Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
DCCD Donut Driver

ACE at standard level
Default Who wants to be a Pilot?

Hi,

I've been contemplating getting a few flying lessons. Do any of you guys know what's involved, what it costs, where can i do it and how long it will take to become qualified. Any other information would be great.

Please note that I am looking to do this purely as a recreational hobby and am not associated with any terrorist organisations.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Sir AntiLag

Narchi at standard level

Well i did it through school so i got government subsidy. I payed about 250 for an hour with an instructor. This was in a cessna 152. im pretty sure u need 20 hours flying time (check up on that coz im not to sure) with an instructor to go solo then 20 hours solo (this was amount of flying time wen i was training back in 2002) to get ur license. Then when you have your license you need to do 10 take off and landings a yr to retain ur license. Give Royal Aviation Club at jandakot a call and they will confirm all the details.
Also heard theres a seminar happening there. It was on the radio. dont know wen tho.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:32 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

joeman at standard level

Hi there,
Try The Aeroplane Company.
2 Baron Way
Jandakot.
9417 9088
We just did a telephone system install for them and they offer all sorts of pilot training.

Roughly... General Flying Progress Test (must be done according to them) is about $7k

PPL is about $5.5k to $6k.

Happy flying
Old 03-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Sir AntiLag

AC Schnitzer at standard level

I'm with the Royal Aero Club of WA. They are pretty good with quite a large fleet of aircrafts. Flight Instructors are friendly as well.

Really depends what your after. If you just wanna carry pax and fly in the training area, a GFPT is enough but if your into cross country and wish to fly anywhere in australia, you'll need to get a PPL.

All courses depends how fast you learn and how often you go for training. My GFPT took me about 20 + hrs but took me about 6 months to get it coz I flew occassionally during the weekends.

You'll start off with SPL (Student Pilots Licence) ---> GFPT (General Flying Pilots Test) ----> PPL (Private Pilots Licence) ---> CPL (Commercial Pilots Licence) --> etc etc. Hence no jumping.

Each licence has its own prerequisite. More importantly, your medically fit and visual acquity is within reasonable range.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:32 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

I am with RACWA also, they are a great club, have 2 locations, Jandakot and Mandurah, Mandurah is good cos you dont get stung with landing fees etc..

My GFPT Took me 18 months but I was only flying once every 6 weeks since I was working in the Pilbara. I still have my GFPT and will go onto PPL soon. I am 3 hours thru my Aerobatics trainng at the moment. I just got back from Jandakot doing Barrell Rolls and Stall turns.

A small break down is:
Getting your Student Pilot License (I Think this is nothing)
Aviation Medical is around $140+ depending on who you go to. Dr. J. Singh in Maddington if he still does it is the cheapest.
Joining the Aero Club $150 odd per year
Getting lets say the PPL Book kit $100+ or Airs Technologies do a CD ROM for $1000 which takes your to ATPL If I recall?? I have both but cant remember
You can go solo usually in 8 hours if you put your mind to it.
Dual Training in a 152 Aerobat is I think... $196 odd per hour
I think it is cumplosary to do 20 hours before you can sit your GFPT

I love flying and I recommend everybody to get their pilots license, it is so much fun!
My dad and I were having a race to GFPT, I kicked his ass, but we ended up buying a plane, we bought a Cessna 172 and with buying it, then paying for the instructor, maintaining it and so on, we came out better off than hiring the clubs (mainly cos there were 2 of us) We sold it for a substantial amount more than what we bought it for so that pretty much paid our training.
Next plane is going to be a Cirrus SR22 if I win the lotto tomorrow night
or a Trinidad or Cherokee 6

Also you can do a course at RACWA for I think $6000. It is a week course and gets you to PPL if I recall I am going to do this course soon.

You can also bypass your GFPT and go straight to PPL but is HIGHLY urecommended!

Give the aeroclub a call on 9417 000 or 9581 6222 or www.racwa.asn.au
Old 04-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Sir AntiLag

swan-dogg at standard level

yea if ur only thinking of getting ur ppl go through racwa as u just go do your flying when it suits you. they allocate you a personal instructor that will train you all the way through.
i'm going through western austalian aviation college, start mid yr they offer a full time 12 month course, where at the end of which u get licenses for couple of cessnas 152/ 172, u also get a twin prop license, and your cpl allows u to get paid to fly ppl plus they teach u aerobatics ect everything!!
thats what i'm doing but costs a bit but ends up cheaper than if u get all the same things in ur own time at aero club
it's the same as the uni course but in one year full time, instead of part time over 3 or 4

if that makes any sense i hope it gets u up there

cheers swany
Old 04-03-2006, 12:45 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level
Send a message via ICQ to DAN682 Send a message via MSN to DAN682 Send a message via Yahoo to DAN682

Also I dont need much of an excuse to fly, so if you want to go for a fly, let me know, we will split the costs and go for a spin. This applies to anybody on the forum.

I prefer Mandurah as you dont have to screw around as much as you do at jandakot!!
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
Also I dont need much of an excuse to fly, so if you want to go for a fly, let me know, we will split the costs and go for a spin. This applies to anybody on the forum.

I prefer Mandurah as you dont have to screw around as much as you do at jandakot!!
I wouldn't mind going after the split cost idea. Quite a great way of clocking hours without paying $196.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Sign me up!
Nazi Sled Driver

DAN682 at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Schnitzer
I wouldn't mind going after the split cost idea. Quite a great way of clocking hours without paying $196.
yeah tell me about it.

Are you PPL or CPL or GFPT?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Sir AntiLag

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN682
yeah tell me about it.

Are you PPL or CPL or GFPT?
GFPT. I haven't flown for 2-3 yrs as I was enlisted into the Air Force in Singapore as its compulsory for all males at age 18. God damn conscription ...

I might have to redo my GFPT and if not, I'll go ahead with PPL.

Tags
pilot