Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Earth maps (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/37574-earth-maps.html)

PsYcHeD 08-10-2010 06:44 AM

Earth maps

Can anyone tell me the name of the Australian company (W.A?) website that is similar to Google Maps but updates on a regular basis?

Soksta 08-10-2010 07:07 AM

Nearmap comes to mind.
[url]www.nearmap.com[/url]

PsYcHeD 08-10-2010 07:30 AM

Thats the one. Cheers mate

ImPreSiV 08-10-2010 09:08 AM

Nearmap updates monthly.

Don't hammer it tho, its pretty hard for a single person to do, but they log your IP address.

Nearmap recently sent Victoria Police a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars because they exceeded the 100,000 tiles per month quota. Our work has now blocked us from using it, as we were informed by Nearmap that we were very close to exceeding the quote per month and we would expect to be invoiced close to a million dollars.

Great way of making money!

Otherwise, it is a fantastic tool, with the Greater Metro Area being updated monthly, and the surrounding rural areas (Chidlow, Chittering, Pinjarra etc) updated on a 6 monthly basis.

Soksta 08-10-2010 09:17 AM

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;498453]Nearmap recently sent Victoria Police a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars because they exceeded the 100,000 tiles per month quota. Our work has now blocked us from using it, as we were informed by Nearmap that we were very close to exceeding the quote per month and we would expect to be invoiced close to a million dollars.[/QUOTE]

This is handy to know and could well be the reason why it has been completely blocked at my workplace.
Which is a real bummer :( if only google maps would update more regularly :D

ImPreSiV 08-10-2010 09:21 AM

google will buy out the perth company ipernica (who own nearmaps) I recon... be a great idea to get some shares... if only I had lots of cashola!

FYI, browsing includes 'downloading' tiles. The average person would download about 50 - 60 tiles in the space of 5 mins browsing.

Kato 08-10-2010 09:23 AM

Lol...

How the hell can they invoice you without a contract in place?

ImPreSiV 08-10-2010 09:29 AM

by clicking the button to enter nearmaps which says 'I'm a private user' which is what everyone did when it first started up, you were basically agreeing to the terms and conditions, which stated, that you were limited to 100,000 tiles per month.

Problem is, companies that have one IP for multiple offices, ie: all internet connections based in one spot, like my company, we are not 'private users' thus, we should have been paying a subscription fee from the beginning

I believe a corporate subscription is about $150,000 a year. Some councils in WA have already signed up to it, thus they are free to use it at will

mARC 08-10-2010 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;498460]Lol...

How the hell can they invoice you without a contract in place?[/QUOTE]

agreed!

Sounds like more scaremongering to me.

[QUOTE=ImPreSiV;498453]Nearmap recently sent Victoria Police a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars because they exceeded the 100,000 tiles per month quota. Our work has now blocked us from using it, as we were informed by Nearmap that we were very close to exceeding the quote per month and we would expect to be invoiced close to a million dollars.[/QUOTE]

And this was never contested?

I would love to have seen the ACCC's reaction to this.

Kato 08-10-2010 09:59 AM

That's fine, you enter as a private user.

Once you go over their limits of a private user, they would just block/contact you and say 'hi upgrade'.

They can't just send you an invoice for $1million which you are legally obliged to pay.