Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   red light fine (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/38909-red-light-fine.html)

timboon 06-12-2010 01:42 PM

red light fine

hey guys i know this has been discussed a few times already, but the threads didnt quite answer my question.
last night at like 3am and i was at the lights of welshpool and roe hwy and i was watching the other lights go orange then red, so i started rolling cos i knew itd be green in a sec and i triggered the red light camera, i was barely moving just a slight release of the clutch thats all. im wondering if i will get the fine as both photos show my car in the same position? anyone know anything about this? i really dont want 3 demerits :S
and if i do get the fine is there anyway i can argue my way out of it?
thanks

Kato 06-12-2010 02:15 PM

Will you get the fine... Unknown. Will depend on the actual evidence at hand when they review the film.

If you get the fine can you get out of it? Again unknown. Only way to 'get out of it' is to go to court. If you are going for a technicallity get a good lawyer on board. Speak to you lawyer prior and ensure you have a better than 50% chance of winning. If you don't pay the fine and move on with life.

Basically, wait and see what comes in the mail - then decide the course of action.

timboon 06-12-2010 02:18 PM

hmm yer i know, im just unsure about what actually constitutes running a red light. is it actually going through the intersection or just being over the line?

RichX 06-12-2010 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=timboon;517814]hmm yer i know, im just unsure about what actually constitutes running a red light. is it actually going through the intersection or just being over the line?[/QUOTE]

This happened to me before - If you are in the same position in both photo's you should be alright.

Don't really recall a RLC at Welshpool/Roe either?

Technically you didn't run the red light, you were stopped at the lights, so the fine can't be for running a red light. If you were fined, it would have to be a different name of fine with a different penalty.

MadDocker 06-12-2010 02:19 PM

You will probably get the fine and I dont think you will get out of it.

Treat it as a cheap lesson, Perth drivers are notorious for running amber/red lights. $150 and 3 points is a lot better then getting T-Boned.

GTB Liberty 06-12-2010 02:24 PM

I know of a case where a tow truck driver received a fine for "running a red" where he had tried to stop but the weight of the vehicle and tow truck and wet road meant he locked up and stopped 1/3 - 1/2 the way through the intersection. He then proceeded to reverse back to the white line.

He was let off the ticket in court.

Rossco 06-12-2010 02:26 PM

You were more than 3 feet over the line to activate the camera.

My understanding is that if you are 3 or more feet over the line on a red signal you have entered the intersection & broken the law.

timboon 06-12-2010 02:30 PM

yer it was stupid in hindsight i just got lazy really, as at that time i didnt see anycars at all so i was just impatient at lights that were red for no reason :D. i know about half my car was over the line but i still wasnt in the intersection or close to affecting any cars that could have been travelling through it.
but im sure ill get the fine as "technically" i broke the law :(

MISSWRXYSTi 06-12-2010 02:32 PM

through my dodgy past of various tickets :( , I thought thats why the cameras takes two pics, so they can measure the distance/speed you were going to determine that you did go through the red light or not ? and not just over the line? where two pics take the same picture of you still at the line???... just a thought... make sense ?

I have been in line with someone at the same time and not gotten the fine before, although it was a speeding one and proabably 6+ years ago now, so may be different.

Phewwwwwwwww

Bob 06-12-2010 02:57 PM

The current state of play with the law would suggest that if they can get you, they will.