Perth-WRX.com  

Go Back   Perth-WRX.com > Off Topic Discussions > Non-WRX Discussion
Register Diddy Kart ArticlesAll AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Welcome to Perth-WRX, click here to register!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Perth WRX Old Skool Cool Dude

RichX knows their stuff

But all vehicles all have different lengths from axle to axle?

This would have to be a pressure sensor then to be accurate ?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Axles don't matter.

There are multiple sensors in the road, it measures the time for you wheels to hit the sensors then since it knows the difference in distance between sensors it calculates speed.

Basically if you are speeding in your car you technically set the unit off twice. Then the police issuing the fine can review to issue the correct infringement.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:56 PM

RichX knows their stuff

So these new cameras don't use LIDAR at all is what you are saying and the red light and speed is 100% run from the road based sensors?

If this is correct kind of makes the flash pointless, as it's seeminly aimed at traffic going past it from all the installs i've seen. Have you looked at the PDF files above from redflex?

+ link to police info around these cameras and how they work?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
STI Master

s20525xxx knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImPreSiV View Post
PS: There is a new fixed speed/redlight combo camera being installed facing North on Collier Rd / Tonkin Hwy intersection. It's not active yet, but will be by mid next week I'd say
its in my map

Update from new owner: 375whp at 1.4bar on 98, at Tokyo Motorsport
Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 PM
WRX Hi Five Club

jezzamcbezza at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
An 18 wheeler wouldnt matter as it only calcs the time taken to go from one sensor to the next. Number of wheels doesnt matter.
Correct

Quote:
Inspector Mark Ridley, from the WA Police Enhanced Speed Enforcement Program, said the Office of Road Safety had commissioned expert advice, including statistical analysis and modelling, to determine the placement of cameras.
Expert advice my arse. It's quite simple. Top 30 intersections for deaths/injuries = camera placement. What's that....only 1/3 of the top 30 dangerous intersections have a camera, and the other 20 do not???

8 = dangerous intersection
22 = profit cha-ching

Fcuk them, the lying sacks of shit.

Last edited by jezzamcbezza; 03-07-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Burnout!

Kato is a guruKato is a guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
So these new cameras don't use LIDAR at all is what you are saying and the red light and speed is 100% run from the road based sensors?

If this is correct kind of makes the flash pointless, as it's seeminly aimed at traffic going past it from all the installs i've seen. Have you looked at the PDF files above from redflex?

+ link to police info around these cameras and how they work?
Fixed cameras | Western Australia Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Police
The fixed red-light/speed systems record vehicle speed, take multiple digital photos of vehicles and capture video footage of the intersection before and after the offence.

Speed is detected using in-road sensors placed at a fixed distance apart and measure the time it takes a vehicle to travel between each sensor. If the sensors record that a vehicle's speed is greater than the posted speed limit, a photograph and video of the vehicle is taken.
So after you go over the sensors multiple pictures and video are taken of you and sent to the fines branch. And looking at the roads, they take a picture of the back of your car.

And yes I've read the redflex stuff. Says the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichX View Post
Shows the in-road sensors. No mention of lidar.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Potty Training Scoobie Noobie

artman at standard level

Quote:
Originally Posted by s20525xxx View Post
last year, goverment said there will be 30 dual function camera installed, and there are exactly 30 dots marked on my map. Im pretty sure I covered all those money rolling machines.

You dont seem to have the some of the ones that are installed, but not yet active (according to the police web link). Eg Guildford Rd/Tonikin, Gt Eastern Hwy Bypass/Stirling Cr
Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 PM

RichX knows their stuff

So given the sensors are on both sides, one would then assume you will be done for speeding on both sides too.

I wonder what the point of the flash is then, as it's on one side of the intersection and seems to be aimed at the arse of the car which goes past it.

edit, spelling
Old 04-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Scoobie Noobie

matt_in_perth at standard level

Great work s20525xxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPLICIT View Post
NOw can you develop some software to put in on NavFree on my iphone and we're all set !~

All ready is there - this site shows the fixed combo cameras in Perth (not the direction though) and also the daily announced mobile speed camera locations.
Speed camera locations Australia

You can then click on the link to download the file to almost every GPS software location.

If there are any of the new cameras not on the database you can email the support email address - the nice chat will add it once validated.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Scoobie Noobie

matt_in_perth at standard level

I was under the assumption that both the red light and speed cameras photo was taken of the back of the car and not in any other direction including the opposite direction (hence why the flash is aimed at the rear of the passing car. Therefore a red light evidence photo shows the red light and the car that has crossed over the line. The second photo can prove the induction loop speed calculation is correct as the distance the car travels between the 2 photos can be measured. The video is useful if an accident occurs.

When I looked the first time these came out, I didn't see the induction loop in the opposite direction after the line (not to be confused with the induction loops before the line that are at most traffic light so the traffic light controller known when traffic is waiting). I will have a closer look soon.

Tags
30, camera, directionconfirmed, dual, locations, redlight, speed