Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 01:04 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

crankin91 at standard level
Default I have been summoned!

Hi all,

I'm here once again for some much needed advice, I realise it’s probably a matter that I need to speak to a Lawyer about, but I doubt I could afford that.

A few months ago I was pulled over for speeding (60 in a 50 zone, I thought it was a 60 zone ) I received a warning from the kind traffic officers but then alas! I was informed my vehicle was unlicensed. I was shocked obviously as I’m a good catholic boy who always pays his rego and renewals on time and in full (sometimes extra if I'm feeling nice). So I went home and check, true enough it was overdue by about 2 months, I never received a renewal notice or any other notices and of course as there are no stickers, I had no idea I was out by so long. So I paid it then and there online, no pits check was required so I thought I was done.

Turns out not! I just received a summons to go see our sunny friends at the courts for driving an unregistered car. So my question is, what should I do? Plead guilty, pay the costs and such and admit I should have noticed? Or fight the man because I never received my notice?

Thanks for all opinions, even if you want to call me a dirty law breaking scoundrel.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

mARC at standard level

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but registration slips have 'First and Final Notice', plastered on the top of them?

Can't see how you'd be able to plead anything else but guilty in this case unfortunately.

Expect to pay around $500 for the privilege at least you'll get to listen to some rather 'interesting', cases whilst waiting for your turn.

Alternately I think you can plead guilty by mail 'check the back of the summons'.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Sir AntiLag

fsk at standard level

They will make you pay the fine regardless, your a victim of the new system unfortunately. If i was you id just explain in the past you would look at the sticker and you never received the notice that you did the right thing straight away when you became aware and that it wont happen again . Who knows if you have a good driving history/no criminal record they may not be that hard on you should you take it to court.

GL HF...
Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Scoobie Noobie

Lucifer at standard level

Sorry, can't help you other than saying that the last time I paid my rego I also didn't receive a renewal notice.
Fortunately I had a feeling it was due so visited the licencing centre, told the girl I was pretty sure my rego was due but... and she finished my sentence for me:
"You didn't get a renewal notice in the mail?"
Bingo!

Now, whether she said that because it is a commonly used excuse or because it is a genuine issue... :shrug:
Old 05-01-2011, 01:25 PM

teejay is a guruteejay is a guruteejay is a guru
Send a message via MSN to teejay

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

However, go in, explain yourself properly, and re-iterate that there was never a malicious intent to drive an un-regoed car.

Youll be guilty either way but ask for the conviction to not be put on your record.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

crankin91 at standard level

Thanks for the replies guys, I think in the end I'll just plead guilty by mail (can't afford a day off work). Does anyone know whether this is a criminal offence or just a traffic offence?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:59 PM

RichX knows their stuff

I thought i would reply here, as i have been in a similar situation recently - Court notice is currently sitting on my fridge! haha.

Anyway, was driving to work a few months ago, just pulled into the office and had the cops on me. Told me I was driving without a licence. Anyways, checked my licence there, and it was overdue by 10 months!

It's a fucked system.

Never even got a notice from the DPI - Goes to show how often i look at my licence. I hadn't changed addresses or anything. Luckily I had parked at work, as i wasn't then allowed to drive at all.

Got someone to drive me to DPI and i was driving again that afternoon, after a $100 fine. I haven't paid the fine and am happy to attend court to at least say that there is flaw in the system[ to which the DPI should be double checking and confirming with you it's been paid, SMS or email? come on, thats easy to do - And potentially save someone from having an uninsured accident - They are relying on Aussie Post to ensure it all goes through!

Sure, i should have noticed my licence was expired, but they have the onus on them to some extent also I believe. Come on, seriously? Anyways, the fine is now $168 - But i think I will go to court just so I can say that

I would like a record from DPI to confirm it had actually been sent. As if i would avoid a 50 odd dollar licence fee, compared to all the stuff which could happen if I didn't have a licence anyway. Is that stuff even registered mail?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

Shodown at standard level

Good olde Barnett & Co and their attempts at saving $$$

I have previously not received a rego in the mail and was able to avoid your situation due to the rego sticker - went to licensing centre and paid it on the spot all good.

If it were to happen now that rego stickers no longer exist (and are apparently illegal to leave on your windscreen as a reminder of what month your rego is due), I would have also been in your shoes.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Flat Four Father

BLUES at standard level

Before you plead guilty, you better check if they will impound your car????
Barbagallo - 56.03 (S); 1:08.09 (L)
Collie - 50.77
Possibly the most under-driven Evo X in the world??
Old 05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Ambitious but Rubbish...

Saint_23 is a guruSaint_23 is a guru

For any who aren't sure and are thinking "shit, mine might be due soon", you can check your renewal date online now...

https://online.transport.wa.gov.au/w.../registration/

I have reminders for my 2 renewals in my phone and outlook calendars

Last edited by Saint_23; 05-01-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Tags
cheque is in the mail, summoned