Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   A Little Computer Issue (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/42045-little-computer-issue.html)

Dawn Patrol 06-05-2011 06:09 PM

A Little Computer Issue

G'day

I've recently tried upgrading my Windows XP computer to Windows 7. I've hit a fairly large hiccup and need some advice/help.

I purchased the update from a Microsoft site and got a student upgrade pack thing. Everything is legit.

During the install, I got to the final stage and it froze. So I hit the restart button. It took me to a message along the line of "Unexpected restart/error occured. Hit ok to restart, then restart installation." I click OK to restart, and it reboots back to the same screen (Never ending loop of restarting fail :( ).

When the computer is restarting, it looks like it is trying to do it in Windows 7.

I've taken it to a shop, and asked how much for a fix. I was told probably 300+. So I thought I'd try fixing it myself (obviously with minimal success...)

I assume I have something uncompatible within my computer which is causing the issue...

I think I have a number of options.

1.) Pay the shop to fix it...

2.) Somehow wipe the computer of everything (I backed everything up before trying the install), and borrow a mates Windows 7 disc and start from scratch (My version is just an upgrade, downloaded it and was given my own product code). I would have no idea how to do this, but I'm sure google can help.

3.) Same as step two, but with Windows XP disc.

4.) Throw computer out my window and get a new one...

5.) Somehow find the incompatible part and replace with a compatible part.

I've tried scouring the net, and can't find a solution...

If anyone has a clue I would be super stoked for some tips!!!

If it helps I can bust her open, and post up what all it's insides are.

Rexy03 06-05-2011 06:39 PM

Id do a format and fresh install not an upgrade

Assuming your computer is new enough to run Windows 7 ?

mitchwnz 06-05-2011 08:09 PM

^^ WHS... I recently upgraded an XP system to a windows 7 System and it didn't like it much.. just do a fresh install and use the serial you were provided... if that doesn't work PM me and I will fix it for a carton of piss :p.

GTB Liberty 06-05-2011 08:20 PM

ALWAYS fresh install.

gazlaz 06-05-2011 08:47 PM

didn't think you could do a direct upgrade from XP to Win7, may be wrong though.

^what they all said :P

boot from cd and fresh install

Luigi 06-05-2011 08:49 PM

Don't think you can Install Windows 7 from scratch with a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD.

Upgrading from Windows XP to 7 is not even recommended my Micro$oft anyway.

I would try a Fresh install using your Image you downloaded assuming you have burnt it to a DVD.

Force your computer to Boot from the DVD and try install windows formatting the HDD.

Bob 06-05-2011 09:53 PM

If its a legit upgrade call Microsoft help desk.

Gilpy 06-05-2011 10:22 PM

Fresh install. Starting with a clean slate prevents alot of headaches, provided your system can handle it, as Rexy03 said.

Dawn Patrol 06-05-2011 11:00 PM

Cheers for all the input!

I am fairly sure my computer is up for the job.

It is a few years old, but it has 3.01 GHz and 4gb of RAM, which I assume is enough to do it.

I've got my hands on a Windows 7 CD (didn't burn one, lesson learnt). Well, it says Windows 7 Backup Disc.

Think I am slowly making progress...

Managed to go into some BIOS menu (I am a bit of a dud at computers) and I fiddled around until I could convince the computer to Boot from a CD/DVD as a priority.

Got the install process going, from my internet research, it seems I should have tried repairing my system first? Guess time will tell...

Just wondering, by fresh install, does that mean not using an "upgrade" and basically deleting old windows and starting from scratch?

The bloody thing worked for both of my mates computer first time no worries. I seem to have a special relationship with computers where they always fuck up :o

Thanks again!!!

EDIT: SHIIIIIIITTTTT YEHHHH. Computer-0, Me-1. Yeow!!
Thanks again fellas!!!

Sayers 07-05-2011 04:45 PM

This happened to me during a fresh install of Win7 on a PC with Win XP on another partition. There is a fix for it, and I'm desperately trying to remember what it is. For a start, unplug all USB drives and peripherals (even the keyboard and mouse)

I think that's what fixed it. Once install proceeds, plug the kb and mouse back in.