Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   AV receivers from America (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/42116-av-receivers-america.html)

matthews 10-05-2011 08:46 AM

AV receivers from America

Hoping somebody can help. Thinking about a new receiver/amp for my home. As the dollar is so good is it worth looking at America for one. I have seen a couple on eBay that are about $500 less then over here but my concern is the different power supply. A converter is an option but are there other things that need to be thought of. The saving would have to be good for me to consider it as I would rather support our own business first. As i said its just a thought and to get other peoples idea or if somebody has done it already.

Thanks
Matt

RoughStilin 10-05-2011 10:38 AM

I have purchased a few electrical goods from the US, inclusive of Pioneer dj gear. I have never had any issues with it over the last 3 years I have owned it.

The only one to watch for is the amount of power the unit requires to run, opposed to the amount of power the converter can convert down to 110V. Basically, just make sure you buy a decent converter and you should be fine.

Don't forget about the tax incurred if over $1000 AUD :)

Simon

Damo69 10-05-2011 10:43 AM

Need to check if it can handle. 50 & 60hz

[-Sm0Ke-] 10-05-2011 11:13 AM

What are you chasing Matt? I can possibly help you out. Step down voltage regulators aren't much fun.
PM me with some info and ill chase it up

Jon911 10-05-2011 11:35 AM

is there a brand/model your looking for in particular?

matthews 10-05-2011 01:05 PM

One of the models I was looking at is the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1000. My basic requirement is a full iPod/Iphone control and 2 zones for inside and outside music. Any other features are a bonus.

[-Sm0Ke-] 10-05-2011 01:15 PM

What speakers are you looking at pairing it with? may give a better indication of which receiver to look at..

Andy! 10-05-2011 01:21 PM

I would look at the Rx-a2000 few more goodies for not much more.

How much do they cost from the US? they can be had a lot cheaper than retail right here in perth.

[-Sm0Ke-] 10-05-2011 01:27 PM

If you're adamant on importing a unit, I'd be looking at Singapore/HK (depending on brand) as they are identical to the units we get here and are often cheaper than the US. I would definately make sure you are fully aware of all the associated costs and implications of importing electronic equipment from other countries before going ahead. I've seen first hand costly mistakes that have been made over the years.

matthews 10-05-2011 03:02 PM

Its not that I want to import. I was only having a look at the cost. There is few on ebay at the moment for $750USD. I would then still need to ship it over and get a converter. Not a huge saving at the moment for the hassle.
As far as speakers go, I will be upgrading them at a later date. I have the speakers built into a cabinet and i need to sort out thecabinet before i can look at speakers. The thing is at the moment what i have is rubbish.