that can help me make my mind up.

So far I have established a good line of communication with the seller and seems very forthcoming but I would hate to waste my time once its all over by paying the car a visit in the flesh and realising its not what Im after.

What's a trusted transport company & rough costs involved?
Old 09-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Banned

spanner81 at standard level

Ceva have been quite good to deal with, they will pickup and drop off the car door to door and price is very reasonable, they also insure the car. last quote i had was about $1200
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Heya randy, just got my car from over east. I would recommend a full workshop inspection. Take a look at the report for a car I didnt buy a couple of years ago. I can also send you the report I had done for the one I purchased. The original one was by MRT http://www.amnet.net.au/~wrx/poorwrx/ , but the one I purchased was from http://www.mtavehicleinspections.com.au/ . These cost about $200.

Also make sure you get the revs check done. Website will vary dependant on which state the cars in.

Make sure the seller fills out the transfer slip on the back of his rego papers and sends them to you. You will need it when you go to pay stamp duty in Perth.

I used these guys for transport and had no issues:
http://www.autotrans.com.au/
Cost me $1350 for the forry (classed as light commercial)
These guys are good too, theyre brokers and their price was pretty much the same as autotrans so I ended up going direct.
http://www.automove.com.au/

I also insured mine before I sent the money. I paid via DD and didnt have any issues. You can also send a bank cheque if you like.

Make sure you ask about tyre condition (inc spare), service history, accident history and photos from all angles in good light. Depending on the car you might also want to know if it has been modified and returned to stock. A good inspection will find all these for you as well, but its better to find out before you pay for the inspection if you can.

Also, I can give you a transcript of all the correspondence between the seller and myself during the course of the sale if you like. Pop me a PM with your current email addy if keen.

Last edited by Smokey; 09-09-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Scoobie Noobie

CLM at standard level

Pricing is pretty similar these days.

CEVA is one of the biggest operators. Given this is a dream car I'd check out their fully-enclosed prestige service. Budget around $1500 - $2000 depending on vehicle dimensions.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
STI Master

CDR RA at standard level

CEVA can also do a "non driveable" service which means just that. They dont drive the car. I am using this to send the rally car east. Too many horror stories of race cars turning up with fried clutches from being driven on and off trucks. The process that kills em is load onto truck at depot, transport to rail, send east/west, load back onto truck and transport to depot at other end. Those two trips on and off trucks, up the steep ramps, in the hands of some monkey has been shown to be enough to kill an as new clutch let alone crunch front lips etc. Not having the car driven will at least eliminate and mechanical abuse.

They also go one step up and do prestige/race car moves as well. Give them a ring Ramon once it comes time to move it. They have a sepcial department to deal with the "non driver" and pretige moves.
496 CI Injected Big Block. Carbon positive???
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Greetings Mr RW,

Would be good to get hold the ViN Number and photos of compliance plate.

If the numbers don't match then I'd give it a miss, or if research returns material fail then you save all the effort from the get-go.

Unless of course your plan is 'oooooo I love the shell of this vehicle and I'm-a change everything else'.

Also: What smokey said!

Last edited by mARC; 09-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Subaru Tech Division

[REXPLOIT] at standard level
Send a message via MSN to [REXPLOIT]

I cant believe it hasnt been asked already...

For a man of your calibre Ramon... what is the 'dream' car...?

Brent.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
WRXRW

working class dreams not nouveau riche aspirations!

cheers for the advice blaise and was good talking to ya, will make a plan of attack on the ethanol fuel crisis of '10!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:44 PM
The Modulator

American Dave is a guruAmerican Dave is a guru

I think you may need a bigger garage ?
Old 09-09-2010, 02:48 PM
STI Master

Smokey at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR RA View Post
CEVA can also do a "non driveable" service which means just that. They dont drive the car. I am using this to send the rally car east. Too many horror stories of race cars turning up with fried clutches from being driven on and off trucks. The process that kills em is load onto truck at depot, transport to rail, send east/west, load back onto truck and transport to depot at other end. Those two trips on and off trucks, up the steep ramps, in the hands of some monkey has been shown to be enough to kill an as new clutch let alone crunch front lips etc. Not having the car driven will at least eliminate and mechanical abuse.

They also go one step up and do prestige/race car moves as well. Give them a ring Ramon once it comes time to move it. They have a sepcial department to deal with the "non driver" and pretige moves.
Also, had my old rex on the train from Adelaide which killed the wheel bearings from sideways rocking action.

Tags
buying, car, east, it's just a guessing game, lets all have a wank over what it might be, quick, typical_gay_replies, weiner mobile ftw!