Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Krispy Kreme in administration (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/38176-krispy-kreme-administration.html)

GTB Liberty 01-11-2010 05:48 PM

Krispy Kreme in administration

Well doughnut fans I have some bad news - Krispy Kreme's Australian arm is in administration :(

[URL="http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/dough-krispy-kreme-whipped-20101101-1798u.html?autostart=1"]http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/dough-krispy-kreme-whipped-20101101-1798u.html?autostart=1[/URL]

Guess the blessed mix of fat and sugar just isn't enough down under :rolleyes:

EDIT - Mods we better hide this thread from American Dave. The loss of Krispy Kreme is almost like not having Independence Day. Couldn't stand to see a grown Dave cry ;)

[I]McGuigan said Kinghorn and the American owner of the Krispy Kreme brand, Krispy Kreme Doughnut Corporation, are supportive of the decision to go into administration and try to restructure the company.

The chain's 50 stores – all of which are company owned – will continue to trade for the moment. However, industry experts say up to half of the stores are unprofitable, which suggests some major rationalisation is required for the company to return to profitability.

Krispy Kreme Australia admits redundancies for some the company's 600 staff are a possibility, but says all entitlements will be met.

While Krispy Kreme stores attracted long queues when the company first launched, the business has struggled in recent years with the weak retail environment, poor site selection and a high-cost distribution model that meant fresh product had to be delivered to stores every day.

The problems were underlined in September 2008 when Soul Private Equity wrote down the value of its investment in Krispy Kreme to[B] zero[/B].[/I]

LadyinRed 01-11-2010 06:07 PM

Where is the end life button? I flew to Melbourne just to get krispy kremes..

American Dave 01-11-2010 06:11 PM

it's business as usual in fatville usa

DEDLYWEPN 01-11-2010 06:14 PM

Heard great things about them but never tried em, are they THAT good?? Everyone I know that's had them say they're amazing.

They were a victim of a boom/fad, they tried to keep up with demand but overcapitalised in the process. But don't worry they won't go under completely, just wait, a few hundred ppl will lose their jobs, they'll shut down a quarter or more of the stores - but in the long run they'll still operate in some form here.

American Dave 01-11-2010 06:21 PM

They are awesome if they are warm but cold they are just average and that is the problem with their business model here in Australia imo..to many petrol station shops and not enough full size service bakeries with drive thru service.

Jezza 01-11-2010 06:21 PM

Definately still a market for them, but the business will have to approach it smartly...

gorotsuki69 01-11-2010 06:27 PM

sad day for the Vic police force

jedi_luke 01-11-2010 06:29 PM

there was one across the road from my hotel when i was in japan 2 weeks ago , and there was a 24h exotic pet store , good to know i am only 10 mins away from a monkey and a box of krispy kremes just in case the mood strikes

lad 01-11-2010 06:40 PM

A grossly-good munchie stopper and if they'd opened a store at perth airport they coulda had some respec. For those of you turned on by organic foods it's interesting to note the standard glaced Krispy Kreme "delaminates" on a 5 hour flight from sydney.

Wozzernux 01-11-2010 07:30 PM

^ Delaminates like a tyre? Haha that's awesome :D

Never been interstate but mates have brought them back and I though they were alright, but Puffin Fresh and Donut King will do fine for me.

Jordiee 01-11-2010 07:34 PM

they are the best donuts i have ever tasted

when i went to sydney i had them for dinner 3 nights in a row

GTB Liberty 01-11-2010 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=American Dave;507310]They are awesome if they are warm but cold they are just average and that is the problem with their business model here in Australia imo..to many petrol station shops and not enough full size service bakeries with drive thru service.[/QUOTE]

That's the "administration" in a nutshell - [I]"awesome if they are warm"[/I]. The delivery logistics were never going to meet the original US model and , hence, the effort to try ($) caused them to fail.

They NEED to focus on high output stores that can supply a "fresh" product.

perthzed 01-11-2010 08:36 PM

domestic violence to rise 15%?

V3 RA 01-11-2010 09:29 PM

I would have thought business was booming. The amount of people who bring back 5 or 6 boxes on virgin/tiger flights is huge.

NVRENUF 01-11-2010 09:38 PM

surprising , My friend tried to open a franchise here but they knocked him back because they said it would take business away from the Melbourne airport outlet.

turns out they did that on their own haha

Sethor 01-11-2010 11:14 PM

[QUOTE=NVRENUF;507374]surprising , My friend tried to open a franchise here but they knocked him back because they said it would take business away from the Melbourne airport outlet.

turns out they did that on their own haha[/QUOTE]

That is the problem with their business model, all stores in Australia are owned by the Australian arm of Krispy Kreme. They should have allowed some franchised stores, I looked into a franchise & they spun some BS about quality control etc was better being owned & run by them.

dtrally 02-11-2010 12:11 AM

[QUOTE=V3 RA;507366]I would have thought business was booming. The amount of people who bring back 5 or 6 boxes on virgin/tiger flights is huge.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, sucked in all you fatties that squeeze past me with your 6+ boxes of sugarry shit. It's only a glazed doughnut FFS! Maybe I'm a cranky old bastard but when I see a fat arsed woman trying to shove a coupla boxes of that shit in an overhead locker next to my camera and laptop I feel like telling her "you've had enough already!!!":mad:

NVRENUF 02-11-2010 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;507406]Yeah, sucked in all you fatties that squeeze past me with your 6+ boxes of sugarry shit. It's only a glazed doughnut FFS! Maybe I'm a cranky old bastard but when I see a fat arsed woman trying to shove a coupla boxes of that shit in an overhead locker next to my camera and laptop I feel like telling her "you've had enough already!!!":mad:[/QUOTE]

haha very true,

GTB Liberty 02-11-2010 08:40 AM

[IMG]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/03/21/weekend.primer/cc_lutherburger.jpg[/IMG]

We obviously needed the Krispy Kreme doughnut burger to save the company :eek:

RichX 02-11-2010 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=dtrally;507406]Yeah, sucked in all you fatties that squeeze past me with your 6+ boxes of sugarry shit. It's only a glazed doughnut FFS! Maybe I'm a cranky old bastard but when I see a fat arsed woman trying to shove a coupla boxes of that shit in an overhead locker next to my camera and laptop I feel like telling her "you've had enough already!!!":mad:[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

They are overpriced sugary dough buns. I believe the airlines are no longer letting people put them in the overhead luggage compartments, and so they should!

MY99 02-11-2010 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=GTB Liberty;507344]That's the "administration" in a nutshell - [I]"awesome if they are warm"[/I]. The delivery logistics were never going to meet the original US model and , hence, the effort to try ($) caused them to fail.

They NEED to focus on high output stores that can supply a "fresh" product.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. They were so good a few years back when each store used to make their own.

stockt12 02-11-2010 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=NVRENUF;507374]surprising , My friend tried to open a franchise here but they knocked him back because they said it would take business away from the Melbourne airport outlet.

turns out they did that on their own haha[/QUOTE]

No, they actually wanted a company owned store here. Along with many friends, we all tried hard in terms of communication with kk australia without success.

fatboy 02-11-2010 12:36 PM

HEY, I resemble that remark!;)

VETTETOREX 02-11-2010 05:20 PM

I think it's just the name injected to our sub-concious that made them so popular. (Beastie Boys?)

In my opinion they tasted good, but were still just donuts.

I remember buying boxes and boxes along with everyone else and doing home deliveries off a flight from Sydney after lining up for ages.

The way people go on and on about them...WOW!

I think we are all FOOLS!

B4GT 02-11-2010 05:23 PM

had them few times as a snack in hongkong subways, they are good.

gorotsuki69 02-11-2010 05:24 PM

fresh donuts from Coles beats Krispy Kreme ones that's had 5 hours flight time any day.

GTB Liberty 02-11-2010 06:24 PM

I've bought them once ... They're nothing special.

Bit like Taco Bell - bastardisation of an acceptable food.

Real Mexican is brilliant so is a well made pastry.

the kiwi 02-11-2010 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=GTB Liberty;507597]

Real Mexican is brilliant so is a well made pastry.[/QUOTE]

is there a good bakery in perth? Mama Mia's has a good pie, and jesters is good for the availability.

But I have not found a real and decent, fresh apple turnover or custard square. Just obviously mass produced crap sold through the bakery.

The Suby 02-11-2010 08:17 PM

Why is this newsworthy? Or even thread-worthy?
Get over it fatties, who cares!

Kato 03-11-2010 08:33 AM

I'm more saddened there is no thread about Baskin and Robbins going into administration!

Will noone think of pedobear!

GTB Liberty 03-11-2010 09:55 AM

[QUOTE=The Suby;507615]Why is this newsworthy? Or even thread-worthy?
Get over it fatties, who cares![/QUOTE]

I brought it up because of the "airplane overhead locker cram" that was so prevalent on return trips to Perth.

[QUOTE=Kato;507714]I'm more saddened there is no thread about Baskin and Robbins going into administration!

Will noone think of pedobear![/QUOTE]

Another USA food franchise fail - I'm sure they'll be more to come.

Tommosaurus 03-11-2010 10:44 AM

Waiting for Taco Bell and Wendys (Burgers, not the fkn ice cream place!)

Sethor 03-11-2010 02:19 PM

Wendy's (Icecreams) are pretty much gone anyway, 5 WA stores closed down in the past few months (Carousel, Fremantle, Belmont Forum, Riverton & Innaloo) as the franchisees are being ripped off by the franchisor.
[url]http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/wa-franchisees-set-to-win-rights/story-e6frg2t3-1225936369663[/url]

dtrally 04-11-2010 12:32 AM

[QUOTE=Kato;507714]I'm more saddened there is no thread about Baskin and Robbins going into administration!

Will noone think of pedobear![/QUOTE]

I'm saddened that that other thread got locked before I could poke fun at Burke for using the phrase 'seal route'