Perth-WRX.com

Perth-WRX.com (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/cmps_index.php)
-   Non-WRX Discussion (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/)
-   -   Dirty water supply? (http://www.perth-wrx.com/vb/non-wrx-discussion/46522-dirty-water-supply.html)

MY99GT 23-12-2011 11:22 PM

Dirty water supply?

Hey folks,

This might be a really really dumb question, but I've not encountered it before and would appreciate some help.

We just bought a house, which hasn't been lived in for a 5-6 months. We have been noticing today that there seems to be little white bits (I'd call them limescale if I were in the uk) in the water, it's not cloudy or anything, just these odd bits floating around.

I've run the tap for ages, and also put the water through my britta filter, but it's still the same.

It's driving me crazy!

Can anyone tell me what it is, and whether I need to get an inline filter re-installed (there is a small filter tap installed on the sink but it looks like the previous owners removed the filter for some reason). I was told that the filters are like $200 plus fitting costs... But id rather pay that and not have to worry!!

Anyways, your thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks

BLUES 23-12-2011 11:30 PM

Which suburb?

Master D 23-12-2011 11:31 PM

You can get the 2 stage under sink jobbies fitted that would/should fix it but i thought the brita would have gotten it out...

gorotsuki69 24-12-2011 12:08 AM

[QUOTE=BLUES;638808]Which suburb?[/QUOTE]

I bet it's NOR

seagull 24-12-2011 12:39 AM

I would recommend calling the water corporation fault number and stating your fault.

They may advise that there cleaning the fire main out or doing service work in the area that is scouring the line. In turn this lifts the sediment in the pipe line that services your house. They will prove you with sample jars or take a sample them self's. Often they will send a tech out and flush the main line, some times this makes it worse for a few days then becomes better.

Another place to look is your hot water system. if its a solar / gas unit some have an anode this may be braking down and contaminating the hot water line.

also heads up
DO NOT remove the water meter that enters your property to do a in coming water inspection. If a water corporation fitter comes to change it they strap a large copper cable across each side of the pipe work before they remove it.

MY99GT 24-12-2011 08:56 AM

Suburb is Heathridge. I'll give the watercorp a call and see how that goes.

I'm going to run a load through the britta again and see how that goes.

How much is the 2 stage system roughly??

teejay 24-12-2011 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=seagull;638835]I would recommend calling the water corporation fault number and stating your fault.

They may advise that there cleaning the fire main out or doing service work in the area that is scouring the line. In turn this lifts the sediment in the pipe line that services your house. They will prove you with sample jars or take a sample them self's. Often they will send a tech out and flush the main line, some times this makes it worse for a few days then becomes better.

Another place to look is your hot water system. if its a solar / gas unit some have an anode this may be braking down and contaminating the hot water line.

also heads up
DO NOT remove the water meter that enters your property to do a in coming water inspection. If a water corporation fitter comes to change it they strap a large copper cable across each side of the pipe work before they remove it.[/QUOTE]

Bridging cable - its precautionary as every once in a while one of our guys will get a zap.

The rest of it is pretty much right.

Considering its been 6 months, it may take a few days to sort it out.

REXXXED 24-12-2011 11:37 AM

I'm sure it will be fine after a few days Michael, 6 months is a long time for the pipes to be still and get a build up shit in them. I'd get a decent filter anyway though or at least a built in one for the fridge or whatever for drinking.

Ps: The little floating white bits makes it sound like someone came in your water supply before you got the keys ;)

jasonmurray 24-12-2011 01:22 PM

And the only person who knew the address before you moved in was me ;)

Merry Christmas Pommy Mick!

MY99GT 24-12-2011 01:36 PM

haha Thanks Sam & Jase!!

Sure it will be fine, i'm suprised my britta didn't filter it out... its a brand new filter so maybe i installed it wrong lol.